Britain leaves EU. Brexit happens.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wasn't sure it would happen, but it did and the British people are quickly going to find out what they voted for...

All the markets are basically not happy, the Pound is at a 31 year low.

This has the potential to affect a lot of things going forward.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Such a crap day here, I'm in shock, everyone (75% of the young) voted to stay in. The older generation, with pensions etc voted out. We're so screwed now as a nation, even the people heading the Brexit campaign are starting to backtrack.

I've already lost consulting work as it was EU funded, so we're already financially worse off, the future for our children is now really uncertain and it's frightening. My wife and I are considering moving!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, and there was the lie put out there that immigrants were draining the NHS, but the data showed that immigrants actually put 31% more into the system than they took out (Brexit supporters only think of poor immigrants and not highly skilled immigrants that actually contribute quite a lot to Britain's economy).

Was listening to NPR and the British expats in Spain and around the EU are screwed.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The only positive is that Scotland will become independent at some point now.

Shaun, come on up. You're more than welcome up here with people who share your values.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Well, and there was the lie put out there that immigrants were draining the NHS, but the data showed that immigrants actually put 31% more into the system than they took out (Brexit supporters only think of poor immigrants and not highly skilled immigrants that actually contribute quite a lot to Britain's economy).

Was listening to NPR and the British expats in Spain and around the EU are screwed.

I work for the NHS. It will literally grind to a halt without foreign labour. Polish and Nepalese cleaners, Indian doctors, Spanish nurses to name just a few well represented groups. I'm devastated today. Devastated.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Britain, you will be fine. Once you quit hearing that giant sucking sound of your money going to Greece and Italy, things will settle and your sovereignty and national pride will right your markets and your Pound. I probably lost $40000 today but it will trickle back in and a year from now, I won't notice.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I work for the NHS. It will literally grind to a halt without foreign labour. Polish and Nepalese cleaners, Indian doctors, Spanish nurses to name just a few well represented groups. I'm devastated today. Devastated.

My wife's life was saved this year by an Indian surgeon, African anaesthetic and various Asian and Welsh nurses. The ward cleaners were from the Philipeans

My worry is that people still see "immigrants" we're one planet, we're one nation, we're one people - why can't we just be one?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Britain, you will be fine. Once you quit hearing that giant sucking sound of your money going to Greece and Italy, things will settle and your sovereignty and national pride will right your markets and your Pound. I probably lost $40000 today but it will trickle back in and a year from now, I won't notice.

I've lost a chunk of work today as it was funded by EU financing. It was to develop entrepreneurs and new business in Wales, I'm not the only one that's lost out today.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
My inheritance took a massive fucking lump today as well but I don't care about that. I can make more money.

What I can't do is explain to my Polish colleague who was crying today why she's apparently no longer welcome here. This is about people, not markets. People are hurting.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
My inheritance took a massive freaking lump today as well but I don't care about that. I can make more money.

What I can't do is explain to my Polish colleague who was crying today why she's apparently no longer welcome here. This is about people, not markets. People are hurting.
Yep, one of my clients, who's a Croatian is in absolute shock, she works for a British company but just said - "it's scary, am I safe now?"

bluecoconuts

Legend
My family in Ireland (Republic) are worried.... I think it was a mistake, but we shall see. If anything good happens maybe it'll be a United Ireland again, and an independent Scotland.. I get the feeling that the UK may do a revote... Hopefully.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
As long as this doesn't affect Arsenal signing a striker I'm good

image.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll just contribute two things with the added statement to not worry.

First thing is you guys mention the immigrant skilled labor. Do you honestly think the people in charge don't know this will be an issue and won't work to address it? There may be a hiccup and or delays in changing things around from the EU regulations but this issue and many others will be taken care of.

Secondly I'm not sure if you're aware or not but this so called Brexit isn't binding. Both Houses of Parliament need to create legislation to follow through with this vote. It's possible that they could just ignore the will of the people, I know nothing like that has ever happened before:LOL:

Or they could fail to reconcile said legislation and nothing happens.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@shaunpinney and @ScotsRam - does leaving the EU automatically mean the immigrants have to leave country? I don't know enough about the particulars of the change enough to argue one side or the other - never mind the fact that it is none of my damn business as I am not a British citizen. But it seemed to me that the only change is that the British government now self determines their immigration policies.

As far as the pound goes, I'm guessing it will stabilize when the dust clears. I don't like hearing that one of our members here was harmed by the change but I also admit to not knowing how permanent these harms will be.

As far as one people... personally, I view sovereignty as being very important. The idea of a one world government is a frightening proposition as far as I'm concerned. But then I'm someone who believes central governments are the most corrupt entity known to man. I want as little power over my daily life as possible being handed to some huge bureaucratic body. I'd rather have it in the hands of community leaders that I either know or have the opportunity to step into their office to bend their ear. As much as possible, government should be closely linked to those they represent and to whom they should answer.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"never mind the fact that it is none of my damn business as I am not a British citizen."

Shame your president doesn't think like you!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"never mind the fact that it is none of my damn business as I am not a British citizen."

Shame your president doesn't think like you!
You'll get no argument here.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@shaunpinney and @ScotsRam - does leaving the EU automatically mean the immigrants have to leave country? I don't know enough about the particulars of the change enough to argue one side or the other - never mind the fact that it is none of my damn business as I am not a British citizen. But it seemed to me that the only change is that the British government now self determines their immigration policies.

As far as the pound goes, I'm guessing it will stabilize when the dust clears. I don't like hearing that one of our members here was harmed by the change but I also admit to not knowing how permanent these harms will be.

As far as one people... personally, I view sovereignty as being very important. The idea of a one world government is a frightening proposition as far as I'm concerned. But then I'm someone who believes central governments are the most corrupt entity known to man. I want as little power over my daily life as possible being handed to some huge bureaucratic body. I'd rather have it in the hands of community leaders that I either know or have the opportunity to step into their office to bend their ear. As much as possible, government should be closely linked to those they represent and to whom they should answer.
The thing is I don't think anyone knows anything, the Brexit campaigners are now saying we should be careful about when and how we leave the Eu. They're hypocrites. Britain is a multicultural multinational nation and it should stay that way.