Auto Power Inverter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wife has some work to do on laptop while we are on the road later this week. Old power inverter is dead. Anyone purchased one lately? Anyone have any suggestions on brands? It's been a while since I bought one so I don't know what's out there today.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Go on Amazon.
30 bucks or less will get a nice one. In fact mine is 5 years old and start g to slow down. I use it every day. I need to do the same.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm unsure about a cig adapter driving a laptop. Charging may be slower than power use.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good topic.

My wife bought this monstrosity and it has many functions. It has a USB port for charging phones and Kindles and a built in air compressor (weak one) and jumper cables with a start option. Then it has to receptacles for running 120 and then two things that look like car lighter plugs.

So, this thing charged Kindles and phones very slowly. It would not run a tiny portable coffee pot or an air mattress pump. Now how could it possibly jump start a car if it cannot run those two things?

I guess it is a big ole battery with options.

Anyway is it broke? or is that how they work? It was $100.00

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good topic.

My wife bought this monstrosity and it has many functions. It has a USB port for charging phones and Kindles and a built in air compressor (weak one) and jumper cables with a start option. Then it has to receptacles for running 120 and then two things that look like car lighter plugs.

So, this thing charged Kindles and phones very slowly. It would not run a tiny portable coffee pot or an air mattress pump. Now how could it possibly jump start a car if it cannot run those two things?

I guess it is a big ole battery with options.

Anyway is it broke? or is that how they work? It was $100.00
It actually takes more power than one would think to run a coffee maker.
It does sound like you have a battery jumper and not a power inverter. A power inverter will either hook up to your battery or plug into a power point/cig lighter in your vehicle.

For $100 it's probably worth it just for the battery jumping capabilities. Knowing that a dead battery can be jumped without the help of another vehicle is a great option for the wife to have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It actually takes more power than one would think to run a coffee maker.
It does sound like you have a battery jumper and not a power inverter. A power inverter will either hook up to your battery or plug into a power point/cig lighter in your vehicle.

For $100 it's probably worth it just for the battery jumping capabilities. Knowing that a dead battery can be jumped without the help of another vehicle is a great option for the wife to have.

Thanks for the info. I am still surprised it takes more power to run a small coffee maker than it does to jump a car....but I have never really studied electricity so what do I know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm unsure about a cig adapter driving a laptop. Charging may be slower than power use.
Not sure what model mine is. It was $40 at a local auto parts store. It powers my laptop just fine via cigarette adapter. In fact, I can run that and charge my phone at the same time with no hiccups. It has a USB port so I just plug in my phone, use it as a hotspot and surf the net while driving. Well... while my wife is driving. :cool:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure what model mine is. It was $40 at a local auto parts store. It powers my laptop just fine via cigarette adapter. In fact, I can run that and charge my phone at the same time with no hiccups. It has a USB port so I just plug in my phone, use it as a hotspot and surf the net while driving. Well... while my wife is driving. :cool:
Mine was about the same price. I have a Bestec 300 watt.
I have charged many power tool batteries with it.
The usb is a nice feature that i have also put to good use.