Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you familiar with Sullivan's back history?

Who is this backup guard that you're impressed with?

Plus remember Jamon Brown is going to need to be re-signed soon enough.

Austin Blythe is #1 !!! The Freaking guy held things together last tour with this exact group of lineman on the roster !!!

Jamon Brown ?? Will see the draft is in less than a week.

Neary is a C/G

Eldrenkamp is more of a C , but I’m sure cross trains as well so the CENTER Spot is taken !!

Now a G/T would be another thing or just a swing Tackle is another ??

Guard is a key spot for sure !! Saffold contract is up as well , so there is no depth at all really after Blythe.
All & All Big Rob could slide down & play RG !! It will be interesting to see what Kromers thoughts are on all of this though.

Right now it’s all a prediction, I’m just going on roster & what has happened since the new regime came into town.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Austin Blythe is a scrappy little dude but he's much more suited for a strict Zone blocking scheme then our hybrid Power/Man/Zone scheme.

We haven't even seen him play a whole game much less a series of games.
He was released by Indianapolis who needed lineman.

Eldrenkamp is also 300 lb but at least he's 6-5 where Blythe is 6-3, so he has a better chance of putting on some more weight frame wise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin Blythe is a scrappy little dude but he's much more suited for a strict Zone blocking scheme then our hybrid Power/Man/Zone scheme.

We haven't even seen him play a whole game much less a series of games.
He was released by Indianapolis who needed lineman.

Eldrenkamp is also 300 lb but at least he's 6-5 where Blythe is 6-3, so he has a better chance of putting on some more weight frame wise.

Agreed — Neary is list as a guard out of the 3 backup Centers. My point is The Rams have 3 backup Centers. That is not a position of need at all !!

Yes guard is the biggest need , so we are both sort of right. I’d say G/T over C/G is all .

Four positions vs three ??

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Of our backups, I see four guys that could stick and the rest are on the bubble or practice squad players.

And those four had better have a good camp.
Blythe
Eldrenkamp
Williams
Lucas

We'll know how the Rams feel about their backup o-linemen come Friday and Saturday.

If they draft three or four and then pick up a bunch of UDFAs on top of that, they're definitely looking to upgrade.

fearsomefour

Legend
Of our backups, I see four guys that could stick and the rest are on the bubble or practice squad players.

And those four had better have a good camp.
Blythe
Eldrenkamp
Williams
Lucas

We'll know how the Rams feel about their backup o-linemen come Friday and Saturday.

If they draft three or four and then pick up a bunch of UDFAs on top of that, they're definitely looking to upgrade.
Blythe and Williams would be the top two as of now I would think.
Blythe played meaningful time last year and played well.
Williams plays a more important position than Lucas.
Neary played over Eldrenkamp week 17 and Eldrekamp looked completely overwhelmed anytime we've seen him play.
Things can change in camp.
Who is drafted? Can Lucas play LT and supplant Williams?
Right now it is Blythe and a bunch of guys.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Eldrenkamp wasn't drafted because he's 295 lb. He has good technique and footwork he's just too small and was getting overwhelmed.
I have to think that they've been working on his weight and strength in the offseason.

Blythe has everything going for him except size.

I think Lucas is almost sure to stick as a backup.
Massive size, long arms, decent technique.
They also have tape on him against real competition that they can analyze and work on his weaknesses.

William seems to stick for some reason though he didn't look that good in real game action.

I can't really comment on Neary.
He's just a hope and a dream.

I'm predicting three in the draft and one in the fourth round at least.

JMO.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe and Williams would be the top two as of now I would think.
Blythe played meaningful time last year and played well.
Williams plays a more important position than Lucas.
Neary played over Eldrenkamp week 17 and Eldrekamp looked completely overwhelmed anytime we've seen him play.
Things can change in camp.
Who is drafted? Can Lucas play LT and supplant Williams?
Right now it is Blythe and a bunch of guys.

Very well put !!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Eldrenkamp wasn't drafted because he's 295 lb. He has good technique and footwork he's just too small and was getting overwhelmed.
I have to think that they've been working on his weight and strength in the offseason.

They also have tape on him against real competition that they can analyze and work on his weaknesses.

William seems to stick for some reason though he didn't look that good in real game action.

JMO.

Fair opinion. The Rams think highly of Lucas for only the fact they kept him on the roster.

DW has got some good reps in at LT with the starters as well as Blythe . These guys were counted on during 2017. With DW he is still only 24 , which to me seems unreal ?? He went to college at 16-17 ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some excellent points in here on the complete current WWC's & UDFA's collected for our OL depth. As Ram fans we sure have differing opinions. Just think how long I waited to have in-depth conversations about Rams players with bonified knowledgeable Ram fans This is a good place to post is it not:yess:.

We do have some serious negative & positives elements effecting the Rams OL this season. Not sure why The Ram Org. let the Rams OL so uncovered in its future....I posted yesterday about the tight cap space this team will be in in 2019 about 10 months from now. In effect making the signing of just one of these 3 starting OL'ers seems as a best of situation. Not alone to thrown in a real possible retirement of the most important OL post LT Andrew Whitworth at the end of this season when he will be 37 yr old. Not a pretty picture is it.

This OL reserve unit has five under sized OL'ers & one normal sized OL'er (Lucas). Blythe, Neary & Eldrenkamp are real small OL'ers & Darrell Williams is only 6-4 1/2 under 305 for a OT is small. DW was 288 lbs when he first arrived here back in 2015. I hold zero hope for DW as a stop gap starting LT for any period of time. Cornelius Lucas stands a good chance to be our best top OT prospect early in 2018 TC.

Austin Blythe is the smallest Ol'ers in the NFL today. He is under 6-2 has the shortest arms in NFL history (30 inches), super small hands & undersized by every standard that NFL teams use for centers. He lacks most all physical traits you look for in an OC. Blythe may have done OK in his one start for Saffold last season @ LG but Blythe will never be a full time starter anywhere else but center. The thing I remind myself is he is super smart on the technical savvy side with maturity way beyond his 2 NFL seasons. So we would be OK if Sullivan were to have an IR event in 2018.

Aaron Neary & Jake Eldrenkamp better to have shown some physical improvements (Adding strength & power) to become real future OL prospects. These two have a little time left before this training camp to show that they have put the time in. Jake Eldrenkamp is like Blythe in mold "An athletic zone-scheme fit at guard". Just like Blythe, Eldrenkamp is technically sound. Unlike Blythe Jake has longer arms & big hands that will help him @ LG prospect. Aaron Nearly joined Cooper Kupp & Samson Ebukam all three Eastern Washington teammates. Nearly might be our 3rd OC reserve when TC begins.Nearly is a bigger OC than Blythe.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Bonifay, you think that the 6-9 330 lb Lucas is "normal size".

The dude is a freaking monster! :D

The man is lucky if he can walk down the street without the villagers coming after him with torches!

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Bonifay, you called Aaron Neary, "Aaron Nearly".

You already put the man in the bubble, huh? :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, you think that the 6-9 330 lb Lucas is "normal size".

The dude is a freaking monster! :D

He's lucky he can walk down the street without the villagers coming after him with torches!

:oops:Guess I was looking more at the Lbs where we have four starters Whitworth 333lbs, Brown 330lbs, 328 lbs, Saffold 325lbs.......yes he is abby norm-al in height.:cheers:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Some excellent points in here on the complete current WWC's & UDFA's collected for our OL depth. As Ram fans we sure have differing opinions. Just think how long I waited to have in-depth conversations about Rams players with bonified knowledgeable Ram fans This is a good place to post is it not:yess:.

We do have some serious negative & positives elements effecting the Rams OL this season. Not sure why The Ram Org. let the Rams OL so uncovered in its future....I posted yesterday about the tight cap space this team will be in in 2019 about 10 months from now. In effect making the signing of just one of these 3 starting OL'ers seems as a best of situation. Not alone to thrown in a real possible retirement of the most important OL post LT Andrew Whitworth at the end of this season when he will be 37 yr old. Not a pretty picture is it.

This OL reserve unit has five under sized OL'ers & one normal sized OL'er (Lucas). Blythe, Neary & Eldrenkamp are real small OL'ers & Darrell Williams is only 6-4 1/2 under 305 for a OT is small. DW was 288 lbs when he first arrived here back in 2015. I hold zero hope for DW as a stop gap starting LT for any period of time. Cornelius Lucas stands a good chance to be our best top OT prospect early in 2018 TC.

Austin Blythe is the smallest Ol'ers in the NFL today. He is under 6-2 has the shortest arms in NFL history (30 inches), super small hands & undersized by every standard that NFL teams use for centers. He lacks most all physical traits you look for in an OC. Blythe may have done OK in his one start for Saffold last season @ LG but Blythe will never be a full time starter anywhere else but center. The thing I remind myself is he is super smart on the technical savvy side with maturity way beyond his 2 NFL seasons. So we would be OK if Sullivan were to have an IR event in 2018.

Aaron Neary & Jake Eldrenkamp better to have shown some physical improvements (Adding strength & power) to become real future OL prospects. These two have a little time left before this training camp to show that they have put the time in. Jake Eldrenkamp is like Blythe in mold "An athletic zone-scheme fit at guard". Just like Blythe, Eldrenkamp is technically sound. Unlike Blythe Jake has longer arms & big hands that will help him @ LG prospect. Aaron Nearly joined Cooper Kupp & Samson Ebukam all three Eastern Washington teammates. Nearly might be our 3rd OC reserve when TC begins.Nearly is a bigger OC than Blythe.

After your break down it Totally Shows Me The Offensive Line will Be Addressed Big Time come this Weekend !!!

In fact I think The Rams move Up from there pick to draft a Player(OT/G ) they have in a certain bubble!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
:oops:Guess I was looking more at the Lbs where we have four starters Whitworth 333lbs, Brown 330lbs, 328 lbs, Saffold 325lbs.......yes he is abby norm-al in height.:cheers:
BTW. I did catch the Young Frankenstein reference.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Has to be the top 10 of all time Laughing events in Movie history! :bow:
After your break down it Totally Shows Me The Offensive Line will Be Addressed Big Time come this Weekend !!!

In fact I think The Rams move Up from there pick to draft a Player(OT/G ) they have in a certain bubble!!

Well I’ll call myself out ??

I did think OT was the no brainer which Les Snead said we won’t tell you the direction we are going in the draft , but you can read between the lines sort of speak ?

I don’t have a clue at this point of who The Rams drafted ?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t have a clue at this point of who The Rams drafted ?

He wasn't dominating in college - but stayed healthy, is quite smart, showed coachability in the Senior Bowl (and apparently shone there) and while already big - has room on his frame to add a lot more muscle. A developmental guy, who can reasonably be projected to become a nice, solid LT, despite being drafted the second half of the third round.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

JMO.

Soul man — giving you credit man !!!!

I did not see a center being drafted . This Allen seems under sized .

I could tell The Offensive Line was a key priority just from the start of this post.

I thought OT was key . Kromer is getting a big say in this draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He wasn't dominating in college - but stayed healthy, is quite smart, showed coachability in the Senior Bowl (and apparently shone there) and while already big - has room on his frame to add a lot more muscle. A developmental guy, who can reasonably be projected to become a nice, solid LT, despite being drafted the second half of the third round.

Thanks for the info . I’ve got to go back & watch the Senior Bowl again now . I record it every year . Les Snead & The Rams scouts jump into it . They really do there home work & maturity of those type of players are ready for the NFL.

Was Brian Allen a Senior Bowl guy as well.