Browns hire Gregg Williams for DC job/Blake Williams for LB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Am I really the only one that thinks GW is overrated?

The dude had 4+ 1st round picks on his D line (a future HoF'er in Donald at that)
a pro bowl CB (Jenkins) and a franchise CB (Johnson) to work with the majority of his time here.

2 lock down corners and a line that can get after the QB on any snap is a GIANT handicap for any DC.

6-10, 7-9 and 4-12 fall on his shoulders as well. I'm ready for a change.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Greg Williams is a good DC, it'll sucks if he leaves esp if he takes Wilson and Waufle with him

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to keep him, but no incoming HC worth his salt, would accept an imposed DC on his staff. imo.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Helluva DC.
Now he gets to field a top notch defensive unit asked to support the 31st ranked offense rather than the 32nd ranked.

I don't think the Browns D is any better than their O.

Serious infusion of talent is needed there for any DC to succeed.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

The dude had 4+ 1st round picks on his D line (a future HoF'er in Donald at that)
a pro bowl CB (Jenkins) and a franchise CB (Johnson) to work with the majority of his time here.

2 lock down corners and a line that can get after the QB on any snap is a GIANT handicap for any DC.

6-10, 7-9 and 4-12 fall on his shoulders as well. I'm ready for a change.
Hard to give him a lot of blame when the Rams couldn't even field an AVERAGE NFL offense.

Even the Ravens needed the offense to score occasionally. Having hall of famers and a great defense only gets you so far before your offense needs to do something.

Can you really blame him when his offense ranks bottom of the league almost every year he was here? What is he supposed to do, have his defense score every game? Unlikely and unrealistic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That thought has crossed my mind, but less in thinking about Williams and more in thinking about our defense as a whole.

No question the offense has handicapped this defense for years... and there have been stretches where we've been pretty good... but we've never really performed consistently on defense and I've always thought it got more credit than it deserved.

Good unit.

Never really great.

But, it would have been good enough to make the playoffs if the offense was closer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That thought has crossed my mind, but less in thinking about Williams and more in thinking about our defense as a whole.

No question the offense has handicapped this defense for years... and there have been stretches where we've been pretty good... but we've never really performed consistently on defense and I've always thought it got more credit than it deserved.

Good unit.

Never really great.

But, it would have been good enough to make the playoffs if the offense was closer.

Personally, I think our defense was more underrated than overrated. Our offense had tendency to inflate the points per game allowed by allowing the opposing defense to score TDs. And our offense was always poor at consistently sustaining drives during Williams's time here.

Our defense ranked 7th and 8th in points per drive allowed in Williams's first two years. And prior to us quitting after that NO blowout, I bet we were in the top 8 again this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally, I think our defense was more underrated than overrated. Our offense had tendency to inflate the points per game allowed by allowing the opposing defense to score TDs. And our offense was always poor at consistently sustaining drives during Williams's time here.

Our defense ranked 7th and 8th in points per drive allowed in Williams's first two years. And prior to us quitting after that NO blowout, I bet we were in the top 8 again this year.

Yeah. It's difficult to evaluate a unit separate from another for those very reasons.

It's also difficult for me to pick a stat that defines success for a unit. Points per drive? Points per game? Time of possession? Yards per game? For one to be a strength another may have to suffer a little and appear a weakness... and/or the offense has an impact on it, etc.

It just never felt like a dominating unit, for long enough stretches, to feel like a great defense to me. Good. Very good at times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. It's difficult to evaluate a unit separate from another for those very reasons.

It's also difficult for me to pick a stat that defines success for a unit. Points per drive? Points per game? Time of possession? Yards per game? For one to be a strength another may have to suffer a little and appear a weakness... and/or the offense has an impact on it, etc.

It just never felt like a dominating unit, for long enough stretches, to feel like a great defense to me. Good. Very good at times.

Points are what matters to me. They're what win and lose games. It's how I choose to evaluate defenses.

Frankly, I think it never felt dominating because our offense was so bad. There were stretches we could have dominated if we had even an average offense. And who knows what that momentum would have done. Winning cures a lot of issues.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

It would be a great "grab" by the Brown's! But a Terrible move by Williams!!
A) He doesn't know for sure the Rams won't try and re-sign him!
B) It won't be the only offer he gets, and he can do better!!
C) Cleveland is the undisputed Worst Teams in the NFL and will be for years to come!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what I'm taking out of this is that Ray Horton is available for Defensive Coordinator?
No thanks!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hard to fault a real pro like Greg...We gave him a chance to get back on his feet after bounty gate. After that embarrassment by NO....I'm happy to part ways with the man that plays safeties 25 yards deep, 10 yard cushions, and predictable blitzing. NEW BLOOD!!!!!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Horton pls. I'd take him over GWill. Traditionally runs a 4-3 correct? Hard to judge his work with the lack of talent he had in Cleveland. Was great in AZ.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
If he takes it the Brown's will now be known as the leagues dirtiest defense.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Best of luck to him in Cleveland. He's a very good DC. Our defense was always among the better units for points allowed, until this year, when they finally threw in the towel and gave up. If they ever had any support from the offense I think they would have been elite.

I would have been okay with him staying, but am not upset to see him go and favored a change. We need a fresh start everywhere. Defense included. Plus, I was tired of seeing CBs giving up huge cushions, nobody wrapping up when they tackle, opponents converting 3rd and (very) long, stupid penalties, and constant blitzes even when opposing teams were diagnosing them perfectly all game and gashing us repeatedly.