Bonsignore: Here’s why Year 2 should look much better for Rams QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here’s why Year 2 should look much better for Rams quarterback Jared

ap_17100743531956-1.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff speaks with reporters after the first official day of the team’s offseason football training program on April 10 in Thousand Oaks. Goff said this week he has had an easier time learning the new offense implemented by Coach Sean McVay. (AP Photo/Greg Beacham)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

As observations go, it probably falls more into the can’t-be-seen-without-a-microscope category. But the most astute scientists will tell you items unable to be detected by the human eye are sometimes the most critical, so the relatively casual critique Robert Woods made about Jared Goff might foretell something more significant.

Woods, the Rams’ free agent wide receiver pickup, and Goff, the second-year quarterback on whom so much of their future success depends, have been consistent workout partners almost since the moment Woods signed last March. Woods might be only 25, but the four NFL seasons he has accrued involved five starting quarterbacks. And that’s four too many, given the timing, chemistry and comfort level required for quarterbacks and wide receivers to prosper together.

The former USC star would like nothing better than to develop a long, monogamous working relationship with Goff over the next few years, although that is largely dependent on Goff fulfilling the promise and potential the Rams envisioned upon drafting him first overall in 2016.

And as the early stage of their partnership evolves, Woods is on the lookout for evidence to support that conclusion.

A small sample of which was recently presented

A week ago, playing against a certain defensive look in practice, Goff misfired on a throw to Woods. The two hashed it out in conversation and conferred about it in the classroom. And when faced with the same defensive package against the same play this week during a Rams’ Organized Team Activity practice, the result was decidedly different.

“This time he threw a perfect pass,” said Woods, who seemed hardly surprised by the manner in which Goff made the adjustment or the pristine throw he delivered.

These are traits Woods has already recognized in Goff during their short time together.

“Work ethic, arm and accuracy,” Woods said, describing Goff. “You see him coming out here, always working, first to answer the question in the meeting rooms. He’s always listening. Always asking questions.”

That isn’t to suggest Goff will make the leap from the struggling rookie we saw in 2016 to All-Pro in 2017. Or that long-term success is guaranteed for the former Cal star. But given the natural progression from Year 1 to Year 2, the rebuilt infrastructure and support system the Rams have supplied Goff with this offseason and the more certain and confident demeanor he has presented so far during OTAs, there’s compelling reason to believe the 22-year-old will take a positive step forward this year.

“I think he’s done a nice job just getting better every single day,” said Sean McVay, the young coach with whom the Rams have entrusted the development of their valuable asset.

McVay’s hiring was step one in a multi-faceted off-season operation designed to enhance Goff’s development.

The 31-year-old coach’s offensive background traces all the way back to Bill Walsh — by way of McVay’s grandfather and former 49ers architect John McVay, as well as former Walsh understudies Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan. The primary pillars of McVay’s offense rest on a foundation built by teaching and the core objective of making the hardest position on the field – quarterback – as easy as possible to play.

Those might seem like standard principals across the NFL, but execution, adherence and dedication can vary from team to team and coach to coach. And Goff already senses a different level of instruction working with McVay and his staff, which includes experienced offensive teachers in coordinator Matt LaFleur, quarterback coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

“(The offense is) way different,” Goff said. “ … I’ve had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or whatnot, but I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

And already McVay’s objective of making the quarterback position more user-friendly is apparent.

“Yes, you can definitely tell,” Goff said. “There’s a lot of things that may have been on our plate before aren’t now. But, there’s also some things that are. It goes back and forth. Obviously, it’s still a tough position but he’s done a good job in the past and with me and Sean (Mannion) so far. He’s taken a lot off of our plate.”

Phase 2 in the offseason operation was improving the level of talent around Goff, which included the signing of Woods, veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan and the drafting of tight end Gerald Everett and wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds.

Goff was following the moves just like everyone else.

“I’m always watching,” he said. “I was excited about it. From Robert to Whitworth to Sullivan, to all of the guys that we drafted. It’s been really exciting to see. Exciting to see where their mentally is and, more than anything, I think they got some high-character guys in here … just some veteran guys that know what they’re doing and can not only help me, but can help everyone around them.”

Phase 3 is putting everything into motion in the classroom and on the practice field. Goff has been a mainstay at the Rams facility throughout the offseason — with participation amped up now that the Rams are in OTAs — while also working with private quarterback coaches Tom House and Adam Dedeaux to fill in the time players and teams are not allowed to be in contact, and informal workouts with Rams teammates at Westlake High and various area colleges.

He’s noticeably bigger from last year, having added 10 pounds to his wiry frame to continue the gradual yearly growth spurt he’s experienced for as long as he can remember.

“Every year I’ve kind of gotten bigger and stronger, and I’m still growing,” he said. “I don’t think I’m growing in height, as much as I’m getting a little bit wider.”

His team stature is also expanding, fueled by a work ethic others have noticed, the way he carries himself and how he interacts with teammates.

“He’s always one of the first people in here. He’s definitely always the last person out,” running back Todd Gurley said. “He’s just been doing a great job, just learning every day, getting better, in there with the coaches, attention to detail. Then just trying to make sure everybody else is on top of their game as well. He’s been doing a great job, doing what a quarterback is supposed to do. He’s going to lead this team.”

Phase 4 lies ahead. Training camp awaits. Followed by the preseason. And in early September he’ll take the field as the Rams’ starting quarterback when they open the season against the Indianapolis Colts.

We’ll have a better idea then how all the new evidence adds up, what kind of step Goff is prepared to take and how far he’s capable of leading the Rams.

But for now, anyway, there are signs to suggest Year 2 will look much different than Year 1.

“We know that any time you’re not truly live in some of these periods, it’s always a little bit more difficult,” McVay said. “I thought he’s done a nice job managing the huddle, got in and out today. He’s seeing some things, progressing through based on what coverages we’re seeing. We’re just focused on one day at a time and so far he’s done some nice things.”

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will know right away in the first preseason game. Against Dallas last year, Goff looked aloof and over matched, whereas the other two signal callers played very well, including....Wait for it, Wait for it, Sean Thomas Mannion!
tumblr_mqtmqa6yMs1s2gerco1_500.gif

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Exciting stuff, but I'm still looking at this as Goff's "real" rookie season. I suspect there will be growing pains, but it'll be fun to watch him grow in a real system.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
E I suspect there will be growing pains, but it'll be fun to watch him grow in a real system.

I agree and with McVay calling the plays combined with LaFleur & Olson for Goff to confide in all should be well at the University of California, Irvine this summer.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Gotta say I really like how Vinny writes, and talks about this year's team as well-----cautiously optimistic, not trying to put too much of a positive spin just yet. You can tell though that he feels "much better" about Goff and this year's team and the direction we're headed in. Vinny speaks to the players/coaches and gives us quite a bit of "inside Info" with his personal observations as well; he's not going to "jump-the-gun", but can tell if things continue to progress in the manner they have up to this point we're most likely looking at a pretty good season. Not saying we're going to win X amount of games, but, barring injuries and such, the arrow is definitely pointing up!
Thanks for posting this, Coach!!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea Vinny's a great follow on social media, really provides a lot of insight on our Rams. No offense to JThomas, but Vinny seems to get real nuggets out of our staff. I would imagine JThomas would have a field day with our staff too tho, they seem to be more open to sharing tidbits.

Any who, while I'm not exactly chugging the kool-aid just yet, I am excited to see Goff in our system. We will definitely be experiencing some rookie/youngin' mistakes that'll drive us crazy throughout the season, but it's going to be fun watching these guys develop into a serious playoff-caliber squad down the road under this fantastic staff.

I expect 3100 yards and 23-28 tds from Goff.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect 3100 yards and 23-28 tds from Goff.

haha, what a difference from one fantasy football site projection.

it's called myfantasyleague and they have projected goff to throw for 2616 yards, 10 tds and 16 ints. yes, they have him rated as the 32nd qb.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
haha, what a difference from one fantasy football site projection.

it's called myfantasyleague and they have projected goff to throw for 2616 yards, 10 tds and 16 ints. yes, they have him rated as the 32nd qb.

All they did was project his stats from last year into 16 games. Zero research done.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Year two should be much better for the team as a whole, let alone Goff. Last year we had a Defensive minded HC, an experienced DC and inexperienced OC(s) and QB coach. In all honesty the O was set up to fail long before we took to the field, and I can't be sure that's down to the players at all.

This year things are different.

We have a young, O/QB-minded HC, possibly THE most experience DC in the business, an experienced QB-minded OC, an experienced QB coach, an OL coach thats on the top of his game. These are pieces of the jigsaw that have been recently missing. These guys will be able to get GOOD production form an "OK" QB.

IF Goff (and other players) can't improve the quality of play and improve on production this year, with more wins, then something is wrong.

I'm not expecting a SB appearance this year, but I am expecting an over .500 finish, with a wild-card qualification.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All they did was project his stats from last year into 16 games. Zero research done.

yeah, probably. they mustn't have got the memo that fisher was kicked to the kerb and the rams have a dynamic offensive mind running the show now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Year two should be much better for the team as a whole, let alone Goff. Last year we had a Defensive minded HC, an experienced DC and inexperienced OC(s) and QB coach. In all honesty the O was set up to fail long before we took to the field, and I can't be sure that's down to the players at all.

This year things are different.

We have a young, O/QB-minded HC, possibly THE most experience DC in the business, an experienced QB-minded OC, an experienced QB coach, an OL coach thats on the top of his game. These are pieces of the jigsaw that have been recently missing. These guys will be able to get GOOD production form an "OK" QB.

IF Goff (and other players) can't improve the quality of play and improve on production this year, with more wins, then something is wrong.

I'm not expecting a SB appearance this year, but I am expecting an over .500 finish, with a wild-card qualification.

Love the optimism. While I'm expecting improvement, I'm not expecting a playoff spot. What I do expect is steady improvement throughout the season. Goff learning to play in the system. Learning to play with his teammates. There will be ups and downs but I expect to see the ups outweigh the downs by the end of December.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“He’s always one of the first people in here. He’s definitely always the last person out,” running back Todd Gurley said. “He’s just been doing a great job, just learning every day, getting better, in there with the coaches, attention to detail. Then just trying to make sure everybody else is on top of their game as well. He’s been doing a great job, doing what a quarterback is supposed to do. He’s going to lead this team.”
https://lasportshub.com/2017/05/28/rams-news-goff-chemistry/

Recent Rams news include LA providing their franchise quarterback with weapons. Los Angeles had weapons on defense in 2016, yet the offense was lacking.

In essence, they had an excellent defense and an okay offense. They had one main prominent target in receiver Kenny Britt. After the 2016 NFL season, Britt left LA to join the Cleveland Browns. In return, Robert Woods left the Buffalo Bills and returned home to LA.

Goff wasn’t extremely successful last season, but he was good. He had his fair share of ups and downs with the team. He needed weapons around him and LA got those through the draft as well as in Woods. Everyone is now building their chemistry with each other.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/867412976277508096

In order for him and the team to succeed he needed more skilled skill players, raw athletic talent for a lack of better words. The Los Angeles Rams were one of the few teams who graded well in the draft.

They selected a few players who will be difference makers for the Rams. For instance, they selected Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington and tight end Gerald Everett from South Alabama. Additionally, they have former USC Trojans running back Justin Davis. Davis provides depth at the running back position and outstanding athletic ability behind Todd Gurley as well.

Depth on offense is one key for the Rams to succeeding in the upcoming NFL season. Jared Goff and his new weapons are building their chemistry.

LA has always had one quality receiver. During the offseason, they have picked up multiple quality receivers. It is as if the Rams have finally found the pieces to the puzzle and connected them.

Now all that is left is to finish the puzzle and turn it into the masterpiece it is. All of the art of the puzzle pieces will shine during the 2017 NFL season.

Finally, the offense will be as good as the defense and be able to hold their own. LA Rams new era is work in progress that is almost completed.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Love the optimism. While I'm expecting improvement, I'm not expecting a playoff spot. What I do expect is steady improvement throughout the season. Goff learning to play in the system. Learning to play with his teammates. There will be ups and downs but I expect to see the ups outweigh the downs by the end of December.

Ups and Downs I can take - The Down and Deeper Downs I want to eradicate this year...