Bernie: Rams defense can show way to playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This was extremely helpful.

Going forward, I will just picture Honey Boo Boo when I read a Bernie column.

Thanks Alan.
But wait! What about those of us who have never seen Honey Boo Boo and don't know what Bernie should look like? We are the forgotten men in all this! I feel gypped.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If he did his homework before he critized the team then it wouldn't get the vitriole he gets from the real Rams fans! Too much arrogance in his stuff to let it go as knowledgeable writing also. He's a tool!

He probably uses statistics and various sources more than any writer in the country. Again, not understanding this lazy tag people want to give him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hmmm... I wonder... if he took a different tone (not so emotional, not appearing to be arrogant)... a more objective tone, would his opinions still be considered?

Sometimes he does do research and still criticizes. Is those opinions received differently here?

The local reporters levy criticism from time to time. I'm new to this board, are they met with this same strong reaction?

If not, why not? Got to figure it has more to do with Bernie's "way" than his actual opinions or research.
IMO - his last article posted here was treated pretty fairly by most on here including yours truly. IIRR it was also well done.

In my opinion, just like with any poster, you can be critical of specific things the organization/team has done. There is no problem there as long as it doesn't become your entire raison d'etre. If you are respectful and aren't simply disparaging, criticisms are accepted and debated here. I don't think there is a one of us that doesn't question or criticize something the Rams do or have done. It's the sniping little comments, two-faced agendas, and class envy that Bernie gets on with that bothers me - NOT that he is critical.

When he writes a good article, I generally say just that. So in that respect @Alan I am not walking through the room attacking Honey Boo Boo. I'm making commentary on specifically what he wrote at THAT time. If it is primarily that he sucks, maybe he should stop sucking. And this article plain sucked.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He probably uses statistics and various sources more than any writer in the country. Again, not understanding this lazy tag people want to give him.

I have no way of knowing if he does or doesn't. That said for a guy who is writing and covering STL sports he is the least gifted IMO of the lot, doesn't have sources to speak of, has limited access to Rams staff, does zero in the way of interviews and generally is a caustic and insulting blob when it comes to interacting with fans in writing.

He earns the flack he gets.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I have no way of knowing if he does or doesn't. That said for a guy who is writing and covering STL sports he is the least gifted IMO of the lot, doesn't have sources to speak of, has limited access to Rams staff, does zero in the way of interviews and generally is a caustic and insulting blob when it comes to interacting with fans in writing.

He earns the flack he gets.

When he was on the radio he had Kevin Demoff on his show regularly, as well as many Rams coaches and players. As another poster mentioned earlier, he brought many contacts to 101 and helped get them on the map.

Bernie Miklasz is one of the more respected columnist in the country, regardless of what many on ROD want to believe.

I think part of the problem here might be that all some of you seem to read is his internet pieces that are more casual and opinion rather than a lot of his stuff that includes is statistical analysis and content from interviews/pressers. Also as discussed earlier I think many people tend to look at him as a reporter, which he is not. Similarly may people look at Jim Thomas to give his opinion more when he is simply a beat writer. It's funny how the criticism goes around with these 2.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
When he was on the radio he had Kevin Demoff on his show regularly, as well as many Rams coaches and players. As another poster mentioned earlier, he brought many contacts to 101 and helped get them on the map.

Bernie Miklasz is one of the more respected columnist in the country, regardless of what many on ROD want to believe.

I think part of the problem here might be that all some of you seem to read is his internet pieces that are more casual and opinion rather than a lot of his stuff that includes is statistical analysis and content from interviews/pressers. Also as discussed earlier I think many people tend to look at him as a reporter, which he is not. Similarly may people look at Jim Thomas to give his opinion more when he is simply a beat writer. It's funny how the criticism goes around with these 2.

But hasn't he been off the radio for ages.......and really radio is set up to be half interviews so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, I don't like the tone and tenor of most of his work. And as far as national respect it's worth noting that this type of media (columnists) is one of the largest Mutual Admiration Societies in the biz.

When he got in bed with Martz as his "consultant" and became his lapdog he should have been fired IMO.

RmsBlsCds

UDFA
As another poster mentioned earlier, he brought many contacts to 101 and helped get them on the map.

Geez, Mr. Sinatra, I'm just ANOTHER poster now!?!? :-( So heartbroken to be so forgotten so quickly! (RamsBluesCards)

At any rate, I think this thread has already gone on too long, and the last thing we need to be doing is white knighting for Bernie, but I absolutely stand by what I say.

What -X- commented about above is pretty effed up if that's true. Pretty crappy thing to do over Twitter.

I think that is a fundamental flaw of Bernie and something he has admitted to. He lets people get under his skin too much, and in his profession that's a dangerous character flaw. He lashes out which is rather unprofessional. I'll give you that much.

Again, I just don't get the hatred. He's being compared to Jim Thomas when the two of them have 2 completely different jobs. Thomas is a beat writer/reporter. He reports and gives minimal opinion on it. Bernie is a columnist and his writing will be way more opinion-based.

Challenging that he doesn't have sources seems ludicrous as well. The guy regularly had Dan Diedorf, Kevin Demoff, Gil Brandt, Kurt Warner, and just about every writer and columnist from whatever major city the Cardinals or Rams were playing in. If you are terrible at your job then these people don't feel inclined to talk to you. If you are as terrible a writer/columnist as this thread tries to portray then the guy wouldn't have a job, or are we all assuming we are smarter than those that employ him, read him, and still confide in him as sources? That sounds like a rather Bernie thing to say, wouldn't ya think? :-D

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Geez, Mr. Sinatra, I'm just ANOTHER poster now!?!? :-( So heartbroken to be so forgotten so quickly! (RamsBluesCards)

At any rate, I think this thread has already gone on too long, and the last thing we need to be doing is white knighting for Bernie, but I absolutely stand by what I say.

What -X- commented about above is pretty effed up if that's true. Pretty crappy thing to do over Twitter.

I think that is a fundamental flaw of Bernie and something he has admitted to. He lets people get under his skin too much, and in his profession that's a dangerous character flaw. He lashes out which is rather unprofessional. I'll give you that much.

Again, I just don't get the hatred. He's being compared to Jim Thomas when the two of them have 2 completely different jobs. Thomas is a beat writer/reporter. He reports and gives minimal opinion on it. Bernie is a columnist and his writing will be way more opinion-based.

Challenging that he doesn't have sources seems ludicrous as well. The guy regularly had Dan Diedorf, Kevin Demoff, Gil Brandt, Kurt Warner, and just about every writer and columnist from whatever major city the Cardinals or Rams were playing in. If you are terrible at your job then these people don't feel inclined to talk to you. If you are as terrible a writer/columnist as this thread tries to portray then the guy wouldn't have a job, or are we all assuming we are smarter than those that employ him, read him, and still confide in him as sources? That sounds like a rather Bernie thing to say, wouldn't ya think? :-D
Haha...sorry, I'm bad about recalling statements but not who wrote them.

And I agree we've discussed this to the fullest extent. I just wanted to get some guys that bicker about him so often to think about how it looks. It really was/is starting to remind me of the P-D Bradford hate. Sorry guys, just how it is starting to come off.

images

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it, well, he gets it. An' I don't like it any more than you (ROD) men. " (y)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Haha...sorry, I'm bad about recalling statements but not who wrote them.

And I agree we've discussed this to the fullest extent. I just wanted to get some guys that bicker about him so often to think about how it looks. It really was/is starting to remind me of the P-D Bradford hate. Sorry guys, just how it is starting to come off.
So how did it look to you cuz you seem like one of "those guys",we don't like the guy or his style ,you do, takes two to tango,we've advanced several unrefuted faults in the man and his style ,quit being a hall monitor and "showing US" not your yob mang

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I went through his archives and I think possibly you refer more to his articles on the Cards. He doesn't appear to be near as thorough or thoughtful in his Rams pieces. That being said, the last Bernie article posted here was the one titled "Rams need to improve on defense". And here was my comment:
Good read. Thanks. I realize there is a no Bernie rule but Phx has always said that if the guy starts toning down the vitriol toward the organization, he is welcome back here. This was a pretty good piece IMO.

I only post this to demonstrate that Bernie is not always hated for being Bernie. Yeah - maybe by some as they have apparent Bernie fatigue. But when he writes a good piece that is well thought out, it is acknowledged. In the article, he was critical but fair. And he didn't just mail it in. Personally, I feel that when he does just mail it in or is being an ass, he should be called on it. If he is going on one of his plain bitchy spurts, he should be called on it as well. AND when he writes a good piece, he should be able to expect appreciation.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Any chance we could just let this thread die now?
Yeah we could let it die ,IF some people understand /accept that Bernie is a HUGE part of WHY the PD is what it is and defending him is a proxy defense of the very type of posting they supposedly left to avoid

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah we could let it die ,IF some people understand /accept that Bernie is a HUGE part of WHY the PD is what it is and defending him is a proxy defense of the very type of posting they supposedly left to avoid
I dunno. I think this thread will die long before that happens. Don't think I'd expect it or ask for it personally.