Browns hire Gregg Williams for DC job/Blake Williams for LB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wish Gregg Williams the best, it was not his fault the Rams did not win.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 3m3 minutes ago

Told Gregg Williams will be bringing assts. Brandon Fisher, Dennard Wilson & Blake Williams to #Browns. Possibly more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 3m3 minutes ago

Told Gregg Williams will be bringing assts. Brandon Fisher, Dennard Wilson & Blake Williams to #Browns. Possibly more.

I'm good with that. Was worried he'd take Waufle. Surprised that Chuck Cecil isn't on the list. He did an incredible job with our safeties.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
giphy.gif

lockdnram21

Legend
Am I really the only one that thinks GW is overrated?

The dude had 4+ 1st round picks on his D line (a future HoF'er in Donald at that)
a pro bowl CB (Jenkins) and a franchise CB (Johnson) to work with the majority of his time here.

2 lock down corners and a line that can get after the QB on any snap is a GIANT handicap for any DC.

6-10, 7-9 and 4-12 fall on his shoulders as well. I'm ready for a change.
1 lock down cb Tru is not a lock down cb not even close... He's a good #2 cb

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't expecting Williams to be back but it seems weird to know that it's final and he's gone.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Didn't take long for him to find work.
Wish we could have seen how good his defense could have been with an average NFL offense contributing.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Didn't take long for him to find work.
Wish we could have seen how good his defense could have been with an average NFL offense contributing.
Guess we'll never find out with his 10 yard deep CB scheme will we?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I mean we really couldn't, the right side CB was always getting burnt, usually deep. It would've been worse if they tried to press.

And the DC before Williams, Walton, played the same off coverage scheme. Maybe it was a Fisher thing.

But yes it drove me nuts as well. 3rd and 5 and the CBs are 10 yards off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nothing wrong with off coverage. People choose things to pick at, but there was always a method to GW's madness. It was part of his defensive philosophy. And it worked until the team quit.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I mean we really couldn't, the right side CB was always getting burnt, usually deep. It would've been worse if they tried to press.

And the DC before Williams, Walton, played the same off coverage scheme. Maybe it was a Fisher thing.

But yes it drove me nuts as well. 3rd and 5 and the CBs are 10 yards off.
Without a doubt.. we consistently gave teams first downs to create drives to beat us to cost us a game. I'm pretty sure the first season he was here the db's played no where as loose as they have been afterwards and IMO his scheme worked pretty good. Giving up 1st downs at critical moments of the game was just shit. Hope we have a peddle to the medal guy come in.
Nothing wrong with off coverage. People choose things to pick at, but there was always a method to GW's madness. It was part of his defensive philosophy. And it worked until the team quit.
i don't agree one bit. Dude blew game lead after game lead giving up yards and first downs and expecting the defense to hold in the red zone. Glad he took a hike.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i don't agree one bit. Dude blew game lead after game lead giving up yards and first downs and expecting the defense to hold in the red zone. Glad he took a hike.

Okay. How did Williams blow the lead? What did he do that deviated from the gameplan we employed over the entirety of the game?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the defense being worn down due to the offense's failure to sustain drives...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I doubt he would have had much else to choose from. When you take a job with the Browns... you must know the end is near.

…..

Legend
Wow.....

What does that say about your options when you go from the Rams to the Browns?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I doubt he would have had much else to choose from. When you take a job with the Browns... you must know the end is near.

Wow.....

What does that say about your options when you go from the Rams to the Browns?
But if Jackson could get that offense going they could be dangerous. The Brown's have a lot of money and draft picks to play with, the can build a team on both sides. I think the biggest issue with our D is that it was on the field too much.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Was never a fan of his bend but don't break style, not because of any philosophical objection. Just because it wasn't great for the nerves when watching.

But, he is clearly an excellent DC and will be missed. Our D this year got tired towards the end of the year having to try to carry a historically bad offense. In the end the D broke but it as inevitable I suppose.

Could've been top 5 consistently if it hadn't been under so much pressure all the time.

Anyway, we move on. Don't blame Williams for leaving. We couldn't guarantee a job nor should we. Can't be forcing coaches on a new head coach.