Bailey back to West Virginia....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think the Rams had an open door for him, but he decided to take the opportunity to finish his degree while still working in football (and perhaps even mentor college kids?). All around it seems like it's building to a great ending instead of a horrible tragedy, kudos to him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was a bit confused after reading that he was practicing with TA.
I thought that working with any player would be against league rules, since Bailey is now working for the team and isn't a player.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe he finally realized that it is in his best interest to give up the dream of returning to playing football and look to a future coaching it. WVU gives him the best opportunity for for that IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.todayspigskin.com/pigskin-news/rams-wr-stedman-bailey-will-coach-west-virginia/

ByJon Schlosser
Posted on July 18, 2016

Before he was with the then St. Louis Rams, WR Stedman Bailey played at West Virginia. He only stayed for three years and did not finish his degree before going to the NFL. However, he’s now going back to get that degree, and he’s going to join the coaching staff, according to coach Dana Holgorson.

Bailey’s NFL career has been derailed by a serious injury, as he was shot in the head back in 2015. He recovered and seems to be doing quite well, all things considered, but he probably can’t return to the NFL. The Rams had recently put him on the non-football injury list. Coach Jeff Fisher had talked about allowing him to work with the Rams’ coaches, so he wouldn’t have to give up on the NFL entirely, but he would apparently prefer to go to West Virginia. That decision does make sense because of his chance to finish his degree and plan for life without a pro football paycheck—even though he’s expressed some optimism that he may someday return.

Fisher is reportedly very happy that Bailey has this opportunity, and the WR himself expressed his thanks to the organization for standing by him in such a tough time, saying:

“First of all, I would like to thank the Los Angeles Rams organization, my teammates, coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and the ownership for the way they have taken care of me and my family since they drafted me. They’re a first-class organization and made me feel like part of the family, especially during the past few months, which have been a tough time. Moving forward, I would like to thank West Virginia University, especially coach Dana Holgorsen and athletic director Shane Lyons for making this opportunity available. Even though my playing career isn’t over yet, this gives me more time to heal so I can make a return. However, It is important to me to finish my degree. I loved my time as a Mountaineer football player and I look forward to working with coach Holgorsen and the Mountaineer football program.”:(

Ram65

Legend
It makes too much sense. Degree and coaching experience. Good luck Stedman Bailey!!!!!!!!!!!!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Best of luck Steadman. We're at Rams Nation are going to miss the Mountaineer play that you took it to the house.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, the degree aspect makes complete sense. I hope he finishes his degree and finds a niche in either coaching or another NFL aspect. Good Luck Sted!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a quitter.

I kid, I kid...

Good on him. Get that degree, coach in a real, err I mean "aggressive" offense and heal that noggin.
Who knows where it will end up. Part of me hopes to see him make a team some day, on the other hand I hope he realizes that the risks don't out weigh the positives