Bradford Nearly Quit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ltrautman

MIZ
Mike Sielski, Inquirer Columnist
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015, 1:08 AM

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ford_out_of_quitting.html#ViGZMkfhdjs5pudJ.99

Josh Heupel had watched the surreal scene on TV last August - the quarterback he'd helped coach to a Heisman Trophy hopping on his right leg, leaving his left leg to dangle in the air at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland.

Sam Bradford had locked his left knee as Browns defensive end Armonty Bryant hit him in the pocket during a preseason game, and if Heupel couldn't see the terror on Bradford's face in that moment, he could hear the resignation in his voice when he called Bradford a few days later.

The kid had torn his left ACL for the second time in nine months. The kid was thinking about quitting football. The kid needed to remember who he was.

So Heupel, who had been Bradford's quarterback coach at Oklahoma, delivered a pep talk that made this wild Eagles offseason possible. As Bradford had confessed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in December, that second ACL tear had done more than wipe out his fifth season with the Rams. After winning the Heisman in 2008, after the Rams had selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft, Bradford had begun doubting his future in the NFL.

"I didn't want to come back," he'd told the Post-Dispatch, and the reason that he didn't follow through on his thoughts about retiring, that he was still available for the Eagles to acquire in that blockbuster trade for Nick Foles, was that Heupel persuaded him to stick it out.

"It was one of those moments where, after all the time and energy and passion that he poured into rehabilitating himself in the first injury, you feel like you're snakebitten," Heupel said in a phone interview. "You don't know when, if, or how your body is going to respond and what your next opportunity is. You're really just in a lot of limbo. Sometimes, I think, just having a voice from an outside perspective is something that can be valuable."

Heupel is now the offensive coordinator at Utah State, and he took a break from a Saturday morning film-study session to make it clear he understood the panic that's sure to set in around here with Bradford's admission.

It's risky enough that Chip Kelly would bet on Bradford and his injury history: a right shoulder that required surgery while he was at Oklahoma, that tear-prone ligament in his left knee. But unless all those conspiracy theories about Bradford's being a commodity in a Marcus Mariota trade are true, Kelly has found a franchise quarterback who less than a year ago contemplated walking away from football.

Bradford's crisis of confidence will be nothing but fodder for those who believe that Kelly would have been better off sticking with Foles. Yeah, Nick's been hurt a lot, too, but at least he never thought about giving up.

Those injuries are real concerns, and it will be months before Bradford can start the process of proving he can stay healthy for a full season. Nevertheless, Heupel insisted that he has rarely encountered a player as competitive as Bradford, that Bradford's disappointment over the second ACL injury ran so deep because he had wanted so badly to come back and prove himself.

"When a player goes through a big letdown, it's natural to be down," said Heupel, who quarterbacked OU to a national title in 2000. "I just tried to reach out to him and say, 'Hey, I still see this in you as a person and a player. I think the best is yet to come for you. You've got to get yourself healthy and get yourself back on the field and get yourself in the right environment with the right people and the right supporting cast around you, and there's no doubt in my mind you'll achieve the things you're capable of achieving and want to achieve.'

"Nothing changed for him from a guy who was the number-one overall draft pick as far as who or what he is as a person and a competitor, and ultimately that's why there's no doubt in my mind he's going to reach the pinnacle of success."

When Heupel learned of the trade, he said, he grew excited both for the fresh start the Eagles afforded Bradford and for the possibilities of what Bradford might do in Kelly's offense. The Sooners had run a similar system to Kelly's: up-tempo, plays called by hand signals, "no verbiage," Heupel said. It had played to Bradford's strengths, to his facile mind and his accurate arm. Bradford had completed 69 percent of his passes and thrown 86 touchdowns over the 2007 and 2008 seasons for Oklahoma. Until that first ACL injury had ended his 2013 season with the Rams after seven games, his accuracy percentage - the figure that Pro Football Focus uses to determine just how precise a quarterback really is with the football - had been 74.7, the seventh-best in the NFL.

"If he's 100 percent healthy," Heupel said, "he'll be able to perform at an elite level."

There will be no bigger question for Chip Kelly and the Eagles this season, but at least they will have the opportunity to answer it. That surreal scene in Cleveland played out just seven months ago, but at least Josh Heupel picked up his phone and kept saying all the right things until Sam Bradford believed in Sam Bradford again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I guess we'll see if a quarterback can come back from a torn ACL on the same knee because there has never been one in the history of the NFL. Wish Sam the very best, but I think everyone understands what the Rams did.

RamBill

Legend
College coach talked Sam Bradford out of quitting NFL

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer
Published: March 30, 2015 at 08:08 a.m.
Updated: March 30, 2015 at 08:49 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...josh-heupel-changed-that?campaign=Twitter_atn

After yet another ACL injury last season, former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford thought about quitting for good.

And if it wasn't for an old friend and Sooners legend Josh Heupel, who was Bradford's quarterbacks coach at Oklahoma, he would have.

"It was one of those moments where, after all the time and energy and passion that he poured into rehabilitating himself in the first injury, you feel like you're snakebitten," Heupel told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "You don't know when, if, or how your body is going to respond and what your next opportunity is. You're really just in a lot of limbo. Sometimes, I think, just having a voice from an outside perspective is something that can be valuable."

While this will inevitably stir an already-brewing cyclone in Philadelphia surrounding the trade -- some might think Bradford's love of the game is waning, or something ridiculous like that -- it's refreshing to hear the human side of a story that is actually a little sad.

No one will feel bad for a bonus-baby quarterback who took home as much money as Bradford has over the years, but with so many people talking about how he was the best quarterback they've seen since Peyton Manning, there was always a hope that he'd flash some of that potential and stay injury-free.

So long as Chip Kelly does not trade him, he might have that chance. The System has made a better quarterback out of Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez alike. What could it do for a first overall pick who had an Andrew Luck-type pedigree?

Hopefully it means less distressful phone calls for Heupel, and more of us being treated to some fine quarterback play.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This is old news. He talked about it in his press conference in like January or something like that.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Makes sense he doesn't want to restructure his contract. There's so much on the line this year for Bradford, particularly for staying healthy.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
yea I love how this is old news but nobody payed attention to it then as Sam the Ram but now he's Sam the Eagle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh.

I'm pretty sure that any one of us would have said "Fuck this shit" if we blew our ACL out twice.
And then, after thinking about it over the course of a whole weekend, we probably would have changed our minds too.

rick6fan

UDFA
yea I love how this is old news but nobody payed attention to it then as Sam the Ram but now he's Sam the Eagle.

I think it may have more to do with Sam "the just traded to another team as their savior" and not necessarily "the Eagle" or "the Ram"

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm pretty sure I've seen that look in Peyton Manning's eyes before.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would have hated to see Sam be forced to quit because of injury!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Forget the injuries, the amount of hate and unwarranted criticism he got was insane. All because of a broken system where rookies got paid more money than most people would see their entire lives. The whole damn team was bad, yet he was one of the few bright spots (along with Steven Jackson, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and James Laurinaitis).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because he's not on the Rams and if he sucks they will most likely suck and we would get a high 2nd rounder
Fair enough.

I'd kind of like to see him succeed because he's been dealt some shitty hands since he's been here and he seems like a good dude.
Once players leave the Rams, I don't typically flip a switch and hope they fail, but that's just me.

High 2nd rounder, low 2nd rounder, whatever. You can either draft well or you can't.

jjab360

Legend
Because he's not on the Rams and if he sucks they will most likely suck and we would get a high 2nd rounder
I don't really care if it's an early or late second rounder, I would care about having to give back a 3rd or 4th round pick which is what we'd have to do if they pull Bradford if he actually does suck or gets injured.

I hope Bradford does well because he deserves it with all the work he's put in.

iced

Well, I guess we'll see if a quarterback can come back from a torn ACL on the same knee because there has never been one in the history of the NFL. Wish Sam the very best, but I think everyone understands what the Rams did.

Thomas Davis has torn the same knee 3x, is older, and is playing at a higher level post-3rd acl tear..

It can be done.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think it may have more to do with Sam "the just traded to another team as their savior" and not necessarily "the Eagle" or "the Ram"
savior? didn't they just win 10 games? as soon as Bradford was traded it's been talked about constantly and what he could do for Philly. Foles was hot shit then got traded to the Rams and theres been little coverage or talk nationally about him or the Rams after the trade was done.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thomas Davis has torn the same knee 3x, is older, and is playing at a higher level post-3rd acl tear..

It can be done.

Yes it can, but Davis does not play QB.