Bradford Still My QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramatik

Starter
Maybe not here but there are some serious weirdos on other boards who have a hard-on for the guy. Not gonna name names, wouldn't want to give them the attention they crave. Or how about this fella?

http://tyrannyoftradition.com/2014/05/07/danzig-to-sue-everyone-on-earth/
Oh yeah they exist. They've proven itany times. But I will refrain from using that term in here. I hope that Davis becomes the next Warner or that Bradford becomes the next Manning, but yeah, like the guy said above, starting all over with another fricking draft choice would stink.

AZRamsFan93

Great post, I really hope the limitation I put on his arm strength blows up. There are several attributes he has on Sam. I think he has the ability to be excellent against blitzes if he continues in this positive trend. He just has to make them pay, I have a lot of confidence in him. But as a pure pocket passer, Sam would carve up anybody. BUT, Sam was bad about locking onto targets. Davis doesn't lock on to anybody a vast majority of the time. Very, very, impressive in that regard.
I think the days of a pure pocket passer - without the talent and quick release of a Peyton, Brady or Marino - in the NFL are over, at least for now. The speed and strength of the pass rushers means that no offensive line will be able to provide a pristine pocket on a regular basis for a pocket passer to be successful. Mobility and pocket presence - the ability to extend plays and still make big plays downfield - will be the premium skill set required. I see that in Davis. I never saw it in Sam.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'll be bitterly disappointed if the rams moved on from Sam. Bring him back and let him compete for the job. If he gets hurt Davis should be a hardened vet by the end of this season and ready to take over.

Not sure what the downside is to that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the days of a pure pocket passer - without the talent and quick release of a Peyton, Brady or Marino - in the NFL are over, at least for now. The speed and strength of the pass rushers means that no offensive line will be able to provide a pristine pocket on a regular basis for a pocket passer to be successful. Mobility and pocket presence - the ability to extend plays and still make big plays downfield - will be the premium skill set required. I see that in Davis. I never saw it in Sam.
Disagree.
If anything I think the pocket passer will have more value with the rules that favor a passing game.
Not always but a lot of times guy that are deemed runners are doing so to cover other weaknesses. A pocket passer is always going to have a more consistant ability to make big plays b

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'll be bitterly disappointed if the rams moved on from Sam. Bring him back and let him compete for the job. If he gets hurt Davis should be a hardened vet by the end of this season and ready to take over.

I know 16 million downsides LOL.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If Davis continues to play as well as he has...and even if he levels out, for the rest of the year, someone will pay him starter money and he will wisely take it. He has shown that he can play QB1 in this league, and unless he falls on his face like Kirk MFing Cousins, he will be a starter for someone. People have every right to question his upside and future as he is only 5 games in as a starter. However, IF he continues to play well, I do not see him back here as Bradfords backup. Season is still young fellas, we may very well not have our QB of the future on the roster as of today.

jjab360

Legend
If Davis continues to play as well as he has...and even if he levels out, for the rest of the year, someone will pay him starter money and he will wisely take it. He has shown that he can play QB1 in this league, and unless he falls on his face like Kirk MFing Cousins, he will be a starter for someone. People have every right to question his upside and future as he is only 5 games in as a starter. However, IF he continues to play well, I do not see him back here as Bradfords backup. Season is still young fellas, we may very well not have our QB of the future on the roster as of today.
Well, Davis is a RFA after this year so doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Ramatik

Starter
You know, I wonder about this arm strength issue. Is it just a matter of working out? Is he not committed to the job or has he maxxed out his arm? Can he just lift some weights to fix that? I do like his touch, but some of those balls seem to take an awful long time to get there.

AZRamsFan93

The downside would be $16.5M - $13M of which we could spend on other talent to help the team.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Davis is a RFA after this year so doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Restricted, yes, but if some team throws a high $ offer at him, we will have a serious decision to make. Kinda my point.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
The only way Bradford comes back is if Davis completely falls apart in the next 10 games. If you bring them both back, you're just creating a QB controversy for yourself.

If Davis plays well for the rest of the year, I think they bring in another backup (either a mid round draft pick, or a vet), but hand Davis the starting role. But if he stinks it up over the next 10 weeks, they'll pick between him and Bradford to be the backup behind a high draft pick. Given the contract scenarios, I would guess they'd favor Davis unless he's really really bad.

This is all kind of a bummer for me because I really liked Bradford (I have an autographed helmet and jersey of his).

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
ugh, I still don't get the arm strength argument. you don't need to throw bullets at WRs that are 5-10 yds away (see Bradford and the drop percentage..and no I am not trashing Bradford). AD puts plenty of zip on the ball when he has to from what I have seen. It is called touch and timing. His completion percentage should speak volumes to that....

AZRamsFan93

Disagree.
If anything I think the pocket passer will have more value with the rules that favor a passing game.
Not always but a lot of times guy that are deemed runners are doing so to cover other weaknesses. A pocket passer is always going to have a more consistant ability to make big plays b
We will have to agree to disagree. You will notice that I did not say "running QB" I said mobile QB with pocket presence. Big Ben, Romo, Rodgers are all examples of mobile QBs that make plays downfield by extending plays while under pressure.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see the Rams letting Sam go. And, I see no reason they can't keep both.

Sam has more raw talent if he can get healthy, it might not be by the beginning of next year. AD could be the starter coming out of preseason giving Sam plenty of time to be fully healthy before getting a chance to compete for the starting job.

Money just isn't in the realm of my attention whatever they decide it isn't my money and I have nothing to say about it. A restructured contract sure why not.

I like Davis ok but I don't think he is taking a team to the superbowl but apparently Farve thinks pretty highly of him for whatever that is worth.

We could do a lot worse than having Bradford and Davis

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Restricted, yes, but if some team throws a high $ offer at him, we will have a serious decision to make. Kinda my point.
We'll tender him at $ 2.75 million and if someone goes over that we get their first round draft choice ,which likely would be an early one considering it's a team needing a qb

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
The day the Rams have to play against Bradford is going to suck.
I admit, I HATE the thought of Bradford going to anyone else because I think he still has a lot of good football left in him. Another part of me thinks that maybe it would be best for both parties if he moved on. Sam was unfortunate enough to be drafted by a dumpster fire of an organization and for many fans he represents a futile and hopeless era in Rams football. I wonder if Sam would welcome a trade at this point. I wouldn't blame him if he did. I am prepared to get behind Davis and see where he can take us. I really like his demeanor from what I have seen. It takes a certain, special type of person to be a successful QB in the NFL. I think he may have those qualities. Time will tell.