Brandon Scherff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just noticed multiple Mock Drafts have us taking Brandon Scherff 10th overall. After a little digging, I have to say i'd be thrilled with this pick. We already have a dominant D line, now lets build a Dominant O line and let everything else fall where it may...What say you?

ramsb_logo.gif
St. Louis Rams: Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
Iowa_logo.gif

The Rams have devoted a lot of picks to their defensive line and now can do it on the other side of the ball. Since there isn't a quarterback worth taking, it makes sense for St. Louis to improve its blocking. Scherff could at least replace Davin Joseph and maybe push Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

Scherff was one of the top tackles in the Big Ten in 2013 and is a road-grading run-blocker. Iowa has produced a lot of good NFL prospects on the offensive line, and Scherff is the latest Hawkeye to be an early-round prospect.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pounder could fit as a power-man or zone blocker. Scherff has been a reliable pass-protector for Iowa, but handling speed rushers could be an issue as evidenced by the Maryland game. He has to get better at preventing speed rushers coming around the corner. His biggest asset comes in the ground game. Scherff has tremendous power with the ability to drive block defenders off the ball and open up big running lanes.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just noticed multiple Mock Drafts have us taking Brandon Scherff 10th overall. After a little digging, I have to say i'd be thrilled with this pick. We already have a dominant D line, now lets build a Dominant O line and let everything else fall where it may...What say you?

ramsb_logo.gif
St. Louis Rams: Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
Iowa_logo.gif

The Rams have devoted a lot of picks to their defensive line and now can do it on the other side of the ball. Since there isn't a quarterback worth taking, it makes sense for St. Louis to improve its blocking. Scherff could at least replace Davin Joseph and maybe push Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

Scherff was one of the top tackles in the Big Ten in 2013 and is a road-grading run-blocker. Iowa has produced a lot of good NFL prospects on the offensive line, and Scherff is the latest Hawkeye to be an early-round prospect.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pounder could fit as a power-man or zone blocker. Scherff has been a reliable pass-protector for Iowa, but handling speed rushers could be an issue as evidenced by the Maryland game. He has to get better at preventing speed rushers coming around the corner. His biggest asset comes in the ground game. Scherff has tremendous power with the ability to drive block defenders off the ball and open up big running lanes.

Scherff looks like he would be a great pick for the Rams if he is still available when they pick! Love his aggressiveness!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams are in serious need for a new Rodger Saffold clone! He must also be a "day one starter" like Robinson was. If Scherff can be Mr. Versatile for this Ram OL then he would be a great selection.

The big question with him currently, that has been discussed around here on the edges is the ability to pass protect from standard NFL speed edge rushers coming from either side:confused:. From what is known Scherff has the look to be a early insertion @ OLG or ORG but highly questionable if he can be a swing OT & a complete ORT.

I was thinking Scherff could be a very good instant insertion @ OLG next to Robinson but it leaves the ORT & swing OT cloudy positions vacant. If you draft him & he is unable to play OT then you may have cause & effect when Saffold is forced from his better playing OG positions to play ORT & swing OT again. This is not a good thing.

Finding ORT's or swing OT's has not been a Snead/Fisher/Boudreau strong point.

I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to the pick... but we're supposed to have this great OL coach. A first round OL pick here would give the line 2 1st round picks and one very nearly one (Saffold was #33 overall in 2010).

A great OL coach shouldn't need that level of investment to create a great OL. So while I agree guard and center need attention, that shouldn't be necessarily 1st round attention.

But if he is BPA, go for it.

Rams OL currently is just about as far as you can go from being a "GREAT" NFL OL.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
More of a Guard than tackle so if the plan is to play him at LG and resign Barksdale than fine, but I would not trust him at Tackle. He's better inside than outside IMO.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to the pick... but we're supposed to have this great OL coach. A first round OL pick here would give the line 2 1st round picks and one very nearly one (Saffold was #33 overall in 2010).

A great OL coach shouldn't need that level of investment to create a great OL. So while I agree guard and center need attention, that shouldn't be necessarily 1st round attention.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
More of a Guard than tackle so if the plan is to play him at LG and resign Barksdale than fine, but I would not trust him at Tackle. He's better inside than outside IMO.

By March draft time if UFA Barksdale is signed a high priced contract by another team & the Rams have not signed a capable starting OT like the Titans Micheal Roos then Snead is going into the draft behind the 8 ball. Snead must come out of this draft with an instant starting ORT who can play swing OT. At this point in time I do not think Scherff is that player.

paceram

Pro Bowler
By March draft time if UFA Barksdale is signed a high priced contract by another team & the Rams have not signed a capable starting OT like the Titans Micheal Roos then Snead is going into the draft behind the 8 ball. Snead must come out of this draft with an instant starting ORT who can play swing OT. At this point in time I do not think Scherff is that player.

If you don't think Scherff is that player who (Andrus Peat, Ronnie Stanley, Cedric Ogbuehi, etc) do you think would be worth that #10 (Assuming there is no trade down at this point) pick? I am by NO means an expert but if I had to pick an OL with that #10 pick I do think it would be either Scherff or Peat.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you don't think Scherff is that player who (Andrus Peat, Ronnie Stanley, Cedric Ogbuehi, etc) do you think would be worth that #10 (Assuming there is no trade down at this point) pick? I am by NO means an expert but if I had to pick an OL with that #10 pick I do think it would be either Scherff or Peat.

I will try to answer your question posed to me. You know paceram I just really do not know right now. I seem to have a much better ideal who isn't sorry Which OL is worth being a #10 right now ?? Truth there may not be one. Guess I get more into the weeds than most do here. That's why its so much easier to just say BPA.o_O

I see just as much issues @ ORT/Swing OT as I see @ OG. If your desire is to have Saffold as your starting ORG then you better find yourself a very good swing OT somewhere. If not, then you will need Saffold remaining on that left OG spot so he can be ready for an easy comfortable two feet slide to his left @ OLT if the need to arrives. I think Scherff will drop down to 15 to 20 first round rated position from where he is rated now in the top 10.

I has posted (a little over a week ago) that I am not real fond of trading down but for me this may be as good of an year for it than any yet. Rams enter the 2014 draft with 12 selections this yr Snead only has five.

Guess I really want a fully healthy Rodger Saffold clone & hope this clone is a bit more OT than OG as Saffold is. Who best fits that description is yet to be known. Peat is pure OT & a swing OT candidate to boot so he does fit some of what I think the Rams need but he is no OG! & he is not a top #10 pick IMO.

There are many elements here. If this top 10 pick OL can not be the Rams 2015 starter @ ORT or @ starter either OG post then I will go trade down & pick up an 2nd day selection & then take the best BPA OL with that top #1 pick where ever that pick end up.

WestCoastRam

Legend
1) I'll take a dominant guard over a good or very good player at position on the online aside from LT. So I'm not worried if he ends up playing guard or tackle. Having a pocket the QB can climb is huge (and a big thing for a rookie if we get a rookie QB). Plus we'll have a guy to push the pile in the middle.

2) With the Juniors coming out, I bet Scherff gets pushed down the board. I see a lot of oline talent available in the teens of this draft and I think there's a good opportunity for the Rams to trade back and get him or another talent. I'd really like to at least get back the 4th we traded for Barron.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams are in serious need for a new Rodger Saffold clone! He must also be a "day one starter" like Robinson was. If Scherff can be Mr. Versatile for this Ram OL then he would be a great selection.

The big question with him currently, that has been discussed around here on the edges is the ability to pass protect from standard NFL speed edge rushers coming from either side:confused:. From what is known Scherff has the look to be a early insertion @ OLG or ORG but highly questionable if he can be a swing OT & a complete ORT.

I was thinking Scherff could be a very good instant insertion @ OLG next to Robinson but it leaves the ORT & swing OT cloudy positions vacant. If you draft him & he is unable to play OT then you may have cause & effect when Saffold is forced from his better playing OG positions to play ORT & swing OT again. This is not a good thing.

Finding ORT's or swing OT's has not been a Snead/Fisher/Boudreau strong point.

Rams OL currently is just about as far as you can go from being a "GREAT" NFL OL.
I think you nailed this. Good job.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I tried watching some of the bowl game yesterday and really could not tell how good Scheerff might be. He has the body but not sure about the feet. The only play I remember is seeing him get beat to the inside to give up a big hit on the QB.

Knowing that ONCE AGAIN the biggest priority in the off season is to establish a dominant line to protect Bradford we have to get these picks right. Without know what will happen in FA it is difficult to guess.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I tried watching some of the bowl game yesterday and really could not tell how good Scheerff might be. He has the body but not sure about the feet. The only play I remember is seeing him get beat to the inside to give up a big hit on the QB.

Knowing that ONCE AGAIN the biggest priority in the off season is to establish a dominant line to protect Bradford we have to get these picks right. Without know what will happen in FA it is difficult to guess.
I don't think he'd be my pick, and I'd be shocked if he's the top OT taken. Shocked.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Scherff is the pick, it should not be at #10. Trade down. The guy is not a NFL LT. He's an OG. And he can be a damn good one. But IN THIS DRAFT CLASS, there will be better options available at #10.

Scherff is the type of player you draft between #15 and #25.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing I want to see with this OL is an end to the shuffling. Get a FA interior lineman, and re-sign Barks. Then go ahead and draft a true OG and maybe even a center some point midway through the draft since they can be had well into mid rounds with good value.

IMO all that shuffling is not a good thing. And next year it should be minimized now that we're not counting on Jake Long at LT. Load enough talent into this group to end that stuff so these guys can gel into a powerful unit early in the season and the offense can ride them into the playoffs.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If Scherff is the pick, it should not be at #10. Trade down. The guy is not a NFL LT. He's an OG. And he can be a damn good one. But IN THIS DRAFT CLASS, there will be better options available at #10.

Scherff is the type of player you draft between #15 and #25.

Agree on these points but do believe he can be a pretty good RT also.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Clemmings

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent

Are you friggin high? There's no coach that can poop a turd in a tortilla, add cheese and salsa and make a burrito. Despite the efforts it's still a piece of crap. Wells and Daven can play the same position, at the same time, and still give up a TFL.