Bradford, at Right Cost, Would Benefit Rams in 2015/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just Remember DeSean Jackson came back from two ACL's also and he moves around more than Bradford as he is a WR.

Yeah but did Desean Jackson injured often besides the ACLs? Just wondering because Bradford seems to get hurt easily which may increase the odds that he injures his knee again.

reggae

I realize that the view of Long's play prior to the injury varies greatly among us Ram fans. However, with the second knee injury I agree that his time has passed and he is most likely a cap casualty in 2015.

I do not pin Long's failure to pan out on him the or the Rams front office. It is just the misfortune of a bad injury. One day I may be saying the same of Sam but for now I still drink the Kool-Aid of hope that he can return and play well for our Rams
Sam is the best option we have for 2015. In reality we don't have an option. Andrew Luck is not coming out. Fisher will never buy into Winston or Mariota. If you think he was ever serious about Johnny Freaking Flipstick. You are in for reality shock. So, Hunsten or the kid from Oregon St. Fisher will stick to his roots. Neither will be good to go next year. But, he's not interested in next year. Maybe not even the year after. But. that's another discussion.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Yeah but did Desean Jackson injured often besides the ACLs? Just wondering because Bradford seems to get hurt easily which may increase the odds that he injures his knee again.
Yes.The main concern with Bradford is his ACL.You can say all those thing about other players.A good example is Jim McMahon of the Bears and he won a Super Bowl.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Perhaps there are teams who agree with me that the Rams did a poor job protecting their franchise QB and providing him with quality receivers. Those same teams may also be aware that Sam works like the dickens to come back better than he was before injury---every single time!

And I could care less what you think here. Did Sam have any ACL injuries before coming to the NFL? Didn't he show up for every single snap all 16 games his rookie season while being brutalized behind a subpar OL? You don't think the high ankle strain his sophomore year had something to do with the lengths he had to go to avoid being killed? Ditto the ACL tears? Or do you they were all just freak accidents even though he never had to deal with those type of injuries before?

How reasonable do you believe you sound claiming no one is worth 50 million when there is an NFL market right in front of you that says differently? What color is the sky in your world?

I guess you like to argue. That's fine. We'll agree to disagree. My opinion that athletes are paid to much is the same as your opinion. That's all it is and we both have one. Not saying I'm right nor are you. Look, I'm a big Sam fan and I hope he comes back and earns to every bit of it but as much as I'm sure many GM's and coaches all think Sam has a great deal of talent at this point he's been injured too often (regardless of the reasons why) for any team to just hand him a big payday. It would be foolish and bad business for any GM to do so. Why do you think Snead said it can't be an "emotional" decision?

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I guess you like to argue. That's fine. We'll agree to disagree. My opinion that athletes are paid to much is the same as your opinion. That's all it is and we both have one. Not saying I'm right nor are you. Look, I'm a big Sam fan and I hope he comes back and earns to every bit of it but as much as I'm sure many GM's and coaches all think Sam has a great deal of talent at this point he's been injured too often (regardless of the reasons why) for any team to just hand him a big payday. It would be foolish and bad business for any GM to do so. Why do you think Snead said it can't be an "emotional" decision?
One could say the same for Jim McMahon and he was injured far more than Bradford

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
One could say the same for Jim McMahon and he was injured far more than Bradford
Jim McMahon was in an era with a different pay scale and a proven commodity. Sam has won nothing to this point.

Sam is the last rookie to ever get that kind of contract. Not saying it's his fault and he shouldn't care one way or the other but all I'm saying is this is a business and I would be surprised if they pay his final year as is. If he gets it so be it, it doesn't effect my life either way. But $16M is a lot to hand out when you haven't played in a meaningful game in 20 + games.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Jim McMahon was in an era with a different pay scale and a proven commodity. Sam has won nothing to this point.

Sam is the last rookie to ever get that kind of contract. Not saying it's his fault and he shouldn't care one way or the other but all I'm saying is this is a business and I would be surprised if they pay his final year as is. If he gets it so be it, it doesn't effect my life either way. But $16M is a lot to hand out when you haven't played in a meaningful game in 20 + games.
I was on record for being very surprised (and even angry) if that happened too... but the lousiness of both this year's QB draft class (outside Mariota who will be gone) and this year's FA QB's is going to really help Sam.

Earlier this season, some people well demanding that Snead offer Bradford veteran's minimum and tell him to like it or lump it. A lot of other teams would be thanking us if we were THAT stupid.

Yes, Bradford's injuries are a concern. But if he comes back from them this year, his potential is off the charts compared to anyone else available.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I was on record for being very surprised (and even angry) if that happened too... but the lousiness of both this year's QB draft class (outside Mariota who will be gone) and this year's FA QB's is going to really help Sam.

Earlier this season, some people well demanding that Snead offer Bradford veteran's minimum and tell him to like it or lump it. A lot of other teams would be thanking us if we were THAT stupid.

Yes, Bradford's injuries are a concern. But if he comes back from them this year, his potential is off the charts compared to anyone else available.

I think perhaps what I'm saying sounds like I don't want Sam or we should pay him scraps. Let me say that that's not what I mean.

Personally I have no issue paying Sam if he comes back and can play like he should. But I do think it should be in the form of incentives. He can make every dime of $16M or whatever they agree to. I just think paying him $16M no questions asked would be a risk. 2 ACL tears IS a risk. Look at how he re-tore the first one. He was barely hit.

I'll say it again, I have always been a Bradford fan and will continue to be. But just like Snead said, I have to take the emotion out of it because I want this team to win long term. If that's with Sam I'll be really happy. But the team also has to protect itself over the long haul as well.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think perhaps what I'm saying sounds like I don't want Sam or we should pay him scraps. Let me say that that's not what I mean.

Personally I have no issue paying Sam if he comes back and can play like he should. But I do think it should be in the form of incentives. He can make every dime of $16M or whatever they agree to. I just think paying him $16M no questions asked would be a risk. 2 ACL tears IS a risk. Look at how he re-tore the first one. He was barely hit.

I'll say it again, I have always been a Bradford fan and will continue to be. But just like Snead said, I have to take the emotion out of it because I want this team to win long term. If that's with Sam I'll be really happy. But the team also has to protect itself over the long haul as well.
I agree we have to take the emotion out of it... the question is just, assuming the Rams' doctors don't just say Sam's totally done, what are our other options at QB?

That question is why Bradford is going to have a LOT of leverage here.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath

The discussion is about his injury issues not his salary.People try use that as a wedge issue and the fans are complaining not the front office

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I agree we have to take the emotion out of it... the question is just, assuming the Rams' doctors don't just say Sam's totally done, what are our other options at QB?

That question is why Bradford is going to have a LOT of leverage here.

I don't know. The Dr's gave him the green light and then we got F'd in preseason. That's the thing about knee injuries, you just don't know until you go out and play. No doubt it's a tricky situation. I think both sides will figure it out. Knowing the type of guy Sam is I just don't think he wants to leave this team unless we try and totally screw him which I don't think Fisher or Snead want to do.

I think it will work out just fine.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The discussion is about his injury issues not his salary.People try use that as a wedge issue and the fans are complaining not the front office

I think in this situation you have to consider the injury history. It's not an easy situation, that's for sure.

We shall see how it all plays out soon.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate that the Rams have to be thinking of bringing Sam back. Two ACLS is one too many. I would punt, but they have NO fallback at this point. Too bad.
I agree.

Sam was timid while facing pre-season pressure. I cant imagine what he'd be like facing game time pressure and of course the 2nd comeback.
I feel awful for the guy, but he's made his cash.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I don't think so.His contract expires next year.I believe the Rams will honor it (That's what a extension is)and negotiate based up his performance in 2015.

Just so I'm clear on what you're saying;
The Rams will pay Bradford his full scheduled salary next season because it's the final year of his contract?

Playing six games in two seasons, and coming off of back to back knee surgeries, would certainly make me hesitant to invest another 16 million(+) in Bradford. Maybe that's just me though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's actually around $13m. The cap hit is $16m.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

The problem is that there is no other QBs out there who guarantee better performance over the long haul. How's it going to protect itself long term with a not so good draft class and uninspiring FAs? If Bradford won't budge on salary the best way to protect ourselves long term is to pay him his money and avoid giving away loads of draft picks to move up, or signing a QB version of Scott Wells. Not to mention if Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster opening day St Louis may not build a stadium and LA will start serious flirtations with SD and OAK. Barring some improbable trade for someone like Carr I just don't see a logical way around it, and I'd bet Sam's agent sees it too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have to be prepared for the hit that takes Sam out again. They should have already taken care of it last draft. A good rookie QB would have one year under his belt already.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Here's the deal! Nobody knows whether Sam will return better than before or not. But he has a chance to do just that, actually be healthy and in better shape than he was before. So its a coin toss. If he comes back better, 13 mil is a bargain for a true franchise QB. The alternative is to cut him and watch him sign with a competitor, probably someone in the division. Then set back and watch him light up the Rams twice a year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the deal! Nobody knows whether Sam will return better than before or not. But he has a chance to do just that, actually be healthy and in better shape than he was before. So its a coin toss. If he comes back better, 13 mil is a bargain for a true franchise QB. The alternative is to cut him and watch him sign with a competitor, probably someone in the division. Then set back and watch him light up the Rams twice a year.
Well it's pretty safe to say that no team in the division will be signing him. Only team without a big contract QB is Seattle and I think they're pretty much set

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The problem is that there is no other QBs out there who guarantee better performance over the long haul. How's it going to protect itself long term with a not so good draft class and uninspiring FAs? If Bradford won't budge on salary the best way to protect ourselves long term is to pay him his money and avoid giving away loads of draft picks to move up, or signing a QB version of Scott Wells. Not to mention if Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster opening day St Louis may not build a stadium and LA will start serious flirtations with SD and OAK. Barring some improbable trade for someone like Carr I just don't see a logical way around it, and I'd bet Sam's agent sees it too.

The problem is paying Bradford offers zero guarantee either. What if he get's injured before the season starts again? Paying (I believe kurtfaulk said $13m) without even playing a snap doesn't help anything either. And we may very well need some of that money to sign FA's (hopefully OL to help whoever is back there)

Whatever the Rams end up doing is fine, it's not my money. But paying Sam (as much as I love the guy) without seeing if he will even be able to come back is just bad business.

Signing him to a new incentive based deal that can benefit both sides is good for everyone.