Brett Hundley Baffles Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find myself continuing to flip flop on Hundley. He's an extremely polarizing prospect. The tools are there physically and the natural passing ability is there. But what I find myself unable to decide on are his instincts and mental processing speed.

A couple days ago, I was talking to someone about who Hundley compares to and I, of course, mentioned Jason Campbell. Their prospect scouting reports are similar and Hundley suffers from many of the same issues that plagued Campbell. The other guy, though, said that he felt Hundley reminds him of Donovan McNabb coming out of Syracuse. I never evaluated McNabb so I wasn't sure. I went and looked up whatever I could dig up on McNabb coming out of Syracuse and it does seem that like Campbell, Hundley has a lot in common with McNabb too.

Recognizing that, it kind of made me rethink my strong stance against Hundley. So I went back and watched some more film to try and figure it out.

And what can I say...I'm baffled. I truly don't know on Hundley. Usually, I have a feeling one way or another about a prospect but Hundley is a guy that I can see having a Jason Campbell type career and I could see him having a Donovan McNabb type career. He's just a tough guy to evaluate.

I see some major flaws in his game but I also see a lot of things he does well. I think he's a guy that HAS TO sit and get developed. He's too much of a run first QB right now. And he struggles making timely decisions when blitzed. Whoever drafts him needs to develop his internal clock and his ability to recognize blitzes and find the match-up advantage.

His eye discipline can be problematic but I think that's mainly because his first instinct is to run when pressured. I do think you can work him out of that mindset. He's not like Blaine Gabbert where he panic.

I keep going back and forth on him. Not too long ago, I said I wouldn't draft him until the 3rd because I felt he was a Campbell type career backup/spot starter. But today after reviewing some more film, I think I'd take him in the 2nd IF I had a QB in front of him that would allow me time to develop him.

Hundley is a project...but there's a lot of tools there and he's a good thrower. Strong armed kid with great mobility that is a tad inconsistent with accuracy but can certainly make the wow throw. He's a competitor though and makes good decisions with his throws. The one big thing that I don't have a good feel for right now is his ability to anticipate WRs coming open. I know he can throw guys open but I don't about his ability to throw with anticipation.

I really hate his college offense, though. The number of screens and swing passes are truly frustrating.

If we do draft Hundley, though. I really hope it's not as a guy they want to start if Sam goes down. Because I do feel very strongly that he needs development time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If we do draft Hundley, though. I really hope it's not as a guy they want to start if Sam goes down. Because I do feel very strongly that he needs development time.

Hundley has mentioned many times the Quarterback he respected the most was Donovan McNabb was his favorite and he does remind of him in some ways. When McNabb had his valleys, he was not accurate would miss wide open receivers from time to time, but then would make big plays when the chips were down.

If the Rams draft Hundley I would have no issue, but I also concur with your assessment, it would benefit him to sit for awhile. Be nice if the Rams could get a few years of a healthy Bradford with Hundley waiting in the wings.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a first hand account of how NFL teams end up talking themselves into QBs when there are no other options.

Unfortunately this is what it will probably come down to. The Rams hooding the lesser of a few evils.

jjab360

Legend
I think you should go with your first instinct, jrry. I've tried to talk myself into Hundley many times but the tape is just not that impressive. It would be a mistake to take him before the 3rd imo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I know this has been said elsewhere too but sitting QBs has also fundamentally changed since the new QB. Practices are fewer, reps are reduced, time in the rooms grinding film (with coaches) is down. Some pundits say there's added pressure to play rookies or give them all the starter reps as soon as possible in training camp because there's simply not enough reps for them to improve anywhere else on the depth chart.

That being said, I really respected the Jags for trying to commit to sitting Bortles for a year. I think they screwed up when they started him halfway through.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I do respect his physical abilities but I don't think he is worth the risk. I see exactly where you are coming from though he could be Campbell or he could be McNabb. One thing is for sure there is no way he can play his rookie season and be successful. My hope for him and the rams (so they aren't tempted to take him) is that Philly drafts him at 20. That's his best chance to succeed, they have a simplified offense that prefers a mobile qb. I want no part in the rams drafting him because will be a bust for the rams you can book that. Ever time I watch him play im left so unimpressed, he is missing something and I don't think you can teach that.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So I'm not the only one who is confused.
I've watched him more than any other college qb this year. Every game i sat down wanting to be impressed. I always left disappointed and confused.
He may be better, than he was being used by Mora. Mora basically used Hundley the same way he used Vick in the ATL. He would give him 1 read than cut him loose.
I don't know if that was all on Mora or if it was on Hundley. All i know is i hated it.
I want to see what he can do as a pocket passer. You cant survive in the NFL with no pocket awareness.

Is he McNabb or is he Vick?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He' a viable option in a trade down scenario, or possibly if we sit pat in the 2nd. Rumors are staring to service from a couple sites, which I won't mention, that we are interested in him. This is a discussion that we've had many times. I've seen his every game, including his first snap as a freshman starting QB where he scored a long TD. I also said that he would rise through the process of the draft, he is just impressive, and driven.

I understand, and agree with a lot of what is said here, especially, he needs to learn a year. I disagree that he doesn't have pocket presence, but I've come to learn that means different things to different people. Won't argue the point. Did Mora hold him back, yes, the offense held him back, but college coaches don't work for the NFL, they are paid to win games. He used UCLA's strengths, which didn't include a decent OL, or high level receivers, the whole time that Hundley played. Hundley used his strengths, and he was smart enough to know that he could run for 1st downs, when the line broke down. He had to do that a lot. Their OL made our OL look like the Patriots. He never complained about them. His OL coach showed public disappointment in them, there are multiple articles about it, if you care to search. Brett's tough, smart, and he plays injured.

Unlike RG3, he can learn, he's willing and able to learn, he seeks guidance, to learn. He's a leader, his team loves him, his college loves him. His testing at the combine was very good, overall. He did everything. He did well in the interviews, I knew he would.

He's not McNabb, or Vick, or Campbell, he's Brett Fucking Hundley, and he'll rock your world, lol. I don't think we will be in a position to pick Hundley, because he's not a top 10 pick. I don't think the guys that are worried, have to worry. He'll go in the bottom part of the 1st.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
He's not McNabb, or Vick, or Campbell, he's Brett freaking Hundley, and he'll rock your world, lol. I don't think we will be in a position to pick Hundley, because he's not a top 10 pick. I don't think the guys that are worried, have to worry. He'll go in the bottom part of the 1st.

I agree. My belief is he is Chip Kelly's QB of choice.. I just do not see Kelly moving up to #s 2-4 to get MM. Cost too much Kelly needs the picks to draft his type of players). Plus, he will not get pass Chicago at #7 (after they cut JC).

He makes all the throws that Kelly likes plus he big and fast enough to press the edge unlike NF. I think he is gone no later than #20.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Jrry- I'm a UCLA fan but I'm 100% with you. It's really hard to gauge his ceiling. He has a ton of raw talent IMO but hard to say what he might develop into.
I would be happy if we got him in the draft to develop though.
The one thing he has going for him which is all the more important, especially in our division, is he can move the chains with his feet. When I watch video of him I see a lot of good things and the flaws can be improved with good coaching.
And like you said, I hated the offense they ran so hard to know how he would run a pro style offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's how I draft QB's...

If I'm drafting one; it's in the first round.

If I am unsure... Not 1st round worthy.... I'm not drafting one any earlier than the 4th.

I can get a starting player at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd without the gamble of a QB I am unsure about.

Hundley scares me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a first hand account of how NFL teams end up talking themselves into QBs when there are no other options.

Unfortunately this is what it will probably come down to. The Rams hooding the lesser of a few evils.

Disagree. There are always a few players each year that I just can't get a feel for. Last year, Kelvin Benjamin is a great example of one. I didn't know if he'd bust or a be a star. I saw some great things on film and some bad things. I was completely unsure of what he'd do. And ultimately, I felt he was a guy whose game would depend on the role he played in, the development he received, and the situation he ended up in. I still feel that way.

I think Hundley is the same way. You HAVE TO sit him for at least a year. Maybe two. He needs time to drop the bad habits and clean up his game. The only way to do that is with reps. You throw him into game action too soon and he'll revert back to bad habits. You have to break him of them.

Hundley's tools are definitely there. His throwing ability is there...although he could be more consistent with his accuracy. It's just tough to tell if the instincts, anticipation, and mental processing speed are there. I don't know.

But sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith on a player and trust your team's ability to develop a QB. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. With Hundley, it could truly go either way. It's why QBs are by far the toughest position to evaluate. Because it's so hard to gauge what they have in between the ears.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Disagree. There are always a few players each year that I just can't get a feel for. Last year, Kelvin Benjamin is a great example of one. I didn't know if he'd bust or a be a star. I saw some great things on film and some bad things. I was completely unsure of what he'd do. And ultimately, I felt he was a guy whose game would depend on the role he played in, the development he received, and the situation he ended up in. I still feel that way.

I think Hundley is the same way. You HAVE TO sit him for at least a year. Maybe two. He needs time to drop the bad habits and clean up his game. The only way to do that is with reps. You throw him into game action too soon and he'll revert back to bad habits. You have to break him of them.

Hundley's tools are definitely there. His throwing ability is there...although he could be more consistent with his accuracy. It's just tough to tell if the instincts, anticipation, and mental processing speed are there. I don't know.

But sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith on a player and trust your team's ability to develop a QB. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. With Hundley, it could truly go either way. It's why QBs are by far the toughest position to evaluate. Because it's so hard to gauge what they have in between the ears.
Good thing we hired a QB coach whose former job was to teach college QB's to be pros.

I can't agree more on this point. Let him learn some new muscle memory, let the coaching have a chance to take. What we could do though, and this applies to Mariota also, we could work some packages in for either one of them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like him jrry....I didn't like him too...All this season, I was against his whole game...but the way he talks, the reports about his work ethic, the UCLA offensive line struggles, that damn pistol offense, and his arm just convinced me that he'd be good for this team....Sometimes you have to take a leap...a leap of faith.....(y):cool:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@jrry32
I agree he does tuck and run waay to quickly, He has developed over his stay at UCLA though. He does not trust his coverage leading to the running to soon. When in the pocket he can be nervous which affects his accuracy and judgment. I too believe he has the tools and can be taught to stay in the pocket trust the protection and go through his progressions. When he decides to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions he can be accurate and decisive. There is a lot there, he is a raw prospect but could be very good in time. He is an instinctive runner that is harder to bring down than his size might indicate and he normally gains some positive yardage.
@LACHAMP46 I am with you and we saw a lot of him out here in LA as you know.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like him jrry....I didn't like him too...All this season, I was against his whole game...but the way he talks, the reports about his work ethic, the UCLA offensive line struggles, that damn pistol offense, and his arm just convinced me that he'd be good for this team....Sometimes you have to take a leap...a leap of faith.....(y):cool:
I posted a while back that I wasn't that impressed with his game, but I believe hell be in Horns next year.
I still feel like Hundley is someone Fisher would like to have. Big strong QB with wheels. McNair?
I also believe the reports that came out last year that they were looking hard at JF. Thankfully that didn't happen.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been thinking he is the right guy to sit and learn behind Sam. I have no idea what is going on with Sam's contract but a rebuilt contract that extends 2 or 3 years wold be the perfect opportunity for developing which ever QB they pick. There aren't many that should even be in consideration but Hundley in the second round is one I could live with.

He's played with what he was given and come out as the school's leading passer. He has been saying all the right stuff, seems to have a chip on his shoulder, has some room to grow and get a little stronger, has some natural ability. The perfect guy not to start a QB controversy and develop for the long term solution.

I was worried that the Rams did not have a coach would could develop a QB, I'm still not sure about it but they made a move to get there and I have to trust that they got a guy who can get it done.

fearsomefour

Legend
I lot of that video is a guy not taking snaps under center, and a guy running. Hardly exciting. His eyes come down when there is any hint of a rush and he stares down his receivers. To me he is only viable if he sits for two full years at a minimum.
Not a Hundley guy. When I see him run the pistol I see a less physically gifted Kap.