Bradford "wont take" paycut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you considered the fact that: 1) Rams have cap space to keep him at current contract which allows them to 2) Hold him till the start of the season and then cut him when all teams have been through training camp. 3) The Rams will sign a QB (probably Hill) in FA and will prob draft a QB in the draft (who will admittedly suck).

I think you overstate that they have "all the leverage." They have a little more leverage than the Rams and that leverage shrinks the longer the league year grows.
Right.
the Rams can build their squad, go over the cap and continue to negotiate with Bradford. At Final cuts where they need to get under the cap, it would be last chance time.
And not for nothing, it would be in the Rams best interest to see if Sam can even make it thru pre-season before signing him to an extension

V3

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one that doesn't care about contract extensions and cuts?

Like, he could get traded or sign a 10 year, $150 mil deal tomorrow and it wouldn't change my mind about anything. It's out of my control whether I like it or not. It's not gonna affect me or my fandom in any way.

Getting worked up over something that's gonna happen is pointless. Especially when we don't know what is actually happening.
The only reason I pay attention to it is because it affects what the Rams can do in relation to the cap. Having a player take a huge portion of your cap space affects who the Rams can target in FA and this team needs some major help on the O-line and they aren't going to be able to fix the line with the draft alone.

Other than that, no, I don't really care about it too much. Maybe if there's a good player that gets cut from another team due to money but that's about it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That depends on personal preference. If you find this stuff interesting then yes it affects you. If you could care less and pay no attention to free agency or the draft because you don't care who is on the team, then no. My Dad likes football a lot and he never pays any mind to any offseason stuff. But he likes to watch certain teams each year. A lot of fans are like that. My wife is like that. I happen to find the inner workings of being a GM a very interesting topic and also a dream job.

That's not what I'm saying. I follow the NFL offseason. I just don't stress about it. They sign a guy I wanted them to but didn't. Big whoop. They drafted another player instead of "my guy", meh. Can't control it from my end, especially contracts where we don't know the exact of those inner workings.

The only reason I pay attention to it is because it affects what the Rams can do in relation to the cap. Having a player take a huge portion of your cap space affects who the Rams can target in FA and this team needs some major help on the O-line and they aren't going to be able to fix the line with the draft alone.

Other than that, no, I don't really care about it too much. Maybe if there's a good player that gets cut from another team due to money but that's about it.

When has cap ever effected FA?

They signed guys to pretty large contracts during Jeff Fisher's time here: Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells, J0-Lonn Dunbar, William Hayes, Jake Long, Jared Cook, etc. Not to mention filler FAs like Chris Williams, Barry Richardson, etc.

Plus they resigned Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, Robert Quinn.

Whether or not these guys haven't or will pan out is another story, strictly from a contract and cap perspective, I fail to see why anyone would worry about contracts from behind a keyboard.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's not what I'm saying. I follow the NFL offseason. I just don't stress about it. They sign a guy I wanted them to but didn't. Big whoop. They drafted another player instead of "my guy", meh. Can't control it from my end, especially contracts where we don't know the exact of those inner workings.

When has cap ever effected FA?

They signed guys to pretty large contracts during Jeff Fisher's time here: Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells, J0-Lonn Dunbar, William Hayes, Jake Long, Jared Cook, etc. Not to mention filler FAs like Chris Williams, Barry Richardson, etc.

Plus they resigned Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, Robert Quinn.

Whether or not these guys haven't or will pan out is another story, strictly from a contract and cap perspective, I fail to see why anyone would worry about contracts from behind a keyboard.
It's not so much that I worry about the contracts as it is just keeping track of how much room we have left to make moves. If we didn't have the room, we couldn't get one of the top OC's in FA. I'd honestly like to get a top OC and OG in FA but I don't know if we'll have enough cap room to do that. That's all I use it for; just to gauge what moves can realistically be made.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If you really want me to, I can dig up my post history to show you what I said. I said right after the Joyner pick that I didn't like it. X asked me for alternatives and I listed Garappolo, Matthews, and Brooks as possible alternatives I would have been happy with. Considering I said in another thread(I believe it was the thread debating whether we should think about Bridgewater) that I thought Bradford was injury prone, I probably would have leaned towards Garappolo.

So no, there is no revisionist history there. And it kinda drives me crazy whenever someone calls it "20/20 hindsight" or the like. It's not 20/20 hindsight when you said it BEFORE the event. And it's not like anyone's been proven wrong or right in this instance. Garappolo still hasn't played much. I still wish we had him over Joyner, though.
I meant the FO went full Zygment not you. If that's how you took it.

It was a mistake to not take a QB there or even trade back up.
I think I said that after the Joyner pick in the chat room and in a few threads. Nothing wrong with Joyner, he's a nice player. But.

As painful as the Bradford situation is now to some fans, it may get worse next year. It's kinda easy to flowchart the results of all this drama.
And even if the 2nd ACL never happened and he had played a a near top ten level last and next season the debate would be if he's worth it.

Bradford full healthy very good season: Resign or try too for even more $$$$$$$
Bradford hurt again: See ya, go test the market and get back to the Rams for vet min.

Either way the Rams have failed to have a ready to step in replacement.

Irish

Starter

I think I said that after the Joyner pick in the chat room and in a few threads. Nothing wrong with Joyner, he's a nice player. But.

As painful as the Bradford situation is now to some fans, it may get worse next year. It's kinda easy to flowchart the results of all this drama.
And even if the 2nd ACL never happened and he had played a a near top ten level last and next season the debate would be if he's worth it.

Bradford hurt again: See ya, go test the market and get back to the Rams for vet min.

Exactly. This was the conversation that team should have had this time last year. The Rams are paying the very literal price for it now.

ram007

Starter

That is my only beef with this current Rams Brass. They failed at it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Exactly. This was the conversation that team should have had this time last year. The Rams are paying the very literal price for it now.
I'm not a hindsight kinda guy. A team makes it choice and moves on.
And I know they had lots of needs. But a near starter caliber backup QB is essential to a team on the cusp of playoff success.

If Bradford stays on the field and absolutely lights it up this season and the fans think he's holding the team hostage this year. Just wait till next off season lol.

ram007

Starter
And I know they had lots of needs. But a near starter caliber backup QB is essential to a team on the cusp of playoff success.

If Bradford stays on the field and absolutely lights it up this season and the fans think he's holding the team hostage this year. Just wait till next off season lol.

+1

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wish we could get 2 first round picks for Bradford. I think Bradford at best gets a late 3rd rounder. He is not worth to any teams other than Rams.

Bradford wouldn't net a thing form another team. Why would he? This notion that he could go somewhere and play lights out and resurrect his career is a fairy tale. He's average when healthy, which means he's average half the time and that's that.

Who is going to give up a 3rd to get a huge risk with a 13 mil cap hit for one year?

Nobody makes that deal. Nobody.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bradford wouldn't net a thing form another team. Why would he? This notion that he could go somewhere and play lights out and resurrect his career is a fairy tale. He's average when healthy, which means he's average half the time and that's that.

Who is going to give up a 3rd to get a huge risk with a 13 mil cap hit for one year?

Nobody makes that deal. Nobody.

The Browns might actually give up a second. They have nothing at quarterback. Like Hoyer is going to re-sign with them after the way they treated him.

And I'd rather have the mutant three-headed newborn lovechild of Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis as my quarterback than Johnny Manziel.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I've had enough of Scherff to last me a lifetime. If anyone, let's talk Britt. Please.
Which is the same way I feel about this Bradford nonsense which is the media's way of getting everyone lathered up when it is pretty clear to me that they know nothing about the Rams so this is lazy journalism.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Which is the same way I feel about this Bradford nonsense which is the media's way of getting everyone lathered up when it is pretty clear to me that they know nothing about the Rams so this is lazy journalism.

Fair enough. More than fair enough.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I disagree yamadudester. That would only apply if you had a starter that can't stay on the field and most of the playoff type teams don't have that problem. In fact if your staerter missed 2-3 games you're likely not in the mix after the regular season ends anyway.