Bruglers' 2015 Mock Draft: Winston to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Winston were white, nobody would ever think to compare him to Vince Young. He's nothing like Vince Young as a player. It amazes me that people compare Winston to players like Vince Young and Byron Leftwich. It's very common and it's done because he's black. Nothing like those two players.

For my money, Winston is most similar to Ben Roethlisberger.

Note: I'm not calling you a racist and I hate to play the race card. But it seems like people tend to compare black college players to black pros and white college players to white pros. I challenge anyone to name a true similarity beyond race for Winston and Young aside from both leading their teams to a National Title.
I don't see any resemblance to roethlisberger. Big Ben was slow as molasses in college.
I compare Winston to a thicker bridgewater or a taller Russell Wilson. Why? Because both players have great ability to run but chose to make plays with their arms. That's what I see in Winston. I think he's got some wheels on him when he wants to run. He just doesn't want to

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see any resemblance to roethlisberger. Big Ben was slow as molasses in college.
I compare Winston to a thicker bridgewater or a taller Russell Wilson. Why? Because both players have great ability to run but chose to make plays with their arms. That's what I see in Winston. I think he's got some wheels on him when he wants to run. He just doesn't want to

Eh I think he's similar in the pocket to Ben and has that same aggressive gunslinger type mindset where he'll hold the ball and take unnecessary risks. He is a more stout guy and stronger than Bridgewater and Wilson...both of whom are more elusive in their ability to evade sacks. But I can understand where you're coming from.

Regardless of your personal feelings about the guy's character, he's known for being a cerebral QB so I'm not sure where a Vince Young comparison would come from. Vince was always known for having a 10 cent head with amazing physical talent.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Eh I think he's similar in the pocket to Ben and has that same aggressive gunslinger type mindset where he'll hold the ball and take unnecessary risks. He is a more stout guy and stronger than Bridgewater and Wilson...both of whom are more elusive in their ability to evade sacks. But I can understand where you're coming from.

Regardless of your personal feelings about the guy's character, he's known for being a cerebral QB so I'm not sure where a Vince Young comparison would come from. Vince was always known for having a 10 cent head with amazing physical talent.

I think the Vince Young thing is just that - the concern isn't so much about the guys character - its about his intelligence. Someone who keeps making stupid decisions is by definition stupid. That's his 10 cent head. Yes he plays as a cerebral football player but there is a transition to the pros - I wonder if he'd be able to make it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah thee Vince young comparison is as accurate as comparing an orange to a bowling ball. Young couldn't pass for crap.
Winston has all the physical tools.
And what goes largely under appreciated is that Winston lost 2 of 3 of his top receivers from 13 in Benjamin and Shaw.
Release point aside, Aaron Rodgers sneaky wheels is also fair comparison IMO

Alan

Legend
Getting past the fact that I would really hate it if we drafted Winston, I don't think Snisher would do it. They've already taken too many chances in the draft that haven't worked out to take another one this fraught with the possibility of disaster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Vince Young thing is just that - the concern isn't so much about the guys character - its about his intelligence. Someone who keeps making stupid decisions is by definition stupid. That's his 10 cent head. Yes he plays as a cerebral football player but there is a transition to the pros - I wonder if he'd be able to make it.

I don't want to be insulting but if you're concerned about Winston's intelligence on the field, you don't know much about the guy. Nobody would question his FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE. As I said in the post you quoted, regardless of your personal feelings about his character, there's no doubting that he's a cerebral QB on the field.

There are plenty of QBs in the NFL's history that were not smart players off the field but were brilliant QBs on it. The Vince Young comparison is a bad one. Vince was a poor passer that lacked football IQ but had astounding physical skills and running ability.

Jameis Winston is a pocket passer with top tier intellectual command of an offense in college that is considered to be relatively complex and pro style(E.J. Manuel struggled his entire career to grasp the reads and checks at the LOS while Jameis mastered it as a RS Freshman).

There are plenty of questions if the guy is a ticking time bomb off the field. But I'm sorry, there just aren't any questions for me if he has the intelligence to handle the pro game on the field. That's just not in question. He's a highly intelligent QB that has many of the same responsibilities in college that QBs in the pros have.

People are confusing stupidity off the field for stupidity on it. Jameis Winston is a brilliant player on the field(as well as a leader) and an immature idiot off of it(based on what is out there).

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't want to be insulting but if you're concerned about Winston's intelligence on the field, you don't know much about the guy. Nobody would question his FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE. As I said in the post you quoted, regardless of your personal feelings about his character, there's no doubting that he's a cerebral QB on the field.

There are plenty of QBs in the NFL's history that were not smart players off the field but were brilliant QBs on it. The Vince Young comparison is a bad one. Vince was a poor passer that lacked football IQ but had astounding physical skills and running ability.

Jameis Winston is a pocket passer with top tier intellectual command of an offense in college that is considered to be relatively complex and pro style(E.J. Manuel struggled his entire career to grasp the reads and checks at the LOS while Jameis mastered it as a RS Freshman).

There are plenty of questions if the guy is a ticking time bomb off the field. But I'm sorry, there just aren't any questions for me if he has the intelligence to handle the pro game on the field. That's just not in question. He's a highly intelligent QB that has many of the same responsibilities in college that QBs in the pros have.

People are confusing stupidity off the field for stupidity on it. Jameis Winston is a brilliant player on the field(as well as a leader) and an immature idiot off of it(based on what is out there).

I wasn't comparing him to Young - I was saying that people question his intelligence because he does stupid things and stupid is as stupid does!

There is a difference between smarts and football IQ though I accept that.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
If the Rams draft a QB with the first pick this team is toast. The Rams are still trying to get into the playoffs and now they may draft a replacement for their franchise QB. Its things like this where they earn the nickname Same Ole Lambs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't comparing him to Young - I was saying that people question his intelligence because he does stupid things and stupid is as stupid does!

There is a difference between smarts and football IQ though I accept that.

I can't blame you for that...but then again, Dan Marino wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. Not sure he was literate. ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
8. Kansas City Chiefs – CB Marcus Peters, Washington
The Chiefs have some question marks in the secondary, especially after parting ways with Brandon Flowers over the offseason. Peters isn't a household name, but his combination of size, length and athleticism makes him an attractive player to develop at the NFL level.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/06/univ-of-washington-dismisses-marcus-peters/

Univ. of Washington dismisses Marcus Peters
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2014

peters.jpg
Getty Images

A potential first-round cornerback has a fairly large red flag flying in his front yard.

The University of Washington has dismissed cornerback Marcus Peters from the football team, a day after he reportedly got into an argument during practice with an assistant coach.

“It’s never one thing. We’re not going to dismiss a guy because it’s one thing,” coach Chris Petersen said, via theSeattle Times. “That’s not what we’re in this business [to be] about. But when you feel like it just can’t work, you gotta do what you’ve gotta do.”

Peters previously had been suspended for one game after throwing his helmet and gloves on the sidelines following a personal-foul penalty. He also got into an argument with coaches during Saturday’s game and missed practice on Tuesday.

So, in other words, someone will make him a first-round pick, and he’ll eventually be traded for a one, three, and a seven before being given away for a Twix bar. Just the one bar, not the second one.

WvuIN02

Starter
Winston will get the Rams back to winning lots of games, and suddenly the "I'm done with the Rams and taking my ball home"crowd will be watching again.....mark my words.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be more than happy if the Rams drafted Winston in round 1. Thing is I don't think the Rams will be drafting high enough to get him and if they are close enough to make a trade up I would hope they do it.

I'd trade this years first and second and next years First and second to move up if the Rams were picking between 6-11. I am not sure that would get it done though. Winstons football IQ and leadership skills are off the charts. I think he will be better than Andrew Luck and if the Bucs or Raiders pick first neither would pass on him, especially for an overrated Mariotta.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I would be more than happy if the Rams drafted Winston in round 1. Thing is I don't think the Rams will be drafting high enough to get him and if they are close enough to make a trade up I would hope they do it.

I'd trade this years first and second and next years First and second to move up if the Rams were picking between 6-11. I am not sure that would get it done though. Winstons football IQ and leadership skills are off the charts. I think he will be better than Andrew Luck and if the Bucs or Raiders pick first neither would pass on him, especially for an overrated Mariotta.
I just can't see the Raiders drafting a QB again next year.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
not gonna happen. there's a difference between guys that are rough around the edges like we've drafted and a punk bitch like Winston who thinks life is one big party and he can do whatever he wants. he would self destruct this team. karma will catch up with him