Brian Quick appreciates every day, even training camp, after returning from shoulder surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY NORM SANDERS
News-Democrat

6244434.jpg

EARTH CITY, MO.
St. Louis Rams receiver Brian Quick was well on his way toward a breakout season in 2014 until being derailed by a significant shoulder injury that included a torn rotator cuff and dislocated left shoulder.

That’s bad for anyone, let alone an NFL receiver who takes major hits to every parts of his body on a regular basis.

In only six games, the 2012 second-round pick was leading the Rams with 25 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns. He was injured Oct. 26 against Kansas City and has spent many of his waking moments since then doing anything and everything to get back to the sport that he loves.

“I’m a fighter and everybody can see it,” said Quick, who not only made it back to the field for the start of training camp but seems to be moving well while hauling in passes. “It’s not up to me to show them, I have to have something inside of me that wants to come out here and fight with my fellow teammates and brothers, for the coaches and this program

“I’m doing it for them and I feel like I can continue to do what I need to do and work every day, I will be successful.”

The 26-year-old former Appalachian State star underwent a grueling rehab process that many days stretched from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Yes, there was plenty of stretching and range of motion exercises and strength work and everything else that went into trying to build his shoulder back to withstanding the rigors of an NFL game.

“It’s a long progress and there’s so many little things that people would not get or understand with my injury, how my injury was,” Quick said. “I can’t explain it too much, but I can tell you it was a long process. I just knew it was going to be tough.

“Nothing in life is easy.”

As a result, Quick got a special feeling when he returned to the field Friday for the opening day of training camp.

“It’s like being a rookie all over again, you’re starting over,” Quick said. “Coming out here and being with the guys is completely different than doing anything by yourself. All the emotions that went through my head yesterday ... I was excited, not nervous, but I was just excited. The coaches could tell and I came out here and just calmed down a little bit.”

Quick said that noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews had a special term for him.

“He was like ‘I’m a miracle,’’’ Quick said, referring to his ability to come back from such a significant injury and surgical procedure. “I would really say I’m blessed to get the opportunity to be out here and I want to really thank him and the trainers and everybody. It’s a blessing to be out here and get an opportunity.”

Quick, a big target at 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds, could be a major piece to the Rams’ offense. His fast start last season came after two struggling seasons that saw him combine for 29 catches, 458 yards and four touchdowns while starting only six of 31 games.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Quick’s injury was more significant than many realized.

“It’s remarkable what he’s overcome,” Fisher said. “The damage that he sustained to his shoulder was significant and there was some talk early on that it might have been career-ending, that he may not be able to come back. He just kept fighting through each stage of the rehab one week after the next and he kept getting better.

“We sent him back down to see Dr. Andrews and he was amazed at his progress.”

Quick isn’t pleased about it, but the Rams are limiting his contact by making him wear a yellow cover over his helmet. It’s not quite like a red jersey for quarterbacks, but Quick does not like the extra attention.

“Oh man, the yellow hat,” he said. “They’re giving me (stuff) for it. Being out there going full speed, it’s kind of hard to kind of do things and people are like ‘oh, they can’t hit him.’ But they understand and I understand that I have to believe in the process, so I have to do what they tell me to do, wear the yellow hat and continue to work hard.”

What’s so bad about the extra precaution?

“It’s the color,” Quick joked. “It’s so bright, I need it darker. I told Coach I want a black one because nobody can see it. It just blends right in.”

Fisher is being protective of a player the Rams could lean on heavily if he returns to the form he flashed early last season.

“He’s not there yet,” Fisher said. “You can tell, we’re keeping him off the ground, but he’s running and he’s still little got a little bit of motion and flexibility to work on, some strength. But by all means we expect him to be back.

“It’s a pretty impressive offseason of rehab that he committed to and he got from our medical staff.”

Rams General Manager Les Snead has become an even bigger fan of Quick after witnessing his rehab process.

“If you were to talk to the trainers and the medical staff, and probably even Dr. Andrews, they love Brian Quick,” Snead said. “They said from where he was — which we see a lot of injuries in football and that was a tough one — they call them car-wreck injuries because it’s not your normal injury.

“There’s less case studies on how to get the guy from Point A to Point Z, but man, he was in here every day, a lot of days a week. If you go down there right now and ask the trainers about Brian Quick they’ll all go ‘All right, that’s a man.’ You pull for him because he’s come a long way.”

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29769691.html#storylink=cpy

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My man Quick.....Britt & Quick....maybe Stead...Maybe Tavon in the slot....I'd rather it be Cook....and they better watch out for that new #8....Passing game will be fine...as long as
G-Rob_Saff_Jones(?)_Brown_Havenstein stand Ram tough....

Big Willie

Starter
Got my fingers crossed for the kid. He seems like a good young man, hard worker who got away simply using his physical abilities until he got to the NFL. Once he learned how to take his game to the next level, he got a major injury. After a rigorous rehabilitation process, he has a second chance. Here's hoping luck is on his side.....for him...and the Rams.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Quick working his way back after injury
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_183cf803-6160-50de-83c3-6f272cbba613.html

Rams wide receiver Brian Quick was on his way to a breakout season in 2014 when he went down with a scary shoulder injury.

In the first half of a 34-7 road loss at Kansas City in late October, Quick was running a comeback route at the Rams’ 20 when he was aggressively taken to the ground by Chiefs corner Jamell Fleming after a 10-yard gain.

Quick landed on his left shoulder, attempting to brace the fall by landing on his elbow. The result: a dislocated left shoulder and torn rotator cuff.

After a long and sometimes trying rehab, Quick was ready for the start of training camp. He’s taking it slowly under the watchful eye of head athletic trainer Reggie Scott, but he’s back on the field.

“It’s remarkable what he’s overcome,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Saturday’s workout. “The damage he sustained to his shoulder was significant and there was some talk early on that it might’ve been career-threatening and that he might not be able to come back. He just kept fighting through each stage of the rehab, one week after the next and he kept getting better. We sent him back down to see Dr. James Andrews (who performed the surgery) and he was amazed at the progress. He’s not there yet ... we’re keeping him off the ground, but he’s running. He’s got a little bit of motion and flexibility to work on and some strength.

“But by all means, we expect him to be back.’’

Quick, 26, is thrilled to be back with his teammates and playing football again.

“It’s been a while,’’ he said after Friday’s opening workout. “It feels great to be out with the guys again. Reggie and coach, they’re monitoring me and we’ll see how it goes through the weeks of camp. But I feel good and my goal is to just focus on making steady progress every week. It’s been a long process and there’s still work to do. I have to be patient, just take it day by day and make sure that I’m doing everything right in terms of getting my body prepared to play again.

“But getting out here, running with the guys and playing fast, I’m feeling good about that.’’

The Rams selected Quick, a 6-foot-3, 218-pounder from Appalachian State, with the opening pick of the second round back in 2012. As a rookie, he played in 15 games and made one start, finishing with 11 catches for 156 yards and two touchdowns. In 2013, he played in all 16 games and made five starts, coming up with 302 yards on 18 catches with a pair of TDs.

But something appeared to click for the Columbia, S.C. native a year ago. In seven games, all starts, he had established career-bests in receptions (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (3) and was on pace to become the Rams’ first 1,000-yard receiver since Torry Holt in 2007.

Quick “was very productive,’’ Fisher said days after the injury last year. “He took advantage of all the opportunities and made tough plays.’’

Staying patient throughout the rehab process has been a challenge, Quick admits.

“It’s hard. It’s very hard, especially when you put in the work day in and day out,’’ he said. “You want to be out there with your teammates, you want to be contributing. But you also have to be smart. I’m working to be consistent and to make sure that I’m ready when they call on me.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• A crowd of 1,440 braved the heat at Rams Park for Saturday’s workout. Sunday’s practice, which is free and open to the public, will begin at 5:30 p.m.

• DE Chris Long (back) and CB Brandon McGee (foot) did not practice on Saturday as safety Mark Barron (knee) continued to get in some work on the side.

• At center, Barrett Jones worked with projected starters LT Greg Robinson, LG Rodger Saffold, RG Jamon Brown and RT Rob Havenstein. Tim Barnes, the Mizzou product, was with the top unit on Friday. Those two, along with second-year pro Demetrius Rhaney, rotated at the center spot throughout OTAs.

• The offense, which has featured a lot of quick passes and screens over the first two days, has looked sharp with Nick Foles getting a lot of reps. But the play of the day Saturday came from the defense. On a lofted pass intended for tight end Jared Cook, free safety Rodney McLeod came up with an athletic one-handed interception.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Brian Quick is a bitch...

to cover.
I would LOVE to see the Rams stay healthy.
This receiver group is underrated BQ KB SB JC TA from what I see TG is very good as well. Top 15 offense equals Playoffs.
GO RAMS!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Let's hope the kid recovers well and is ready for game 1.While I do believe in the next man up when there is a injury, Quick is about to take that next step.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it is because I am a graduate of ASU as well, but I am pulling for the guy. He was well on his way to having a good year before the injury. I'd like to see him be a Ram for some time to come.

RamBill

Legend
Brian Quick Predicts a Productive Season with Nick Foles at QB
Rams wide receiver Brian Quick says he’s wasting no time establishing a relationship with new quarterback Nick Foles.

Listen to Quick Talk Foles

RamWoodie

Legend
Make no bones about it...Quick can be BIG TIME! He has the heart and he was able to show it until he got injured.

This guy can throw a CB to the side like a rag doll with his strength, and still get down the field a make the catch.

He knows what he sees now as he didn't in his first two years.

It's there now...he simply needs to BRING IT!!!

Moostache

Rookie
The numbers I expect for Quick this year?

59 catches
1.098 yards
18.6 YPC
7 TDs

That would match Vincent Jackson's 4th year production, and prior to the injury last fall, Quick was looking to be on pace to get close to those numbers....