Blood Moon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I went outside at around 2:00 a.m. to look at it, and I didn't see any red. It was just a half eclipse from my vantage point.
I R Disappoint. :(

You're EST right? Way too early, peeked at 3:45 AM.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're EST right? Way too early, peeked at 3:45 AM.
Did you watch it Blue? Does that mean it peaked at 12:45 our time? I'm assuming Paulie is 3 hours ahead. Thought it was supposed to be around 2 here.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Did you watch it Blue? Does that mean it peaked at 12:45 our time? I'm assuming Paulie is 3 hours ahead. Thought it was supposed to be around 2 here.

I popped out and took a look a few times and when it was red, I didn't watch the entire thing because they're pretty slow and boring. Solar eclipses are quick, which is a shame because they're so much cooler. Was pretty tired for class this morning, but most of us, including the professor were too, so we cut out early. One of the benefits of an astronomy class, you always have an excuse as to why you were out late.

It did peak about 12:45 our time though. Although I did check out mars more with my telescope.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I popped out and took a look a few times and when it was red, I didn't watch the entire thing because they're pretty slow and boring. Solar eclipses are quick, which is a shame because they're so much cooler. Was pretty tired for class this morning, but most of us, including the professor were too, so we cut out early. One of the benefits of an astronomy class, you always have an excuse as to why you were out late.

It did peak about 12:45 our time though. Although I did check out mars more with my telescope.
Yeah so my timing was way off. Should have checked for myself. My wife has a certain gene that doesn't allow her to get times right. Twice she has showed up at the airport an hour before the arrival time - not departure. We don't let her hold the tickets anymore.

Oh well. It was probably still overcast at that time. Doubt I would have been able to see it anyway. Thanks.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
It Ok it going to happen again 3 more times exactly 6 months apart from eachother

bluecoconuts

Legend
Don't worry, there's going to be a more coming. The next total lunar eclipse will be in October, and those of us on the west coast will be able to see the entire thing from start to finish. East coast will get to see most of it as well.

In 2017 there's going to be a Solar eclipse that sweeps across the United States, if you drive down to Salem, Oregon you'll be able to see the full one. For those in Missouri, they'll be able to see it in Kansas City. Next year in March I'm hoping to be able to go to Norway to see a total eclipse, I know that most of the graduate students will have a chance to go for research reasons. Although I'm focusing my study more on detecting other Earth like planets, it's always exciting to see those.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I missed it to watch my Oakland A's beatup on the Anaheim Angels, coming back in the 9th from 2-runs down :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't worry, there's going to be a more coming. The next total lunar eclipse will be in October, and those of us on the west coast will be able to see the entire thing from start to finish. East coast will get to see most of it as well.

In 2017 there's going to be a Solar eclipse that sweeps across the United States, if you drive down to Salem, Oregon you'll be able to see the full one. For those in Missouri, they'll be able to see it in Kansas City. Next year in March I'm hoping to be able to go to Norway to see a total eclipse, I know that most of the graduate students will have a chance to go for research reasons. Although I'm focusing my study more on detecting other Earth like planets, it's always exciting to see those.

Cool stuff. You and my son would probably get a kick out of talking about this stuff. He's going to U of O as a literature major but is changing it to either astronomy or astrophysics (yikes) because he wants to be a sci-fi writer and he can't get the classes he wants unless he switches. He loves his astronomy class and is signed up for the next level course next semester.

I'm sure we'll be around the area in 2017. Salem is just about an hour and a half away. Not sure about the eclipse in October. We are in Oregon after all. Never know though. October can be pretty nice.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I missed it to watch my Oakland A's beatup on the Anaheim Angels, coming back in the 9th from 2-runs down :)
You're dead to me.:p

Actually - when I played little league, we were the As so that was one of my favorite teams unless they were playing the Dodgers. Loved me some Vida Blue.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's kind of a tough major. It's a lot of fun, at least the parts where we actually talk about stars and such, but the nuts and bolts is pretty dull, lots of things about light. The physics classes are especially harsh at times. My mom still doesn't understand how I go from a pretty poor high school student, to grunt, to physics major.:LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's kind of a tough major. It's a lot of fun, at least the parts where we actually talk about stars and such, but the nuts and bolts is pretty dull, lots of things about light. The physics classes are especially harsh at times. My mom still doesn't understand how I go from a pretty poor high school student, to grunt, to physics major.:LOL:
Yeah - I know. I took a physics class when I was in college and it about wiped me out. I ranked top 7 in math among college bound seniors and I loved physics and it still kicked my ass. My son is constantly talking about light and planet discoveries and what it's going to take to inhabit other planets and so on. This is a kid that absolutely hated math in HS and was all about music and literature. Now he's looking at astrophysics? I get what your mom is thinking.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah - I know. I took a physics class when I was in college and it about wiped me out. I ranked top 7 in math among college bound seniors and I loved physics and it still kicked my ass. My son is constantly talking about light and planet discoveries and what it's going to take to inhabit other planets and so on. This is a kid that absolutely hated math in HS and was all about music and literature. Now he's looking at astrophysics? I get what your mom is thinking.

I hate math too, I just happen to be good at it. I've actually been pretty good at most subjects, except some of the biological sciences. It's interesting stuff, but genetics, synapses, all that stuff just bore the pants off me. I failed my first psychology class hard, retook it for a B and got a D in a biology class that I later retook for an A. Don't know why those types of subjects give me such trouble. Have your son take a physics class, if he still enjoys it then it could be a viable option. Since he wants to be a writer he doesn't really need to worry about going further than a 4 year degree. If you want to really work in the field you need your PhD though.