Breaking news in Pats investigation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a lot easier to get a writer a copy editor than to find a Sports Editor with the integrity to not acquiesce to the nonsensical "reality" that is "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

That is not the mantra of most fans and it is not the modus operandi of most teams.

For him to assert such borders on libel. Not that he's making such distinctions... plenty of outlets have had varying degrees of fun with the "deflated balls" language issue while also seriously addressing the issue of cheating. I guess a writer can't talk about two things in the same article?

I agree that the personal stuff... metrosexual and all that wasn't necessary and detracted from the piece, but seriously...

This bit of false equivocation is FAR worse than anything the writer did.

Everyone does it, huh? Everyone stretches the rules, huh?

Okay... other than former Belicheck coaches, which teams? C'mon Sports Editor...which teams... I mean surely, in the very same rant filled piece about inaccurate reporting, you're not going to make serious and unsubstantiated allegations about 31 other teams in the league.

Maybe Chuck Pollock should stop writing about sports. Either that or prepare a rather lengthy retraction...

FRO

Legend
Anybody really surprised? We all knew some low level guy was going to take the fall. I'm sure he acted alone too. Nothing will happen to the patriots. They are the NFL's golden franchise. Craft has Goodell in his front pocket.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...ick-and-brady-did-not-cheat/?partner=yahootix

Mike Ozanian
Forbes Staff

SPORTSMONEY 1/25/2015
The NFL Will Conclude Belichick And Brady Did Not Cheat

I believe that the NFL will conclude its investigationinto the deflated footballs used by the New England Patriots during their AFC Championship game against the Indianapolis Colts that neither head coach Bill Belichick nor quarterback Tom Brady deliberately did anything to deflate the footballs below the league limit of 12.5 pounds per square inch.

In other words, that when it comes to cheating, whatBelichick and Brady have said during their press conferences is the truth.

It is not unusual for quarterbacks to have footballs worked over before games to get them they way they like. In an interview with the Tampa Bay Times in 2012, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brad Johnson said that before Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003, he paid some unidentified people $7,500 to doctor the 100 footballs allocated for use in that game. Johnson didn’t say that he had the air pressure altered; he said that he had the balls scuffed, which wasn’t legal at the time but is now. And during aCBS CBS +1.95% broadcast of this season’s matchup between the Green Bay Packers and New England on Nov. 30, announcer Phil Simms said Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers preferred footballs that were inflated slightly beyond the specified limit. “Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

What I think happened is the Patriots equipment manager, or whomever deals with getting the footballs the way Brady prefers them, deflated the balls below the 12.5 pounds per square inch, or, had the footballs right at the legal minimum and the weather caused the weight of the footballs to fall below the minimum PPSI.

The media has been quick to jump on Spygate–when the Patriots videotaped the defensive signals of the New York Jets during a game–as evidence that Belichick is a serial cheater. But the media seems to have forgotten that, Jack Del Rio, then the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, said at the time it was commonplace to study actions on the opposing sideline. ”I think all teams do that,” he said. That’s been going on forever.” And former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson said at the time: This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn’t think it helped us. Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don’t know what their coaches are doing, and some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That’s why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn’t make Belichick right, but a lot of teams are doing this.”

This doesn’t make Belichick innocent in 2007, but it doesn’t exactly make him some sort of serial cheater, either. I suspect the NFL will fine the Patriots (think something along the lines of the Pac-12 fining USC for using deflated footballs against Oregon in 2012) after the Super Bowl for the deflated footballs, and put in place some sort of rule changes to ensure footballs that are used during games to meet the league requirements. But I doubt the NFL will find any evidence Brady or Belichick knowingly had the footballs deflated.

This guy must be a Patriots fan to be shoveling this bullshit.

Of course the Patriots have a fall guy. This is no shocker.

But the fact that this "genius" actually believes a staff member took it on their own accord to alter the footballs is laughable. That's an automatic firing. You don't mess with Tom Brady's footballs unless you've been told to. It would be like a Scout calling from the Team Headquarters and trying to put in a draft pick on draft day without the General Manager's permission.

A staff member is not going to touch a game ball unless he has the green light to.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Clearly he did this on his own, I mean the best way to keep your job for Bellicheat is to take initiative and do with without any consultation from coach or quarterback. He just took the balls, let some air out for shits and giggles.
No doubt. And I'm sure bellifat is appalled while at the same time impressed with the initiative taken by this soon to be unemployed individual with a very good severance package.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They'll make him the fall guy, and in the end, it will just make the scandal look even worse.

Very much looking forward to not watching the Super Bowl this Sunday. FU Goodell, FU Kraft, FU NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Locker room Attendant: Mint, Comb, Cologne Mr. Brady?
Tom Brady: (dries hands, drops a dollar in the dish) Nah, Eddie. Thanks.
Locker room Attendant: Say, Mr. Brady...
Tom Brady: Hey! What did I say about looking me in the eye?
Locker room Attendant: Sorry, Mr. Brady. Anyway. You wanted me to get back to you about that...thing.
Tom Brady: (grabs Attendant's arm and moves him out of earshot of other players) Yeah. So?
Locker room Attendant: (face brightens) I got it all worked out, Mr. Brady. After they measure, they give me back the balls to take to secure. I'm alone with them balls. I can put 'em to whatever pressure you want, just like always.
Tom Brady: Great Eddie. But be careful. Sloppy will get you caught.
Locker room Attendant: No worries, Mr. Brady. Sloppy ain't the Patriot way!
Tom Brady: (Gives him a big smile and turns. His smile immediately fades, he rolls his eyes and he wishes he hadn't left that dollar)

Locker room Attendant: Say, fancy seeing you here Coach Belicheck! Mint, Comb, Cologne?...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
As expected.
The league clearly believes all fans are complete idiots.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm a hoper and a wisher. If a lockerroom attendant is to go down hopefully he takes Brady and Belichick with him.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Locker room Attendant: Mint, Comb, Cologne Mr. Brady?
Tom Brady: (dries hands, drops a dollar in the dish) Nah, Eddie. Thanks.
Locker room Attendant: Say, Mr. Brady...
Tom Brady: Hey! What did I say about looking me in the eye?
Locker room Attendant: Sorry, Mr. Brady. Anyway. You wanted me to get back to you about that...thing.
Tom Brady: (grabs Attendant's arm and moves him out of earshot of other players) Yeah. So?
Locker room Attendant: (face brightens) I got it all worked out, Mr. Brady. After they measure, they give me back the balls to take to secure. I'm alone with them balls. I can put 'em to whatever pressure you want, just like always.
Tom Brady: Great Eddie. But be careful. Sloppy will get you caught.
Locker room Attendant: No worries, Mr. Brady. Sloppy ain't the Patriot way!
Tom Brady: (Gives him a big smile and turns. His smile immediately fades, he rolls his eyes and he wishes he hadn't left that dollar)

Locker room Attendant: Say, fancy seeing you here Coach Belicheck! Mint, Comb, Cologne?...

The best part... "Hey! What did I say about looking me in the eye?" !!!!

That's gold, Jerry... GOLD!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Seems odd that a locker room attendant would do anything to the balls without instruction from the QB or HC. Thats a sure way to lose your job, I would think that if he has been in charge of the balls all season long that he knows exactly how Brady wants them and would make sure they are as Brady orders them to be.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
And I'm sure he acted on is own accord, with no input from brady or bellycheat.

The funny part of all this, is the stupor bowl will probably get more viewers than ever, just rooting against the bad guy, or the heel as they call them in wrestling.