Austin Davis - Spin Move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

jjab360

Legend
Who had the two drops? I recall Britt dropping a pass but that's it. The other two incomplete passes were the throw away at Kendricks's feet IIRC and the pass defensed by Sherman to Austin.
I considered the scramble and pass to Kendricks in the 4th where he caught it one handed but was ruled out of bounds because he juggled it to be a drop. And looking at the replay now, I'm not too sure it wasn't a catch, he might've gotten both feet in bounds once he had the ball. Wasn't worth a review for only a few yards I guess, though.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think that is more of an issue with the route itself. I HATE those routes to anyone other than to any of our big boys. It still amazes me that Schotty has TA running those slant routes. TA tends to run to a spot and stop on those instead of keeping moving. Regardless, I have always said that Tavon will be most dangerous if used like Desean Jackson. Use his speed down the field with go/9 routes and on rub routes in the intermediate game. Ah well.....

Slant routes should be money for Tavon if they catch the LB's dropping into a zone. The curl routes where they have Tavon stop are what bother me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Slant routes should be money for Tavon if they catch the LB's dropping into a zone. The curl routes where they have Tavon stop are what bother me.
Unless, he's sitting in a zone. And arm strength is a bit of an issue, in situations like that, and part of the reason, last week, why he was so off on some throws. He has to anticipate more with his arm. Footwork, arm work, and core work can help with his zip, but he'll never have a plus arm, IMO.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I considered the scramble and pass to Kendricks in the 4th where he caught it one handed but was ruled out of bounds because he juggled it to be a drop. And looking at the replay now, I'm not too sure it wasn't a catch, he might've gotten both feet in bounds once he had the ball. Wasn't worth a review for only a few yards I guess, though.

I wouldn't really call that a drop. But that's my opinion. My recall was off on that one, though, I had remembered it as a throw-away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Slant routes are man beaters, not zone beaters. You don't want a WR running a slant with zone coverage over the middle. Going to get his head knocked off doing that. That's why slant routes have a spot option vs. zone coverage for the WR to sit down rather than continue crossing the field.

Curl routes are fine for Tavon. They're quick, high percentage routes. Those type of routes can be very effective if Tavon separates because you can catch a CB off-guard with a quick spin up-field. They don't know which way you're going to break.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't really call that a drop. But that's my opinion. My recall was off on that one, though, I had remembered it as a throw-away.
I'd agree it was a throw away, but with the caveat, that either his receiver makes an amazing catch, or NOBODY catches it. My problem with the play, which is a minor one, because he was running for his life, is that it appeared as if Britt just broke loose and was wide open, in his sight line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. But did you see Tavon not run through/out on that 3rd down where Dick Sherman knocked it down? That looked more like a come back, but you have to recognize the coverage and help your QB out.

I think it was a curl out. Could have done a better job selling it for sure but Sherman had him hooked pretty good. Got away with pretty blatant holding. He grabbed him like a LT does a DE trying to turn the corner when Austin released outside and never let go.

jjab360

Legend
I'd agree it was a throw away, but with the caveat, that either his receiver makes an amazing catch, or NOBODY catches it. My problem with the play, which is a minor one, because he was running for his life, is that it appeared as if Britt just broke loose and was wide open, in his sight line.
I saw that too, I don't think Britt had anyone over the top. If Davis was looking down the field, it probably would've been a much easier TD than the one he threw on the scramble against Philly.

Like a couple people mentioned before, if Davis can reach that medium between gunslinger wildman and captain checkdown (both of which he actually does pretty well), it's going to be a sight to behold.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I saw that too, I don't think Britt had anyone over the top. If Davis was looking down the field, it probably would've been a much easier TD than the one he threw on the scramble against Philly.

Like a couple people mentioned before, if Davis can reach that medium between gunslinger wildman and captain checkdown (both of which he actually does pretty well), it's going to be a sight to behold.
That's exactly what I saw. One thing about Davis, like you mentioned, and I mentioned earlier, we've already seen Davis do a lot of totally different things well. I'm still intrigued, not sold, but totally intrigued, and am enjoying seeing him grow before our eyes. Where he ends up, I have no clue, because he has the ability to change his game, which is kind of a rarity.

To me the rarity isn't inconsistent play, but different play.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The last vid works.
I like that Davis has fun. I hope that the coaching staff doesn't try to hold him back too much.
Let him play.

I can't help but think that he could get better when the game slows down for him.

Let him play to an extent. You don't want it to look like the end of the Niners games. Each deep ball was as hopeless as the last.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Unless, he's sitting in a zone. And arm strength is a bit of an issue, in situations like that, and part of the reason, last week, why he was so off on some throws. He has to anticipate more with his arm. Footwork, arm work, and core work can help with his zip, but he'll never have a plus arm, IMO.

I think he has enough to succeed. I just want a little more zip on the intermediate throws. If he can add a little with footwork, and core work, then get him doing some leg raises.