Austin Davis - Spin Move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
r0nferno6hcknej1omkj.gif

I think Watt has been watching DeMarcus Ware. ;)

Yeah your right. I knew it was a night game. It was Ware. I need to get more sleep and stop staying up late watching football. I'm getting a little punchy.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah Davis totally won me over on that spin move. I'm all in for him now. He just has "it" I've decided. The ability to make shit happen on the fly. As long as he learns from his game ending interceptions from past losses he'll be fine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah your right. I knew it was a night game. It was Ware. I need to get more sleep and stop staying up late watching football. I'm getting a little punchy.

Oh! I thought Watt did it too. :LOL:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought, Favre on that play. It seemed like they scaled A. Davis back a little in this game. I'd like to see a combo of, "balls out" Austin Davis, and smart, restrained, Austin Davis. That will be his winning combo, when he figures out when to take his shots, and when not to.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Channeling his inner Romo. What I had never notice before on that play is that Tavon is in at HB. Really would have been interesting(but somewhat risky) if Davis had thrown back to Austin on the other side of the field.

yeah it was there if he stopped in the endzone and rifled it across to him. too late after the spin movc.

that would be a great play around midfield where the rams could absorb a sack if tavon is covered and the pass is too risky.

jjab360

Legend
I liked his roll out to the left and throwing against his body to Kendricks in a tight window, that was a nice play as well.

Davis avoided a number of pressures on Sunday with his feet and avoided a couple sacks by going through his reads quick and hitting his checkdown.

18/21 with two dropped passes is pretty outrageous no matter what team you're going against, and for it to be against the Seahawks is just the cherry on top. He showed us that he's not always the fearless gunslinger, he can tone it down if the gameplan calls for it and just take what the defense is giving him all game long.

Cool under pressure, accurate, explosive if we need it, and efficient if we don't, this kid might just be the "answer" we've been looking for, guys. I thought he might've been just a flash in the pan, but a flash in the pan would've been exposed and fizzled out by now like Keenum last year and many more before him. Davis, otoh, just keeps getting better and better.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Still a little worried about his arm strength. Any chance he can develop that a little more?

That's the only problem I have with him at this point. I believe he can only get better, but I want more zip on his intermediate throws.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Still a little worried about his arm strength. Any chance he can develop that a little more?

That's the only problem I have with him at this point. I believe he can only get better, but I want more zip on his intermediate throws.

Why worry? I see no issue whatsoever with his arm strength, personally. I think people see that release point and the arch he puts on some passes and confuse that for lack strength. I see that as touch and timing on his passes. He needs work on the deep ball, but not due to his lack of arm...if anything he needs to simma down and take some off of those, haha. I love Sammy B, but it seemed every single pass that came off his hand was a rifle shot...and not always in a good way. He had, IMO, way too much gas on the short passes....which were almost all he threw in this offense. Davis has more of a Warner type delivery. less velocity, but a very catchable ball. Did you see the intermediate throw to Cook at the begining of the SF game? ZIP! How about the throw to Givens against the hags? Not saying Davis = Warner, just that the delivery seems more similar to me. Just my .02.

Last edited:

fastcat

Pro Bowler
In the past 3 preseasons davis showed he had a knack for adlibling because he was under CONSTANT pressure playing with our 2nd and 3rd... even the 4th string OL. He would consistently try to take something happen and escape a rush but he was playing with the same tier recievers and only had a second or 2 to throw.... Just go back and watch those games. I didn't think he was accurate because he over and under threw people. We are just 6 games in but he looks like our qb of the future... at the very least a top notch stop gap

And nothing is wrong with his arm stregnth... look at Peyton manning. He is the best qb EVER and he throws ducks down the field. Austin has a stronger arm but it's about ball placement. But those darts do look nice tho

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend

I think the whole arm strength issue is overblown. He has a stronger arm than people think but because he doesn't throw it on a rope every single pass like Kaepernick that he can't do it. Nothing wrong with using a little touch, Brees and Manning know when and when not to take some heat off the ball and their receivers love them for it.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Why worry? I see no issue whatsoever with his arm strength, personally. I think people see that release point and the arch he puts on some passes and confuse that for lack strength. I see that as touch and timing on his passes. He needs work on the deep ball, but not due to his lack of arm...if anything he needs to simma down and take some off of those, haha. I love Sammy B, but it seemed every single pass that came off his hand was a rifle shot...and not always in a good way. He had, IMO, way too much gas on the short passes....which were almost all he threw in this offense. Davis has more of a Warner type delivery. less velocity, but a very catchable ball. Not saying Davis = Warner, just that the delivery seems more similar to me. Just my .02.

I just see what happens to Tavon on short curl routes. The ball doesn't get there quite fast enough, and Tavon gets blown up.

I guess we'll really find out how durable he actually is.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I recall watching preseason and every time Davis hit the field Marshal Faulk spoke about how much he like Davis and that he had the "it" factor. Davis has gone on to prove Marshall as the Sage of St Louis! Lets keep this roll going Davis. Great to see that in a season with so many injuries and questions that Davis man have answered the biggest question that has plagued the Rams for about a decade...who is the franchise QB?!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked his roll out to the left and throwing against his body to Kendricks in a tight window, that was a nice play as well.

Davis avoided a number of pressures on Sunday with his feet and avoided a couple sacks by going through his reads quick and hitting his checkdown.

18/21 with two dropped passes is pretty outrageous no matter what team you're going against, and for it to be against the Seahawks is just the cherry on top. He showed us that he's not always the fearless gunslinger, he can tone it down if the gameplan calls for it and just take what the defense is giving him all game long.

Cool under pressure, accurate, explosive if we need it, and efficient if we don't, this kid might just be the "answer" we've been looking for, guys. I thought he might've been just a flash in the pan, but a flash in the pan would've been exposed and fizzled out by now like Keenum last year and many more before him. Davis, otoh, just keeps getting better and better.

Who had the two drops? I recall Britt dropping a pass but that's it. The other two incomplete passes were the throw away at Kendricks's feet IIRC and the pass defensed by Sherman to Austin.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought, Favre on that play. It seemed like they scaled A. Davis back a little in this game. I'd like to see a combo of, "balls out" Austin Davis, and smart, restrained, Austin Davis. That will be his winning combo, when he figures out when to take his shots, and when not to.

Agreed. Would like to see the Davis willing to check it down quickly in the same game with the Davis willing to go for the throat. We saw some of that vs. Seattle but I feel like they kept Davis on a leash until that last TD drive.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just see what happens to Tavon on short curl routes. The ball doesn't get there quite fast enough, and Tavon gets blown up.

I guess we'll really find out how durable he actually is.

I think that is more of an issue with the route itself. I HATE those routes to anyone other than to any of our big boys. It still amazes me that Schotty has TA running those slant routes. TA tends to run to a spot and stop on those instead of keeping moving. Regardless, I have always said that Tavon will be most dangerous if used like Desean Jackson. Use his speed down the field with go/9 routes and on rub routes in the intermediate game. Ah well.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that is more of an issue with the route itself. I HATE those routes to anyone other than to any of our big boys. It still amazes me that Schotty has TA running those slant routes. TA tends to run to a spot and stop on those instead of keeping moving. Regardless, I have always said that Tavon will be most dangerous if used like Desean Jackson. Use his speed down the field with go/9 routes and on rub routes in the intermediate game. Ah well.....

That's a spot route. It's an option on the slant for zone coverage. In man, you continue to run through the route over the middle. In zone, you sit down in a hole in the zone.

You'll also see it used a lot for TEs even against man coverage if you want a quick completion vs. the blitz.

Athos

Legend

It's the footwork. Not the arm. And footwork can be fixed.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a spot route. It's an option on the slant for zone coverage. In man, you continue to run through the route over the middle. In zone, you sit down in a hole in the zone.

You'll also see it used a lot for TEs even against man coverage if you want a quick completion vs. the blitz.

True. But did you see Tavon not run through/out on that 3rd down where Dick Sherman knocked it down? That looked more like a come back, but you have to recognize the coverage and help your QB out.