Bruglers' 2015 Mock Draft: Winston to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
2015 Mock Draft: Could Dallas go quarterback top-10?
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
September 29, 2014 12:35 am ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...mock-draft-could-dallas-go-quarterback-top-10

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo signed a lucrative contract extension last year that has him playing his home games at AT&T Stadium through the 2019 season and, so far, he's having a productive 2014 season. But there are legitimate concerns about the long-term durability of his back and at 34 years old, Romo's best days are behind him.

Despite the win Sunday night over the Saints, the Cowboys could be selecting in the first half of the 2015 NFL Draft and next year's quarterback class will have multiple prospects worthy of a selection that high. Dallas came close to drafting Johnny Manziel in last year's first round and might not be able to pass up on a franchise-caliber quarterback next year.

*The selection order for this mock draft is based on the projected outcome of the 2014 NFL season by the NFLDraftScout.com staff. The Cleveland Browns own the rights to the Buffalo Bills' selection due to the Sammy Watkins trade.

1. Oakland Raiders – DL Leonard Williams, USC
The Raiders have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL and desperately need an injection of young talent on the defensive line that is currently filled with veteran cast-offs acquired via free agency. Williams, who might be the best player in the 2015 NFL Draft class, would giive the Raiders a building block to pair with Khalil Mack in the front-seven.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
Jacksonville drafted Luke Joeckel out of Texas A&M No. 2 overall two years ago, but the Jaguars still have issues on the offensive line, allowing a league-high 17 sacks so far this season. Ogbuehi was a young freshman in College Station when Joeckel stared for the Aggies, but now he's the starting left tackle for Texas A&M and could follow in his footsteps as a high first round pick.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
The Buccaneers have struggled to consistently push the ball on offense in 2014 and will likely be in the market for a quarterback next spring unless Mike Glennon takes a stranglehold on the starting job. From a physical and mental standpoint, Mariota checks almost every box for NFL scouts and projects as a more refined version of Colin Kaepernick.

4. St. Louis Rams – QB Jameis Winston, Florida State
Despite a laundry list of immature incidents, Winston is likely still destined to be a top-10 pick because of his immense talent on the field and the Rams have shown in the past they aren't afraid to draft talent that might come with some baggage. Sam Bradford is under contract for the 2015 season, but with his injury past, it's time St. Louis addresses the future of the position.

5. Cleveland Browns – OT Andrus Peat, Stanford
The Browns strongly considered an offensive tackle with their top-10 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft and will probably again in 2015 if Mitchell Schwartz doesn't secure his grasp on the starting right tackle spot. Although he still needs to iron out several inconsistencies, Peat has been blessed with outstanding natural tools and his high ceiling will see him come off the board early.

6. Washington Redskins – FS Landon Collins, Alabama
In the 2004 NFL Draft, Washington drafted one of the best safety prospects of the last 20 years fifth overall (Sean Taylor). And they might have a chance to draft a similar ballhawk with Collins, who is as well-rounded as they come with his ability to play both the run and the pass. With this likely being Ryan Clark's last season with the Redskins, Collins would fit as the starting free safety from day one.

7. New York Jets – DE Dante Fowler, Florida
The Jets' defense is getting pressure in the backfield this season, but don't have a dominant pass rusher who scares offensive coordinators. Fowler is an active, relentless pass rusher who has lost weight and translates as an impact pass rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

8. Kansas City Chiefs – CB Marcus Peters, Washington
The Chiefs have some question marks in the secondary, especially after parting ways with Brandon Flowers over the offseason. Peters isn't a household name, but his combination of size, length and athleticism makes him an attractive player to develop at the NFL level.

9. Cleveland Browns (from BUF) – WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
Regardless of who is at quarterback, the Browns have to get stronger at the wide receiver position, especially on the outside where Josh Gordon's absence has left a glaring hole. Cooper isn't an elite size/speed prospect, but he plays fast with the natural receiving characteristics needed to dangerous threat in the NFL. Cooper at the X, Andrew Hawkins at the Y and Gordon at the Z would give Cleveland an impressive trio next season.

10. Dallas Cowboys – QB Brett Hundley, UCLA
I'm a Tony Romo supporter. But the Cowboys know that Romo is a hit away from a potentially career-ending injury with his past back troubles. So if Dallas has a chance to draft a franchise signal-caller for the future like Hundley, it wouldn't be a surprising pick in the least. The UCLA passer is still unpolished in some areas and he wouldn't be pressed into day one action in Dallas.

11. Tennessee Titans – QB Connor Cook, Michigan State
Unless Jake Locker takes a big step forward in his development in 2014, there is a chance this season is his final one in Tennessee. And although the Titans drafted Zach Mettenberger a year ago, there were more than few reasons why he was a sixth round pick. An offensive-minded head coach, Ken Whisenhunt likely wants a quarterback who can push the ball downfield and command the huddle and Cook checks those boxes as he continues to improve with every snap at Michigan State.

12. New York Giants – DE Shawn Oakman, Baylor
The strength of the Giants' Super Bowl runs over the last decade was their talented defensive line, but that's no longer the case with the current roster in New York. Although they come in different packages, Oakman has some similarities to Jason Pierre-Paul, who the Giants drafted in the first round a few years ago – both have uncanny athleticism, natural power and loads of untapped potential.

13. New Orleans Saints – OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
Ben Grubbs and Jahri Evans have multiple Pro Bowls on their resumes, but both are on the wrong side of 30 and have some lingering health issues, making interior offensive line depth a need area for New Orleans. Scherff can probably stay at tackle if needed, but he would be a mauling guard from day one.

14. Houston Texans – CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
Houston is strong in the front-seven on defense, but could use help in the back half, especially at cornerback with former first rounder Kareem Jackson hitting free agency after this season. Ekpre-Olomu doesn't have elite size, strength or speed, but he's quick, fluid and instinctive with the cover abilities to match-up with anyone.

15. Miami Dolphins – WR/TE Devin Funchess, Michigan
Whether he fits best at wide receiver or tight end in the NFL, Funchess will be able to help Miami in either area, possibly playing a hybrid version of both. The Dolphins need to continue and surround Tannehill with weapons and a big, athletic target like Funchess adds another dimension to Miami's offense.

16. Minnesota Vikings – RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
Who knows what the future holds for Adrian Peterson, but there is a real chance his time in Minnesota is done. The Vikings drafted Jerick McKinnon in the third round and Matt Asiata has been a touchdown machine, but if Gurley is available, he will be tough to pass up.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska
Pittsburgh needs to continue and get younger and faster on defense and need to add another pass rusher, especially if a long-term deal isn't worked out with Jason Worilds. Gregory is still very raw, but the size, speed and natural talent are there for him to develop into a dangerous pass rusher.

18. Atlanta Falcons – DE Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State
It's not easy to be optimistic about the Falcons pass rush situation right now with question marks on the roster at defensive end. Calhoun needs to add a power element to his game and continue to develop, but is a young up-and-comer who displays some first round traits.

19. Chicago Bears – OLB Shaq Thompson, Washington
The Bears need to get faster and more talented on defense, specifically at the linebacker and defensive backs levels. Thompson is a hybrid linebacker and safety with speed to burn and developing instincts that make his potential very intriguing.

20. San Francisco 49ers – WR Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
If not for the off-field issues, Green-Beckham would be mentioned as a top-10 draft pick, but the former Missouri Tiger will likely fall on draft boards due to maturity concerns. San Francisco might view him as “worth the risk” at this point in the draft, giving the 49ers a specimen to groom and eventually take over for Anquan Boldin.

21. Baltimore Ravens – CB P.J. Williams, Florida State
The Ravens situation at cornerback is interesting because Jimmy Smith is due for an extension soon and Lardarius Webb, who already received his long-term contract, has struggled with several nagging injuries. At the very least, Baltimore needs to add cornerback depth through the draft and Williams has the skill-set to play the nickel and on the outside.

22. Detroit Lions – DT Eddie Goldman, Florida State
With Ndamukong Suh expected to hit free agency, the Lions will be in the market for interior defensive line depth next off-season. Goldman has been dinged up, but when he's on the field, his combination of power and quickness have had a substantial effect on opposing offenses.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – DE Shane Ray, Missouri
The Eagles pass rush hasn't been the strength of the team so far in 2014 and it wouldn't be a shock if they address the position in the first round in back-to-back drafts. Ray has the first step burst and quickness to be a regular in the opponent's backfield.

24. Carolina Panthers – OT Ty Sambrailo, Colorado State
With Jordan Gross retiring after the 2013 season, the Panthers have entered this season with Byron Bell as the team's starting left tackle. Time will tell if he settles in and secures the job long-term, but the early feedback is the Panthers could be looking for a new option there next off-season and Sambrailo is an intriguing option.

25. Green Bay Packers – CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
The Packers re-signed Sam Shields to a long-term deal last off-season, but will have other decisions to make this upcoming off-season at the cornerback position with Tramon Williams and Davon House both hitting free agency. Waynes fits the skill-set that Green Bay looks for at the position and is an ascending prospect.

26. Arizona Cardinals – DL Arik Armstead, Oregon
With 33-year old Darnell Dockett out for the season with a serious knee injury, the Cardinals could potentially address that position in the draft next season. Armstead is still very learn for the position and looks more like a basketball power forward, but his natural skill-set and potential are off-the-charts.

27. New England Patriots – DT Danny Shelton, Washington
Due to injuries and age, Vince Wilfork's days in New England are numbered and Shelton would give Patriots added beef up front while also serving as a long-term plan for the future of the nose tackle position. He has the natural size and girth to occupy multiple blocks while also showing the range to make plays all over the field.

28. San Diego Chargers – OL Lael Collins, LSU
San Diego's offensive line has been just good enough, but has room for improvements in several areas. Collins is a three-year starting left tackle at LSU and has the skill-set that fits best inside as a mauling run blocker and agile pass protector vs. interior rushers.

29. Indianapolis Colts – OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
The Colts gave a lot of money to Erik Walden and drafted Bjoern Werner in the first round two years ago, but the team has struggled to consistently rush the passer with Robert Mathis suspended and hurt. Beasley is still new to the defensive side of the ball, but the natural athleticism will draw some Bruce Irvin comparisons and likely land him somewhere in round one.

30. Cincinnati Bengals – WR Kevin White, West Virginia
Is either Marvin Jones or Mohamed Sanu a legitimate No. 2 option opposite A.J. Green? Cases could be made for both, but White would give the Bengals and Andy Dalton a boost at the position and help elevate the offense.

31. Denver Broncos – ILB Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State
The Broncos have some young talent at linebacker on the depth chart, but are missing a consistent thumper between the tackles. McKinney is just that with the strength and downhill speed to blow up blocks and make plays on the ballcarrier.

32. Seattle Seahawks – DE/OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville
The rich get richer. Seattle has a formidable defense and a lot of options, including pass rusher. Mauldin has played defensive end and linebacker over his time at Louisville, showing the ability to effectively play both positions and be a threat collapsing the pocket and stopping the run.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I honestly don't think Fisher will take him. Vince Young 2.0 is what I see from this guy, maybe worse.

Fisher and Snead won't draft this kid, but they will happily trade with someone dumb enough to want a headcase under center.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Blah blah blah........ Fisher will not take this guy. And I would be surprised if we went QB in the first round. Sorry.... you heard it here first.....it will not happen in 2015.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That draft position is not very optimistic. Only better than the Bucs, Jags, and Raiders...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
God I hate draft talk. Can we at least wait until the season is half over to start talking about next year? I swear some people would rather their team do bad just to get a good pick. It hasn't worked for us, Cleveland, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay or Buffalo. I would sacrifice my entire draft to have a good record and get to the playoffs every year. Half our draft isn't even playing right now. Who the fuck cares.

AZRamsFan93

I would be overjoyed if we got Winston without having to trade. I would prefer the Oregon kid, but Winston is a real talent. He will grow up.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Winston is the best QB in the draft. Say what you want about him off the field, but he's a hell of a QB. The question teams have to ask themselves is does his skill on the field outweigh his issues off it? I'm not quite sure, and I would be fine if we did or didn't draft him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to know how these September mock drafts match up to the real thing. If anything, I think this guarantees the Rams WONT get Winston...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly don't think Fisher will take him. Vince Young 2.0 is what I see from this guy, maybe worse.

If Winston were white, nobody would ever think to compare him to Vince Young. He's nothing like Vince Young as a player. It amazes me that people compare Winston to players like Vince Young and Byron Leftwich. It's very common and it's done because he's black. Nothing like those two players.

For my money, Winston is most similar to Ben Roethlisberger.

Note: I'm not calling you a racist and I hate to play the race card. But it seems like people tend to compare black college players to black pros and white college players to white pros. I challenge anyone to name a true similarity beyond race for Winston and Young aside from both leading their teams to a National Title.