Be Weary Of Blitzing Against Philly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Watched the Eagles. Philly's offense will be even more dangerous this year. Their speed alone is amazing. One thing the Rams need to be very careful about are those screen plays. Obviously GW will have a plan but our blitzes better be very tactical. After watching McCoy tear through that snow storm last year like a jackrabbit this guy needs to be approached with extreme caution and don't give him an inch of space or he's gone.

Alan

Legend
You always have to be afraid when Williams blitzes. It's going to be exciting.
upload_2014-8-21_22-20-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We're gonna give up some big plays against teams like Dallas and Philly. However, the Rams step it up in the Red Zone and those defenses suck. We'll force some TO's, too. I really like our chances.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Philly has to play defense and the one counter to speed is a big brutal running game...... (Imagine Long, Barksdale, Joseph, Safford, Wells on the line and then using GRob as the Harkey position......Now that's Jumbo!) And their "pace" game runs them right out of the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We just need to tackle against Philly. That's the key. Blitzing can stall their attack because TFLs are bad for a team like theirs. The key is making the 1 on 1 tackles in space. And there's definitely reason to be apprehensive about that.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
(Imagine Long, Barksdale, Joseph, Safford, Wells on the line and then using GRob as the Harkey position......Now that's Jumbo!) .

That's an intriguing idea. I had not even considered the beefed up o-line backups in a jumbo package. Hopefully we'll see it, in the red zone, with Stacy or Benny bowling in for some extra TD's this year!

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
That's an intriguing idea. I had not even considered the beefed up o-line backups in a jumbo package. Hopefully we'll see it, in the red zone, with Stacy or Benny bowling in for some extra TD's this year!
Can't wait to see some of the packages used this year - too much talent not to score.

FRO

Legend
Luckily for us we should be able to generate pressure without blitzing. We can't play scared though. Be aggressive and take your game to them. We have talent too.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's just gap integrity. Nothing wrong with bringing a extra body just to force a quick dump off. The Eagles don't really play hurry up , they try to get more offensive plays in and limit defensive substitutions. Teams that have success against them play nickel as a base. Anyway at the pace they play they'll be down a qb or two and and Maclin will be down for the count by then. Dallas will be a much harder game

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Once again, the way to defeat the Chip Kelly/Oregon/Philly offense is to penetrate with your tackles, disrupt the QB/RB handoffs, and keep your DE's and LB's disciplined. If you start blitzing or the DE's start crashing down, this offense will gash you.

See the Ducks vs Ohio State, Auburn, and LSU. I don't know how Philly's Oline is, but with the Rams Dline, especially with our projected depth, Philly should be beatable. If the Rams can get sustained long drives on Offense, the Philly Defense will be completely gassed by the end of the game. Chip Kelly's offense doesnt give the D much time to rest.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Philly has to play defense and the one counter to speed is a big brutal running game...... (Imagine Long, Barksdale, Joseph, Safford, Wells on the line and then using GRob as the Harkey position......Now that's Jumbo!) And their "pace" game runs them right out of the game.
To see that formation in action in short yardage would be worth the price of admission all on its own. I can't imagine many linebackers looking forward to filling a gap with GRob running downhill at them.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think Philly is going to walk away with the NFCEast title. They just look head and shoulders above the rest of their division. On offense they look scary good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Once again, the way to defeat the Chip Kelly/Oregon/Philly offense is to penetrate with your tackles, disrupt the QB/RB handoffs, and keep your DE's and LB's disciplined. If you start blitzing or the DE's start crashing down, this offense will gash you.

See the Ducks vs Ohio State, Auburn, and LSU. I don't know how Philly's Oline is, but with the Rams Dline, especially with our projected depth, Philly should be beatable. If the Rams can get sustained long drives on Offense, the Philly Defense will be completely gassed by the end of the game. Chip Kelly's offense doesnt give the D much time to rest.
add in Stanford....The Eagles lived on the threat of explosive plays, without D. Jackson their ability to stretch the field has been limited. They only have Shady, who's a RB, so the field will be tighter...Last nights game showed the Steelers are in a boat load of trouble....Or they're going through it....Pressure up the middle & Foles will just throw the ball away, more likely to the other team.

AZRamsFan93

We're gonna give up some big plays against teams like Dallas and Philly. However, the Rams step it up in the Red Zone and those defenses suck. We'll force some TO's, too. I really like our chances.
The Philly game - on the road - is one of my biggest concerns. I am not sure we will be able to score with the Eagles.

Mr. Schottenheimer and Mr. Fisher should study Chip Kelly's offense. It's modern (yes, I am saying that our offense is not). Last season they were only the 2nd team in NFL history to amass 2500 yards rushing and 4000 yards passing in the same season. If that team can play just a little better on defense they will be scary good this year.

AZRamsFan93

add in Stanford....The Eagles lived on the threat of explosive plays, without D. Jackson their ability to stretch the field has been limited. They only have Shady, who's a RB, so the field will be tighter...Last nights game showed the Steelers are in a boat load of trouble....Or they're going through it....Pressure up the middle & Foles will just throw the ball away, more likely to the other team.
That team still has Maclin, Riley Cooper, Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, and Jordan Matthews (who looks like a steal in the 2nd round), plus McCoy and Sproles. Foles is also really good - I don't know where you get the "more likely to the other team" from - didn't he have 27 TDs and only 2 INTs last year? (QB rating of 119 - ridiculous).

If we beat that team on the road it will be a major win for us.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We just need to tackle against Philly. That's the key. Blitzing can stall their attack because TFLs are bad for a team like theirs. The key is making the 1 on 1 tackles in space. And there's definitely reason to be apprehensive about that.

Similar to defending the GSOT where you had to make sure the receiver didn't make the first guy miss and have room to run. I'm not comparing the Eagles to the GSOT just saying that's how you slow them down.

Blitzing would expose the back of the defense and I dunno if they are good enough yet, though we will have a much better idea by week 4 of course. Foles is smart and has a fast release, blitzing is risky so I don't want to see a still unproven secondary get tested too much.

Just my preference.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Philly game - on the road - is one of my biggest concerns. I am not sure we will be able to score with the Eagles.

Mr. Schottenheimer and Mr. Fisher should study Chip Kelly's offense. It's modern (yes, I am saying that our offense is not). Last season they were only the 2nd team in NFL history to amass 2500 yards rushing and 4000 yards passing in the same season. If that team can play just a little better on defense they will be scary good this year.
yea Schotty should definitely take a page from Kelly especially deploying Tavon this year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Good stuff, man, that is impressive. Yes, the fast pace will wear our defenses IF the opposing offense cannot sustain a drive that allows the defense to rest. We've seen first hand how fast a game can get out of hand when the fast pace results in nearly a turnover with so little clock used.

Old School Vs New School is the Rams and Eagles.