Bud Sasser to be released due to heart condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't read twitter here... any reason given?

Big Game

Living The Dream
wow a heart condition, thats a shame. First Denario Alexander now Bud Sasser great talents

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't read twitter here... any reason given?
Here's what the tweet says:

Filed to ESPN: Sources: Rams plan to release WR Bud Sasser today after he was unable to get cleared physically because of a heart condition.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams rookie wide receiver Bud Sasser's career with the team is over before it ever got started.

According to league sources, the Rams plan to release Sasser on Thursday afternoon because of a pre-existing heart condition. After multiple tests, he was not physically cleared to play. Sasser will be waived with a non-football related illness designation.

The Rams signed Sasser to his rookie contract Tuesday and he will receive his signing bonus of $113,737.

Sasser took the required physicals from the team before last month's rookie orientation but wasn't cleared at that time. Sasser has since sought multiple opinions, but none cleared him to play.

During the orientation, Sasser said he hoped to get his clearance in the coming weeks.

"It's a little frustrating, just have to wait for this whole physical thing to go through and that's all I can do is just wait," Sasser said then. "That's for them, their whole staff to be looking at that. I have to play the waiting game. I'm just waiting on the physical at this point."

The Rams used a sixth-round choice on Sasser in this year's NFL draft but he never had the opportunity to participate in so much as a single practice. He sat out the team's rookie orientation and was not present for the start of the team's organized activities that began Tuesday.

Sasser played at the University of Missouri, where he had 77 catches for 1,003 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2014. Despite that production, he was not invited to participate in the NFL scouting combine or any of the postseason all-star games.

Coach Jeff Fisher is scheduled to speak to the media later Thursday afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-cut-rookie-wr-bud-sasser-due-heart-condition

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Too bad for the kid was hoping he could compete, but his health is more important...Best of luck Bud and it opens the door for some of the UDFA's WR's like Isiah Ferguson and Tyler Slavin to list a few.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Another Mizzou guy bites the dust. Glad he's getting the help he needs and kudos for the Rams for helping him along, but the Mizzou honk in me hurts to put him with DX, Moe, Sam and co.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wasn't it just announced that Sasser signed his rookie contract? How much of that does he get? I am just curious. Why sign a contract at all. Couldn't the Rams have just paid him for the time he was on the team?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Well at least he has an education and a nice signing bonus. He should be able to start his post college life very comfortably. Best of luck to him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wow, that's extremely disappointing news. However, the last article said he has a pre-existing heart condition. Was this not known to teams before hand or what? How did he get away with it at Missouri or has it become worse? Surprising we'd spend a draft pick at all if it was known he had a condition that could keep him from ever playing.

Kind of weird and will have to wait on the details of everything BUT kudos to the Rams for still giving him a bonus. $100,000 isn't going to get him through life by any means but it sure is a nice jump to get started post college.

MrMotes

Starter
Wasn't it just announced that Sasser signed his rookie contract? How much of that does he get? I am just curious. Why sign a contract at all. Couldn't the Rams have just paid him for the time he was on the team?

Yeah, that's how we knew something was up, Rams don't sign their rookies this early. I think he got 100k signing bonus.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't know his whole history, but why is this now a problem? He played pee wee, high school and college football. And now he can't play? Imagine working your whole life at something and bein told you can't do it because of your health. I hope the kid has a back up plan.

rick6fan

UDFA
-snip-

The Rams signed Sasser to his rookie contract Tuesday and he will receive his signing bonus of $113,737.

-snip-

What a class act by the Rams. Sign him when they knew he wouldn't be cleared to play and give him $113,737 anyway. Hopefully that money will help get him started in real life...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Wow, that's extremely disappointing news. However, the last article said he has a pre-existing heart condition. Was this not known to teams before hand or what? How did he get away with it at Missouri or has it become worse? Surprising we'd spend a draft pick at all if it was known he had a condition that could keep him from ever playing.

Kind of weird and will have to wait on the details of everything BUT kudos to the Rams for still giving him a bonus. $100,000 isn't going to get him through life by any means but it sure is a nice jump to get started post college.
Apparently, he wasn't invited to the combine, where such things are discovered.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Sucks for him obviously. I'd say good luck to him, and keep your chin up. You never know how life pans out. This could be the making of him as a person and a man now. Treat it like an opportunity.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I don't know his whole history, but why is this now a problem? He played pee wee, high school and college football. And now he can't play? Imagine working your whole life at something and bein told you can't do it because of your health. I hope the kid has a back up plan.
yea a college degree and a free $100k to start with.