Bucky Brooks; Back off Jared Goff!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
It irritates me a bit when I hear anyone talking about Tavon having yet to prove he is a deep threat.
Hard to become a deep threat when the playbook contains 101 ways to
throw a quick screen to Tavon.

jap

Legend
Hard to become a deep threat when the playbook contains 101 ways to
throw a quick screen to Tavon.

The real irritation is that Tavon has played mostly with QBs who lacked the arm strength and/or the accuracy to even find him deep. Case could never find Tavon deep on an NFL field littered with taller, savvy defenders. As a WR, Taven's speed has been mostly wasted because he hardly ever had any QB's who could reach behind the secondary. Jared cures all that now with a solid OL before him, a super talented RB to reduce the pressure on him, and a 'holy trinity' of QB/OC/HC handlers to make NFL life so much simpler for him. Tavon, Thomas, and Reynolds are all playmakers who can take the top off the D. All of the other WRs and TEs can sneak deep under the right circumstances.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I really like the idea of the 12 personnel and can't wait to see it...

RB Gurley - big play ability from the backfield.
WR Woods - possession option who can execute sight adjustments.
WR Kupp - bigger possession option who can do the same but also get YAC.
TE Higbee - huge target with good catch radius, will run option routes for Goff
TE Everett - elusive with the ball, will be a big play threat once he knows offense, McVay will keep him in space.

Kupp is 6'2", Higbee is enormous, Everett is a big receiver with RB skills, all of a sudden Rams are putting big targets out there for their QB who all have hands and should be where they're supposed to be. Plus Gurley if he regains his rookie form... Real nice look on paper.

Ah.Great minds think alike.lol.
I was just getting ready post some of the same thoughts on the 12 group as well.
I have been so caught up in what this offense can do for Goff.
Reading this article reminded me about how dangerous this grouping can
be with a back as deadly as Gurley and how he must be salivating like a rabid dog
when he sees what Mcvay has in store for the running game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I haven't seen a single thing from Jared Goff that tells me he is going to be a good NFL starting QB. I straight-out think the Rams made a mistake making him the number one draft pick. At this point all I can do is hope that I'm wrong. He has a great coaching staff in front of him now and a lot of new offensive weapons including an improved offensive line. If he can somehow prove me wrong I'll be absolutely ecstatic but I'm definitely not counting on it.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The real irritation is that Tavon has played mostly with QBs who lacked the arm strength and/or the accuracy to even find him deep. Case could never find Tavon deep on an NFL field littered with taller, savvy defenders. As a WR, Taven's speed has been mostly wasted because he hardly ever had any QB's who could reach behind the secondary. Jared cures all that now with a solid OL before him, a super talented RB to reduce the pressure on him, and a 'holy trinity' of QB/OC/HC handlers to make NFL life so much simpler for him. Tavon, Thomas, and Reynolds are all playmakers who can take the top off the D. All of the other WRs and TEs can sneak deep under the right circumstances.
Agreed.Love the 'holy trinity' mantra.lol
I think people will be surprised when they see
how affective Tavon can be when schemed properly
and just how good Jared's deep ball is when you give
a little time to throw.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I remember when Eli replaced Kurt....I thought he was horrible. In fact he still does that chuck and duck move....where he'll throw a pass and turn his back to the rusher to not get hurt...is he any better? IDK...you don't NEED a superstar at QB to win...it just helps. I think Eli has always had good receivers.

That said...I don't think a lot of you have seen really good QB's that weren't in a great position, but still looked like solid QB's. Tim Couch...David Carr...Marriota...Winston...Joey Harrington....and I'm talking rookie years...and some later turned into busts. Hell, I really liked Cade McKnown....Oh yeah, I really liked Todd Marinovich....I remember listening to a game on the Radio...JaMarcus Russell led his team to victory vs the Chargers....as a rookie...2 min drive...he's arrived...NOT.

No matter what anyone thinks or says....his first year is his first year...and he looked terrible....especially with pressure in his face.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol so you're calling me a troll. Point out 1 quote of mine that said I hope Goff fails. You can't. Stop making stuff up. Why can't I have a different view on our QB situation cause tbh neither one of us knows who is better. Goff haven't won a game or come remotely close to winning one. Mannion haven't had any opportunities in TC in previous OTAs. So why can't I be excited about him having McVay and staff to teach him too. Lol people are silly it makes me a troll because I don't think Goff was the right choice for this team.
So wait, you're saying I'm making stuff up?
That's classic. You're the guy who "quoted" the original article, but changed the words to fit your agenda.
You're too much

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No matter what anyone thinks or says....his first year is his first year...and he looked terrible....especially with pressure in his face.
Absolutely.
Don't get the Bradford treatment of 3-4 years to "prove" yourself.
He needs a dramatic turnaround this season. Hope it happens. It did for Eli, it didn't for others

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So wait, you're saying I'm making stuff up?
That's classic. You're the guy who "quoted" the original article, but changed the words to fit your agenda.
You're too much

No if you read what I said, I stated it would be better if he would have Reversed his article. I have no problem with him listing the reasons why Goff will improve my problem was he saying first that he was following the path. There is no path to follow to be successful everybody do it their own way he was making it out to be like there is some type of blueprint like follow this path you could be this. Which is exactly what he said.

You quoting his article talking about twitter trolls was a direct shot at me something I definitely don't appreciate and something I haven't done to anyone on this board no matter what different views we hold. Especially since you can't and won't find a quote from me where I said I want Goff to fail

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember when Eli replaced Kurt....I thought he was horrible. In fact he still does that chuck and duck move....where he'll throw a pass and turn his back to the rusher to not get hurt...is he any better? IDK...you don't NEED a superstar at QB to win...it just helps. I think Eli has always had good receivers.

That said...I don't think a lot of you have seen really good QB's that weren't in a great position, but still looked like solid QB's. Tim Couch...David Carr...Marriota...Winston...Joey Harrington....and I'm talking rookie years...and some later turned into busts. Hell, I really liked Cade McKnown....Oh yeah, I really liked Todd Marinovich....I remember listening to a game on the Radio...JaMarcus Russell led his team to victory vs the Chargers....as a rookie...2 min drive...he's arrived...NOT.

Exactly that was my problem with this article him making it out like Goff is following the Eli and Peyton path because he had a bad season. That's a bogus argument to me and it can be used in each direction like you pointed out. Im sure no rookie QB would wanna be 0-7 cause that's the path ELi took

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said:

That's not what the author said

He said he is following a path that could lead him to being a 2x Super Bowl champion and a 4time pro bowler. Not that much of a difference the implication is still there

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I for one appreciate the positive spin for once....sure it is possible, or not.... but it's nice to hear it could for once.... since the end of last year all I've heard about my beloved Rams is predominantly negative. ... I say Go Goff, Gurley, Rams...;)

Go Rams........ ;)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm not saying Goff will be another Aikman, but didnt Aikman go 1-15 his rookie season? I think he turned out to be OK as an NFL QB. Anything is possible, but IMO McVay is putting the peices around Goff to make it easier for him to have success.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
ME thinks you speaketh the truth. For Tavon, or anyone for that matter to be a successful down field WR, there needs to be TIME. Jared Goff will stand and deliver IF he has.... That. Whitworth and Kromer may be the biggest off-season pickups this team has had in a while.

Ram65

Legend
Bucky did a great job on this write up. Lot's of reasons to see Jared make big improvements on his and the team's play.

Based on how Cousins attacked blitzing defenses in Washington, it appears he was asked to find the hot read or sight adjustment that's built into the route. Considering how Goff countered blitzes in a similar fashion in college, he should be comfortable identifying and targeting the designated blitz-beater within the route.

"We needed dependable and reliable pass catchers on the perimeter," the Rams executive told me. "The quarterback needs to know that his top targets are going to be where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be there. Woods and Kupp will be in the right spots. That alone will help Goff become more consistent."

I wondered if last years WRs were on the right page. I'm sure Goff made mistakes but it wasn't just him. The play calls, poor offensive line play and WR's key drops all contributed to Goff's poor showing. Even with the poor early showing Goff made enough plays to see he has a big future. Easier play calls and more time to understand his reads will lead Goff to more success. Woods' and Kupp's route running and Goff's accuracy match up and could hard to stop.

Speaking of playmakers, the Rams have a pair of them at the tight end position in Gerald Everett (a second-round pick in April) and Tyler Higbee (a fourth-rounder in 2016). The duo could help Goff become more efficient as a quick-rhythm passer, playing pivotal roles as TE1 and TE2 in an offense expected to be more "tight end-centric," according to NFL Network's Steve Wyche.

The move to a multi-faceted tight end attack is sensible, given the unique athleticism that Everett and Higbee bring to the table. Plus, the double-tight end set creates problems for the defense because it allows the Rams to utilize a power running game with Ace (single back with tight ends on opposite sides) or Tight-Wing (single back with both tight ends on the same side).

Not to mention, the team can incorporate a number of movement-based passes off play-action fakes (bootlegs) to attack the defense with three-level reads (post, crosser and flat).

The Rams can also flex either tight end out to form a spread set out of "12" personnel. This is something the Redskins frequently utilized with Jordan Reed under McVay to create mismatches on the perimeter.

Considering the athleticism and route-running skills of Higbee and Everett, the Rams can spread opponents out to allow Goff to play "small ball" (quick game), giving the young quarterback an opportunity rack up completions and stay in manageable situations.

How exciting is this?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, 12 to 15 words. The Jeff Fisher "set the rookie up to fail" offense.

"Set the rookie up to fail while adding additional verbiage that did nothing but confuse". Hut Hut Hut!