Bash Brothers reunite as Rams, Raiders meet/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Bash Brothers reunite as Rams, Raiders meet

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6565bc15-83c9-5568-9fed-0cbd87c1176d.html

When the Rams and Oakland Raiders square off Sunday, it’ll mark a Bash Brothers reunion for linebackers Daren Bates of the Rams and Oakland’s Ray Ray Armstrong.

A year ago, the pair of undrafted rookie free agents quickly became friends with the Rams and provided a spark for a special-teams unit that improved steadily over the course of the season. Armstrong led the Rams with 12 special-teams tackles while Bates chipped in with five tackles and an 11-yard fumble return for a touchdown on a kickoff in the Rams’ 38-13 rout of the Texans in Houston.

The Bash Brothers wreaked havoc during games and entertained by dancing to the stadium music prior to kickoffs.

The duo was separated earlier this season when the Rams waived Armstrong due to too many penalties and mistakes.

At the time, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, “It just wasn’t working, so we moved on.’’

A day later, Armstrong was claimed by the Raiders. But he and Bates have remained close.

“They put us in the same room for rookie camp and we just hit it off,’’ Bates explained. “We talked (Tuesday) night. But we really didn’t talk much about football, at least not about the upcoming week. Both of us will be trying to win, trying to help our team.’’

Bates, who’s second on the Rams with five special-teams tackles and another stop on defense, is hoping to hook up with Armstrong sometime before the game and definitely expects to make contact with him during Sunday’s contest.

“We’re going to line up against each other. That’s no secret,’’ the 23-year-old said. “We’ll be dancing and we’ll be hyped. We might even have the same dance moves. It’s something we’re both excited about. I don’t mind being beat up or beating somebody else up — that’s special teams. On every play, you gotta be doing something to help your team.’’

Armstrong, a 6-3, 234-pounder, is tied for fourth with three special-teams tackles for the Raiders. He also has two solo defensive tackles.

BARKSDALE FACES FORMER TEAM

After a solid career at LSU, Rams right tackle Joe Barksdale was selected by Oakland in the third round of the 2011 NFL draft. The 6-foot-5, 326-pound Barksdale played in 16 games with no starts for the Raiders in 2011.

He was released early the next season and was claimed off waivers on Sept. 27, 2012. Since then, Barksdale has been as solid as can be for the Rams. Sunday will mark his 25th start in the team’s last 26 games.

“I think in the back of every player’s mind who’s ever been cut by a team, whenever they get to play that team, it’s a special game,” the 26-year-old Barksdale said. “There’s always going to be something there, but at the same time I’m not trying to make it personal because it’s not about me. It’s about the team.”

INJURY REPORT

It appears rookie cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle) will miss his fourth consecutive game after sitting out Friday’s practice. He’s listed doubtful for the Oakland game.

Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (groin) and defensive tackle Alex Carrington (thigh) are questionable. Probable after Friday workouts are linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), wide receiver Kenny Britt (back), cornerback E.J. Gaines (knee), tight end Cory Harkey (thigh), tight end Jared Cook (back), linebacker Will Herring (foot) and linebacker Alec Ogletree, who left Thursday’s practice early due to illness.

Also probable are center Scott Wells, defensive end Robert Quinn and guard Davin Joseph, who all received vets’ days off this week. Defensive end Eugene Sims has missed practice all week due to a death in the family but is expected to play on Sunday.

The Raiders have ruled out cornerbacks Carlos Rogers (knee) and Neiko Thorpe (hand), safety Jonathan Dowling (back) and running back Latavius Murray (concussion).

Strong safety Larry Asante (shoulder) was limited on Friday and is probable for Sunday. The same is true of cornerback/kick returner T.J. Carrie (ankle). Guard Gabe Jackson (knee) has been limited all week and is questionable.

Tight end Brian Leonhardt (concussion) has practiced all week and is probable.

TUCK TD VS. RAMS

Oakland defensive end Justin Tuck, who signed a two-year $11 million deal with the Raiders after spending his first nine seasons in New York with the Giants, scored the only touchdown of his NFL career in St. Louis on Sept. 9, 2008, when he picked off a fourth-quarter pass from Marc Bulger and returned it 41 yards for a score in a 41-13 Giants’ victory.

“I remember it was a game that we pretty had won,’’ Tuck said during a conference call with St. Louis media earlier this week. “We had the opportunity to be in some pass-rush (situations) at the end of the game and (I) was just able to make a play and bat a ball to myself and outrun the offense.’’

A two-time All-Pro, Tuck helped the Giants win Super Bowl titles following the 2007 and 2011 seasons.

RAM-BLINGS

With the team not scheduled to practice again until Dec. 3, Fisher has once again reached his self-imposed goal of wearing shorts at practice until December. It’s a tradition that dates back to his playing days with the Chicago Bears.

“I was very lucky,’’ the coach joked following Friday’s workout at Rams Park. “I had one day where it was an issue. You couldn’t tell, but I had hand-warmers in my pockets.’’

• Country music’s Montgomery Gentry will perform a 1-hour concert following Sunday’s game between the Rams and Raiders. The concert is free with the purchase of a game ticket.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Let's hope Ray takes out his frustrations from Fisher releasing him, by committing some special teams penalties against the Rans!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah. Ray Ray gonna be good for 10-15 yards at some point in this game for us.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Latavius Murray not practicing Friday, ruled OUT vs Rams
There goes the Raider Run game!

Armstrong, a 6-3, 234-pounder, is tied for fourth with three special-teams tackles for the Raiders
What's that say about the Raiders ST, When he's 4th, and hasn't been with the Team all season!

Let's hope Ray takes out his frustrations from Fisher releasing him, by committing some special teams penalties against the Rans!
Yeah. Ray Ray gonna be good for 10-15 yards at some point in this game for us.
These two Quotes, from Elmgrovegnome, and CGI pretty much say it all!! I predict, in this game, Raider Fans are going to see WHY the Rams let him go!

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
To bad to the kid would've been a good player for us if he just stopped all the dumb penalties.
I feel the same way. I thought he was a heck of a player and maybe could push Dunbar off the field. But stupid penalties and mental mistakes doomed him here in St. Louis.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
WTH??

Totally thought this was gonna say McGwire and Conseco were gonna watch the game together. Ugh. Those were the real bash brothers who played for Oakland before McG became a Cards legend. That was back when baseball wasn't boring as all get out.

Does that not make perfect sense?

moklerman

Warner-phile
WTH??

Totally thought this was gonna say McGwire and Conseco were gonna watch the game together. Ugh. Those were the real bash brothers who played for Oakland before McG became a Cards legend. That was back when baseball wasn't boring as all get out.

Does that not make perfect sense?
You beat me to it. Oakland, St. Louis, the Bash Brothers...it's gotta be about McGwire and Canseco, right?

I never heard these LB's referred to as the Bash Brothers.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I can't wait to see what kind of mistakes Ray Ray makes this game. I also wouldn't mind if we shipped Bates off to Oakland too so they can reunite, he's a bonehead in the same vein as Armstrong.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You beat me to it. Oakland, St. Louis, the Bash Brothers...it's gotta be about McGwire and Canseco, right?

I never heard these LB's referred to as the Bash Brothers.

Exactly, they were just a couple of knuckle heads. :LOL: