Bud Sasser to be released due to heart condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Classy move by Rams to sign him and get him his bonus. And it is only a 6th round choice. BUT...

I am a bit irritated. Waller was a better prospect anyway with his immense size, but the Rams got caught up in the hometown thing. Yes, it is just a 6th rounder, however th Ravens had no probs snapping up Waller immediately thereafter.

If Waller grows into his physical talent the Ravens got themselves a steal. Really liked their selection of williams in round 2 as well... He will immediately impact their offense.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Classy move by the Rams to give him his $113K. I hope it's nothing serious and he can continue the rest of his life without any problems. Obviously this sucks really really bad though. I liked him too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
isn't that kind of an uncaring and harsh comment?

They apparently signed him, to allow him to have access to the NFL benefits, and he gets his signing bonus "The Rams signed Sasser to his rookie contract Tuesday and he will receive his signing bonus of $113,737."

I think once again, its an example of the class this organization has regarding its players and the way the treat them.

Only if you choose to read it that way. I guess it depends on the person, because I didn't intend for it to be taken negatively. I was asking a legitimate question. Why would he need to sign a contract, why not just pay him the money like an employee, even if it is 113,000?

But you answered it------>NFL benefits

Irish

Starter
Bud Sasser, or as I am calling any draft pick after the 4th round who gets released this season, "Not La'El Collins," released due to heart condition

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Well that sucks! I hope they are able to get that problem under control eventually. I just threw his 1st TD to him yesterday in my Madden franchise too. On a side note, this really sucks we passed on Collins a 1st round talent in the 6th.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the Rams had to sign him - otherwise they'd have the medical exams after signing players, not before.

And while the rules require a tender, it doesn't say that a signing bonus is required. I think it's more that a drafted player is unable to sign with another NFL team - unless waived.

But I've been wrong before.

In any case, best of luck to him. Hopefully it's correctable and he can play - if not, hopefully he can go on to a long life.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I'm sure the Rams were glad they could pay him something and help out. But I'm not so sure they even had a choice in the matter...

With the new rookie wage scale, the players sign paperwork (I'm not sure what to call it... settlement papers maybe?) even before signing the official contract. This guarantees that all draft picks make money in the event of a pre-contract injury.

See Dante Fowler, who was injured before signing his contract. He's still guaranteed money. Even if the Jags are willing to give up on him now and cut him loose (they're not ready to do that... just pointing it out), he'll still make his slotted guaranteed $$$.

So I guess Enos isn't so generous after all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bud Sasser, or as I am calling any draft pick after the 4th round who gets released this season, "Not La'El Collins," released due to heart condition
LOL

@Akrasian ...I too wonder about the language & the meaning of tender, but I'll assume it means an offer to contract one's services....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Since Fisher/Snead have taken over, haven't all the draft picks been signed at once? This time Sasser was signed while no one else was. This would seem to indicate that the Rams F.O. wanted to help him get that money, no?