Bradford cap hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I'm guessing hell will freeze over before we go paying J Long $10.5M for 2015.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Unless Davis falls completely apart during the last 10 games, I cant see any way, shape or form that Bradford returns

Even if Davis fell apart it kind of feels like its time to move on. My heart says stick with Bradford but my head says, draft a QB if you don't think Davis is the answer. That being said, I would not be surprised in the least if Bradford went elsewhere and had a very good career and even won a Super Bowl. I do think he has the talent to win. At some point though, sometimes a player and a team for that matter need a change. It could be best for both parties. We could do a lot with 12M in cap space.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless Long's play significantly improves, that's almost certain.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/95265/a-look-at-jake-longs-contract-with-rams

Flexibility: The Rams could get out of this deal comfortably after the second season. The team of course hopes Long plays all four seasons at a high level. However, the relatively small signing bonus gives the Rams flexibility down the line. Long's deal would count $2.4 million against the cap in 2015 if the team released him after two seasons. That would be an insignificant amount of dead money for a starting left tackle with a Pro Bowl pedigree.

Only thing to me that saves him is if Barks leaves and the Rams don't feel they can replace fill his spot with GRob, then have to fill GRob's guard spot from outside and then replace Barks.
If Long is back next year it will be at G or RT. His LT days are in the past.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info. And thanks for pointing out the websites where you can find that info. Find it very difficult to believe that the Rams would bring either back with those salary #'s / cap hits. Maybe a restructuring or release then re-sign deal? Sucks because I was really hoping to see what Sam could do with more weapons and a better team around him.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
In a perfect or fantasy world Bradford owes the Rams they stuck by him no matter what and he's collected a boatload of money. He should return the favor and sign a cap friendly contract but i think I would win the lottery first before that would happen.

Irish

Starter
But if he's healthy he's not holding a clipboard...

yeah, and if Trent Green never takes a Rodney Harrison helmet to the knee we never play in 2 superbowls and win 1.

The reality is a fragile QB out of college proved to be fragile in the pros. The unfortunate part of that truth is the monumental sum the Rams were obligated to pay him because he was the #1 overall pick and the last of an incredibly broken system.

Man, if you want to really play the "if" game, imagine if the Rams had been just a little more terrible the year of the RG3 sweepstakes and we instead would have drafted Andrew Luck (Goddamn Saints). Cost controlled, bona fide superstar, game changing talent at the QB position the likes of which this town has literally never seen. Forget Bradford, the ultimate tragedy is the Rams as part of their hilarious tenure in this city sucked the worst in the worst possible seasons (Jason Smith draft and Sam Bradford draft) to where they literally could not have made a smart decision if it came and knocked on the front door of Rams park.

AZRamsFan93

We thought that was the case this year as well.

Too much risk with that amount of cap in play. We can invest big time in bringing top notch help on the o-line and linebacking corps. We can draft a young (cheap) QB to groom.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He may not even be medically cleared to play you know. Second surgeries like that can take up to a year and a half to fully recover from. So the Rams have a big time decision to make on the horizon.

Not to mention Davis could beat him out in camp. Davis is certainly outperforming on the field.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
He may not even be medically cleared to play you know. Second surgeries like that can take up to a year and a half to fully recover from. So the Rams have a big time decision to make on the horizon.

Not to mention Davis could beat him out in camp. Davis is certainly outperforming on the field.
An argument can be made that Bradford could have outperformed what Davis is doing if he was playing right now. I know he definitely wouldn't have thrown some of those INTs. I know that is speculation, but it is comparing apples to oranges either way. We shall see how this plays out, I'm personally still a believer in Bradford, though my skepticism is growing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think he'd take a salary reduction. That would give him a year to show he's healthy before free agency. If he's cut what team is going to want to give a big - or even a medium - contract to a QB coming off of two major knee surgeries and who hasn't shown he's healthy yet?
Agreed, and to reply the bolded part...i say NO ONE will. There are some who disagree, however i don't see it.

Philly5

Rookie
Bradford should hook on with a team like the Broncos. Groom him to eventually take Peyton's place while he gets healthier. Bradford was abused by the Rams organization for 4 years. Lousy OLs, non existent playmakers, and revolving door OCs. Glad he at least made a pile of money while having his talent wasted.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
An argument can be made that Bradford could have outperformed what Davis is doing if he was playing right now. I know he definitely wouldn't have thrown some of those INTs. I know that is speculation, but it is comparing apples to oranges either way. We shall see how this plays out, I'm personally still a believer in Bradford, though my skepticism is growing.

Yeah. Its obviously impossible to tell but I'm pretty confident he'd be killing it right now. Its a shame. I just hope he comes back healthy next year because he's the only guy I can see that can lead us to the post season. No disrespect meant to Davis. I'm so pleased with how he's doing. He's really exciting to watch that's for sure!

AZRamsFan93

He was also sacked 36 times in just 10 games. Just sayin..
That is true, but how many of those sacks are his own fault due to lack of pocket presence and below average mobility? Hard to say.....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One more year for me....Sam looked great pre-season....I wanna see what he can do...Maybe restructure.....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One more year for me....Sam looked great pre-season....I wanna see what he can do...Maybe restructure.....

when did he look good in the preseason I thought he looked the same....... and I don't remember any camp reports are raving about him

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@LesBaker Think he had 2-3 drives and was completing like 65%-70% of his passes....he was avg. 8 yards per completion...throwing some deep balls...after what I thought was going to be his best season ever in 2013