Browns sign Josh McCown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Browns sign Josh McCown
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptlkmzrmn2q0mdy5n2e5yzzknmuxntuyyzjkndq2ytc1-e1424260282259.jpeg
Getty Images
Josh McCown is a Cleveland Brown.

The veteran quarterback and the Browns have agreed on a contract today, his agent Mike McCartney confirmed on Twitter.

McCown was released this month after a rough first year in Tampa Bay. He previously had a very promising showing during the 2013 season while filling in for Jay Cutler in Chicago. Cleveland has to hope it’s getting the Chicago version of McCown, and not the Tampa Bay version of McCown.

Cleveland also has to hope that McCown can work well with Johnny Manziel, teaching Manziel what it takes to become an NFL quarterback but also starting for the Browns this season if Manziel isn’t ready.

The arrival of McCown in Cleveland will almost certainly mean that free agentBrian Hoyer, Cleveland’s starter for most of last season, is going to sign elsewhere.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian Hoyer 10-6 in his last 16 starts. Josh McCown 4-12. Both cover only 2013-2014 sesons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not a bad move tbh. McCown isn't a long term answer but he has shown he can play at a good level when everything around him is right. He is better than Hoyer in that respect so it's an upgrade.

We can expect them to draft a QB as well of course.

FRO

Legend
Brian Hoyer 10-6 in his last 16 starts. Josh McCown 4-12. Both cover only 2013-2014 sesons.
I hate attributing W/L to one player. Hoyer may be a better QB, he may not. I think they are equally bad. Until QBs are the only guys on the field I won't attribute a W/L record to them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Weren't they talking about Buffalo last night?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate attributing W/L to one player. Hoyer may be a better QB, he may not. I think they are equally bad. Until QBs are the only guys on the field I won't attribute a W/L record to them.
Everyone knows that it's not a one-man game, nonetheless, when the NFL and Elias Sports Buruea began touting it in the days when Elway passed Tarkenton and Unitas it became fair game. Guys like Aikman and Bart Starr get "credit" for being great even though their stats were not comperable to a Fouts or Marino, etc. So, the stat has been vetted enough for use in a discussion.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I wouldn't hate God if the Rams to signed Brian Hoyer for Bradford bad knee insurance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoyer and McCown are both equally bad. They're not options for a team that might actually need them to start more than a game or two. I feel bad for Cleveland fans if they're counting on McCown to be their starter next year.

I don't want Hoyer on the Rams. He's not insurance for Bradford. Shaun Hill is a better QB than Hoyer and I don't consider him enough insurance for Bradford.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't want Hoyer on the Rams. He's not insurance for Bradford. Shaun Hill is a better QB than Hoyer and I don't consider him enough insurance for Bradford.

So is Matt Moore better insurance than Shaun Hill? And if not of the free agent quarterbacks, who do you believe would offer the best insurance for Bradford? And you can't answer "None of them.";)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is Matt Moore better insurance than Shaun Hill? And if not of the free agent quarterbacks, who do you believe would offer the best insurance for Bradford? And you can't answer "None of them.";)

I mean...if I had to choose one, Matt Moore would probably be the best. But he hasn't gotten meaningful PT since 2011. Jason Campbell is another option who has been capable in the past.

Ryan Mallett is probably the best option in terms of potential but I don't see us wanting to pay for him. I think Houston will give him solid money to stay with them.

Regardless, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of those three starting 12+ games for us.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Should've gotten Bridgewater when you had the chance Brownies.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
My first thought was "why in the hell would they give him 3 years for $15 million" ??? Obviously they can get out of it by cutting him if it doesn't work out, but what is that number about ??? I just don't get how you pay this guy that kind of money...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty wild stats
Mccown career
49 career starts. 17-32 record. 11,000 yards 61td, 59% comp, 6.6 ypa, 76 passer rating
Bradford
49 career starts. 17-30-1 record.
11,000 yards 59td, 59% comp, 6.4 ypa, 79 passer rating.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Pretty wild stats
Mccown career
49 career starts. 17-32 record. 11,000 yards 61td, 59% comp, 6.6 ypa, 76 passer rating
Bradford

lulz

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I mean...if I had to choose one, Matt Moore would probably be the best. But he hasn't gotten meaningful PT since 2011. Jason Campbell is another option who has been capable in the past.

Ryan Mallett is probably the best option in terms of potential but I don't see us wanting to pay for him. I think Houston will give him solid money to stay with them.

Regardless, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of those three starting 12+ games for us.

Are you still big on the idea of getting Glennon from TB (if possible)? I could have misread/misremember but I thought at one point he was who you wanted the Rams to get for insurance. Where do you put him in comparison to either Moore or Campbell?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Pretty wild stats
Mccown career
Bradford

On the surface you could say, hey that's pretty similar, so they must be very comparable QBs. But the stats only tell us part of the story.

If you consider who McCown was throwing the ball to. He's had Fitz and Boldin in AZ, Brandon Marshall and Jeffrey in Chi, and Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson in Tampa.

Bradford has had. . . . .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you still big on the idea of getting Glennon from TB (if possible)? I could have misread/misremember but I thought at one point he was who you wanted the Rams to get for insurance. Where do you put him in comparison to either Moore or Campbell?

Better than Campbell. Similar to Moore the last time Moore played. And Moore was solid the last time he played. But Glennon is much younger and cheaper.

Yea, he's the guy I'd want but I wouldn't want to give up our 3rd straight up for him.