Bud Grant's Garage Sale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Iceman cometh....to a garage sale. Didn't even know our old nemesis was still around. He retired in 1983 and just turned 87.

Dec. 17, 1969 - NFL West Championship - Minnesota 23, L.A. Rams 20
Dec. 29, 1974 - NFC Championship - Minnesota 14, L.A. Rams 10
Dec. 26, 1976 - NFL Championship - Minnesota 24, L.A. Rams 13
Dec. 26, 1977 - NFC Divisional - Minnesota 14, L.A. Rams 7
Dec. 31, 1978 - NFC Divisional - L.A. Rams 34, Minnesota 10

--------------------------------
Bud Grant is having “biggest, best and last” garage sale
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 21, 2014

budgrantgetty-e1305056666600.jpg
Getty Images

For all the Minnesotans who are fired up about the 2018 Super Bowl but need something to do between now and then, you can rummage through Bud Grant’s stuff.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the former Vikings head coach is having a garage sale for the next three days, promising “no junk,” and many of Grant’s personal items.

While a lot of the stuff in the ad for his “biggest, best and last” sale is hunting and fishing gear, there are also some rare and “one of a kind” items from his personal collection.

We can only imagine the kind of stuff that piles up for an 87-year-old with the kind of resume Grant has.

But if you’re in the neighborhood and see a gently used Les Steckel in there for a decent price, let us know.

Bud Grant's garage sale promises Vikings treasures
By Kevin Cusick
kcusick@pioneerpress.com

If you love garage sales, but missed the chance earlier this year to buy Sid Hartman's old bathrobe, you're in luck. Another Minnesota sports icon is opening his doors to the buying public.

Hall of fame Vikings coach Bud Grant has posted a classified ad in a Minneapolis-based newspaper that shall remain nameless. It promises "Bud Grant's biggest, best and last garage sale," which will begin at 5 p.m. Wednesday at 8134 Oakmere Road in Bloomington.

The ad says there will be "No junk!" That might differentiate it from most garage sales. What it will have includes "Vikings stuff old and new, hunting, fishing, decoys, guns, outboard motor, snowmobile suits, helmets, antiques, clothing, furniture, books, pictures, many unique items."

Another posting on gsalr.com offers more details, saying Grant's sale will include "some of his NFL rare items, many one of a kind from his personal collection."

The sale continues on 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.

You can follow Kevin Cusick at twitter.com/theloopnow.

Bud Grant on 2018 Super Bowl in Minnesota: 'I hope I'm around'
By Chris Tomasson
ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

Former Vikings head coach Bud Grant, left, talks to new head coach Mike Zimmer at the Winter Park Fieldhouse in Eden Prairie on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014. (Pioneer Press: Jean Pieri)

Bud Grant turned 87 Tuesday and got a nice birthday present.

Minneapolis was awarded Super Bowl LII, to be played in the Vikings' new stadium in February 2018. The legendary Vikings coach, who then would be 90, sure wants to be there.

"I hope I'm around," Grant said shortly after Minneapolis beat out New Orleans and Indianapolis in voting by NFL owners in Atlanta. "That will be a bonus if I'm there."

Grant coached the Vikings from 1967-83 and 1985. He took them to four Super Bowls but lost them all. While he downplayed it, Grant did play a role in Minnesota's winning bid, appearing in a promotional video shown to NFL owners.

"I'm happy for the Vikings, certainly, and Minnesota's going to benefit, and I'm a benefactor of all of that," said Grant, who lives in Bloomington. "I had nothing to do with it other than a cameo appearance on the TV. But other than that, everybody's happy now."

Also thrilled about Tuesday's news was former Vikings defensive end Jim Marshall, who played in those four Super Bowls. He was vacationing in Florida when he heard the news.

"I'm excited about it," Marshall said. "It's a great event, and it's going to be a great venue. It's going to bring a lot of money into the city."

Minneapolis was host to Super Bowl XXVI in January 1992. Marshall said that kind of exposure is a big asset to the Twin Cities.

"It's a chance to show off everything that we have here, with our winter sports," he said.

Of course, the game will be played indoors in a sparkling new stadium scheduled to open in 2016.

Marshall, who lives in St. Louis Park, is one of a number of notable former Vikings who stayed in the Twin Cites. Center Mick Tingelhoff, a four-time Super Bowl participant who lives in Lakeville, called Tuesday's news "great for the Twin Cities" that will provide publicity "you can't buy."

Running back Chuck Foreman, a three-time Super Bowl participant who lives in Eden Prairie, said, "We've got a cold-weather city, but we've got a great new stadium" that will be a showcase.

With so many recognizable former players in the area, Foreman said the Vikings and NFL should take advantage of that in promoting Super Bowl LII. He said not much of that was done before Super Bowl XXVI.

"There's so much great history with the guys," Foreman said. "I think they should take advantage of using us to promote and to do things and to get ready. There's no time like now to start doing that. ... It's like a no-brainer to me."

Minneapolis beat out favored New Orleans on the final ballot to get the game. That means hall of famer James Lofton figures he will have to adjust his plans.

"I was looking forward to eating some gumbo," Lofton said. "I'll have to find a place that serves gumbo in Minnesota."

Lofton has broadcast the past five Super Bowls as a radio sideline reporter for Westwood One and expects to be on site for Super Bowl XLII. Lofton played in three Super Bowls as a star NFL wide receiver, including for the Buffalo Bills in their 37-24 loss to the Washington Redskins at the Metrodome in Super Bowl XXVI.

"It's a great city," Lofton said. "I obviously know the (Twin Cities) a little bit, playing for the Packers (from 1978-86). Big games are exciting. They bring people into town. ... Obviously, the weather can be a factor for people coming into town. But I'm pretty sure there will be plenty to do. ... And at least Minnesota knows how to handle snow."

Follow Chris Tomasson at twitter.com/christomasson.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Many times as a youngster those Vikings made me very mad. I've never forgiven them and I especially relished the beating the GSOT gave them in the 99 playoffs.

I've always felt they were #2 to the 49ers on the "fuck them" list because of those post season losses.

I'll wait for Selassie to chime in here.....I know it's coming hahaha.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many times as a youngster those Vikings made me very mad. I've never forgiven them and I especially relished the beating the GSOT gave them in the 99 playoffs.

I've always felt they were #2 to the 49ers on the "freak them" list because of those post season losses.

I'll wait for Selassie to chime in here.....I know it's coming hahaha.

Exactly. What Grant and the Vikings did to the Rams in those playoff losses between 69 and 77 is only a thorn in the side of us old-timers who had to endure those losses. The Cowboys are close behind in that category.

BeerOClock

Rookie
Geez, Bud Grant looks great in that picture.

I hope I look that good when I'm 86 (I doubt I'll even make it to 86).

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hate is not a strong enough description for my feelings on the purple queens.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
My mom (who I get into Rams fandom through) HATED the Vikings and Cowboys almost as much as the Niners back in the day.

SierraRam

Recreational User
My mom (who I get into Rams fandom through) HATED the Vikings and Cowboys almost as much as the Niners back in the day.

I'm surprised she didn't hate them more! The niners sucked for most of the 70's... ah, the good 'ol days

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would like to take this opportunity to be thankful for the Vikings, their purple uniforms, and Sibling Rivalry.

My older brother, Roy loved the Cowboys in the 70's. And much to my dismay, my younger brother Danny, liked whatever Roy liked. I refused to adopt their team, out of spite and I didn't know much about football back in the early 70's. I was only 5 or 6. So my sister decided she and I should pick the other NFC playoff teams and root against the Cowboys and my brothers. She chose Minnesota because of their purple uniforms. So that left me with the Rams....good thing I already liked their uniforms. A lifelong fan as born. I'm glad the Rams didn't wear purple.

69superbowl

Rookie
That old goat does look good for his age. Always respected him, but loathed his teams. In fact, the December 17, 1969 loss in Minny was a major day in my life. Due to that awful loss an ocean of bitterness and frustration was formed - and frankly helped me excel in sports. An injustice had been done. It is the genesis of my online moniker here and elsewhere. The nine-year old me was positive the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl that season - and would have crushed the minor leaguers from KC. Damn, that day still hurts. Luckily for the purple slime my anger was re-directed at the GD leg whipping, cheating ass, white whine and butterscotch sipping frothywhiners years later. F the whiners, but never forget to digitally abuse the Viqueens.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hate is not a strong enough description for my feelings on the purple queens.
Second that whole heartedly. Oh and the FUCK the Viqueens comment as well. Not to mention the home playoff game awarded to them by the NFL that should have been played in LA. WTF? I will never get over my hatred for that team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Second that whole heartedly. Oh and the freak the Viqueens comment as well. Not to mention the home playoff game awarded to them by the NFL that should have been played in LA. WTF? I will never get over my hatred for that team.

Having to play that game up there was so bunk.

At least we won't have any fingers falling off from frostbite at the game in Tampon. :cool:

SierraRam

Recreational User
That old goat does look good for his age. Always respected him, but loathed his teams. In fact, the December 17, 1969 loss in Minny was a major day in my life. Due to that awful loss an ocean of bitterness and frustration was formed - and frankly helped me excel in sports. An injustice had been done. It is the genesis of my online moniker here and elsewhere. The nine-year old me was positive the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl that season - and would have crushed the minor leaguers from KC. Damn, that day still hurts. Luckily for the purple slime my anger was re-directed at the GD leg whipping, cheating ass, white whine and butterscotch sipping frothywhiners years later. F the whiners, but never forget to digitally abuse the Viqueens.

Wow -- you were 9, I was 7. We had the best team in football in 68 & 69 but got robbed by having our playoff games on the road - even though we had the better record.

The bitterness of those defeats to the Vikes, Cowboys, and frikkin' Steelers made the GSOT sooo much sweeter for us old folks.

I'm ready for another run brothers!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Second that whole heartedly. Oh and the freak the Viqueens comment as well. Not to mention the home playoff game awarded to them by the NFL that should have been played in LA. WTF? I will never get over my hatred for that team.
I actually don't know the story here. Can you explain a little?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well hate to break up this love fest but I got no hate for the Vkres and sort of think their mascot is very manly.

Now some of the players i.e. Randy Moss who sprayed the ref. in the back with the water bottle I can't abide,but as a franchise under Grant I thought they were well run and pretty honorable folk.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well hate to break up this love fest but I got no hate for the Vkres and sort of think their mascot is very manly.

Now some of the players i.e. Randy Moss who sprayed the ref. in the back with the water bottle I can't abide,but as a franchise under Grant I thought they were well run and pretty honorable folk.

BLASPHEMY

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually don't know the story here. Can you explain a little?
'73 Rams record was 12-2 Dallas 10-4. We had to go to Dallas. In '74 Rams record 10-4 Viqueens 10-4 Rams beat the Viqueens earlier in the season therefore owning the tiebreaker. The NFL puts the game in Minn in the blowing snow.