Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Man, have we bought and drank the cool aid. Owners make BILLIONS, only league without guarantee contracts and now refuse to install side line cameras to improve the game. They have persuaded us to celebrate cheap-skating players at every step.

As fans, I do not believe we are all that knowing.

Sorry for the rant. Have at me.
It drives me nutz. And the media has the fans focused on how much the player make, but few argue that the owners should take less.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If the Rams do not draft at least 1 OL in the first 3 rounds I will be stunned and irritated. How anyone can see this OL in its current form as anything other than a glaring area of need is beyond me. The fact that this is predicted as an OL rich draft, coupled with our situation is a gift horse they should not try to floss. Just my. 02.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If the Rams do not draft at least 1 OL in the first 3 rounds I will be stunned and irritated. How anyone can see this OL in its current form as anything other than a glaring area of need is beyond me. The fact that this is predicted as an OL rich draft, coupled with our situation is a gift horse they should not try to floss. Just my. 02.

I will be shocked if the Rams don't draft an offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds! I will also be shocked if they don't sign at least two offensive linemen overall!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Actually the better talent is acquired at the top half of the draft.
I'd argue all day that the talent on this roster is good to very good across the board with the exception of the OLine. It's clearly the black eye on this roster when you look at the long term investment put in, and potential compared to the rest of the squad.

I agree that typically the talent SHOULD BE better during the early portions of the draft but oftentimes that simply doesn't turn out the be the case. Especially along the OLine.

Just going back to the 2013 draft class, one could argue that the best OG and OTs have been 3rd Rounder Larry Warford, 4th Rounder David Bakhtiari, and 5th Rounders Ricky Wagner & Jordan Mills.

And even if someone disagreed, they'd be hard pressed to prove that Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson, Coooper, Warmack, Pugh, Long, and Watson are and have been noticeably better impactwise (key point) at their positions. But, those were all the big names in the first couple of rounds.

Plus, I'd argue that the OLine wouldn't be an exception "potential" wise if Blalock and Barksdale (original point) were signed. Long-term investment? That doesn't matter too much for 2015 season does it? I'm not going to feel good about the season if the team places a bunch of rookies out there next year and they struggle through some growing pains and hurt the team. Are you?

"Well, they might not have done as well as a veteran might have and our QB may have taken some hits that he shouldn't have had to take, but at least long term, we are in good shape on the OLine in they pan out."

The long term doesn't mean a thing for the 2015 season. Team needs can change yearly via injuries, free agency, or the unexpected development of other young players. Besides, some of the so-called long term investments elsewhere have contracts that expire shortly. So how long-term are they really?

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think Rhaney will be a big suprise this year. I really liked him coming out of college.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think Rhaney will be a big suprise this year. I really liked him coming out of college.

There were quite a few rookie starting Centers selected in later rounds last year.

Examples:
Bryan Stork - 2014 4th Rounder
Russell Bodine - 2014 4th Rounder
Corey Lindsey - 2014 5th Rounder

Maybe Rhaney is next.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm just ready for some semblance of clarity regarding our OL. I know it must be the prudent thing to wait it out right now for a lower price closer to the draft but it all seems such a big ass gamble. Please solidify this OL with some veteran presence SOON!

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
There were quite a few rookie starting Centers selected in later rounds last year.

Examples:
Bryan Stork - 2014 4th Rounder
Russell Bodine - 2014 4th Rounder
Corey Lindsey - 2014 5th Rounder

Maybe Rhaney is next.

To be absolutely honest though. ...this is true of ANY position. You can always find jems later in drafts....but the later it is..... they also become few and far between.

Go Rams.............. ;)

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It drives me nutz. And the media has the fans focused on how much the player make, but few argue that the owners should take less.

When the CBA is being negotiated I'm a big advocate of more going to the players. But given the existence of the salary cap, when actual salaries are being negotiated it is in the team's competitive interest to pay a particular player less, leaving more to sign other players.

But yes, players should get a larger percentage of overall revenues. The owners make a huge, basically guaranteed profit, and have fun doing so. I mean, everything else being equal, would you rather own a series of office buildings or a NFL team?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
OTHER RTS AROUND THE LEAGUE. Per stats.com

49ers 1st Round OT Anthony Davis gave up 10.5, 9.5, & 10 sacks his first 3 seasons.

Former Lions and current Colts OT and former 1st Round OT Gosder Cherilus gave up 6.5, 8.5, 2.0, & 9.0 sacks his first 4 seasons.

Giants 1st rounder Justin Pugh gave up 7.5 last year. And he missed 2 games.

Chargers 1st Rounder D.J. Fluker? 6.0 & 6.0 sacks with 15 penalties so far.

Vikings 2nd Rounder Phil Loadholt? 6.0, 4.0, 9.5 sacks his first 3 seasons.

Browns 2nd Rounder Mitchell Schwartz gave up 6.0, 11.0, & 6.0 his first 3 seasons.

Cowboys Doug Free? 5.0, 9.5, and 7.0 sacks his first 3 years as a full time starter.
Steelers 2nd rounder Marcus Gilbert 7.0 & 7.5 sacks (1st & 3rd year).

Packers 1st Rounder Bryan Bulaga gave up 11.0 sacks as a rookie.
Seahawks 2nd rounder Justin Britt gave up 7.0.
Eagles 1st rounder Lane Johnson gave up 8.5.

Yet most of these offenses kept chugging along. Well the ones with a good QB/Offensive Coordinator performance.

You know. Now I'm beginning to see why Barksdale may have been asking for a lot of money.:whistle:

His agent looked at this and thought I'm going to make Barks rich. But in reality he must not be viewed in this class of players. The question is with the draft looming, can the Rams improve at the position?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that o-line doesn't look all that great to me.

LT. 2nd yr 1st round pick (ok no complaints)
LG. Aging veteran probably on the decline.
C. A bunch of whos???
RG. Very good player when he's healthy. Let me repeat, when he's healthy.
RT. No other team except for the Titans and the Rams wants this guy out of 32 teams. That has to make you wonder.

I hope the draft is as deep with linemen as they say it is.
This is how I see it.

They got Barnes back (he wasn't able to show a lot while here).

Now, if they sign Barksdale, I see basically the same line they had last year, sans Wells and Long, who these guys were unable to beat out.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but - thus far- I see no improvement over last year and we all know how that turned out.

Free agency isn't over and the draft is ahead... I'll feel better if they make a serious attempt to shore up that line through both avenues.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His agent looked at this and thought I'm going to make Barks rich. But in reality he must not be viewed in this class of players. The question is with the draft looming, can the Rams improve at the position?

They already have a better ORT on the roster now...issue is he is the Rams best OL by far. Saffold is a outstanding starting OG for us but he is not as effective playing on the edge.

However if the current Ram center trio light turns on & all three can remain healthy The Rams add another OLG in free agency (since there are no decent ORT left) & then draft a very good one on day two(since there should be an outstanding cadre of OG's on the board)....... then Boudreau has some options @ ORT & Saffold could end up getting that constant leak of quick pass rushers sacking & molesting our QB...... finally stopped.

If the interior OL adds talent thus permitting Saffold (at least for this season) to return to the OT cadre it bolsters our entire OL unit. Boudreau would now have Robinson, Saffold, Barksdale all having been starters & all 3 would suit up on game day. In this trio you have OLT/ORT & the important swing OT (in Saffold). Boudreau would also have two reserve ORT's (Reynold & Baker)as the 4th & 5th OT's where they are much better suited at.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Free Agency isn't over yet we still have some money to spend and I believe it will be spent on the Oline. this is also a very very deep Oline draft its not time to hit the

panic-button.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

Our O-line is the only glaring 'hole' in the team right now, I would have liked to have picked up a couple of guys with starting potential, I know we're not done in FA yet, so I'm not going to freak out. What does worry me is that were always boosting and enhancing our d-line, but we seem to leave the o-line wanting. Yes our defence can win the odd tight game, but without an o-line our QB will end up having grass stains on his back having being weighed and measured by opposing DE's. After all, defences WANT to out-sack the Quinn and the Ramboys.

So please Mr. Fisher and Mr. Snead, how about a tasty o-line signing, even if it's just Barks back in the fold...

Memphis Ram

Legend
To be absolutely honest though. ...this is true of ANY position. You can always find jems later in drafts....but the later it is..... they also become few and far between.

Go Rams.............. ;)

True. But, I'd bet OLine is probably one of the higher percentage positions though. And the best part about it that due to the nature of the position, teams don't typically need gems to have success (with the possible exception of blindside protector) on offense.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
True. But, I'd bet OLine is probably one of the higher percentage positions though. And the best part about it that due to the nature of the position, teams don't typically need gems to have success (with the possible exception of blindside protector) on offense.

Yeah in my experience that couldn't be farther from the truth....you cannot just plug anyone into the starting line up and get the same results. ...don't care if it's guard center or right tackle.. and I strongly disagree that you could just plug any lower pick into Zach Martin's spot last year and yield the same results.... but hey whatever.... what do I know....lol

Go Rams......... ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Where is Cameron Erving?
Ok, for you monkey, choose one

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson --------Washington/Saffold
LG AJ Cann----------Bond
C Erving--------------Barnes
RG Saffold-----------Garrett Reynolds
RT D. Smith---------Barksdale

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson -------Washington/Saffold
LG Ali Marpet------Bond
C Erving-------------Barnes
RG Saffold----------Garrett Reynolds
RT Flowers----------Barksdale
(QB change in this one, no Hundley or Petty:oops::confused::sick:)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah in my experience that couldn't be farther from the truth....you cannot just plug anyone into the starting line up and get the same results. ...don't care if it's guard center or right tackle.. and I strongly disagree that you could just plug any lower pick into Zach Martin's spot last year and yield the same results.... but hey whatever.... what do I know....lol

Go Rams......... ;)

But, again you are disagreement with something that wasn't even said.:(

And as stated in other thread, Murray had a higher yards per carry average the season prior to Martin's arrival with a declining 36 year old Brian Waters (5 games) and Mackenzy Bernadeau (11 games) at Martin's current spot being the only personnel change on the OLine. And they still scored a buttload of points.

Again the difference this year had more to do with the team's re-dedication to running the football and Murray staying healthy 16 games. Not the addition of Martin.

Last edited: