Austin Davis - Interesting Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRamsFan93

Part of that is the grass is always greener. People think they need a great qb to win when you really need a complete team. None of those teams were built to win.
Yet, somehow, the teams that were "built to win" have QBs that play at a higher level.

This is a chicken and egg argument, and there is no one correct answer. QB play is central to success and requires support of the entire offense. One cannot exist without the other.

moklerman

Warner-phile
This was posted over at the Original Herd(not me), but the MPH thing is something I rarely see so I thought it deserved re-posting:

1. Weak Arm Myth - [blogs.ourlads.com]

Austin Davis's arm has looked fine to me. Seems there is consensus going around that he has a 'noodle' arm. Just because he doesn't gun it on every play doesn't mean he has a weak arm, touch and timing is important as well. If Brian Quick comes down with the long pass (which was thrown perfectly) the conversation we're having this week may be slightly different.

Just doing a bit of research, I found a website that tracked the football throwing velocity of quarterbacks who threw over the past few NFL draft combines. Here is how Austin Davis stacks up with the notables (please note some of the top guys i.e. Bradford, Luck don't usually throw). As a disclaimer, some of these guy’s throwing velocity could have improved after a few years in the NFL, so I’m not claiming that Austin Davis has as strong of an arm as Kaepernick per say, but entering the league, not many people heard issues about Kaepernick's arm strength (with his baseball background). This comparison is simply a baseline reference to argue against the weak arm myth.

2012 - Austin Davis - 58 MPH
2014 - Logan Thomas - 60 MPH
2014 - Blake Bortles - 56 MPH
2014 - Jimmy Garoppolo - 56 MPH
2013 - Geno Smith - 55 MPH
2013 - EJ Manuel - 54 MPH
2013 - Michael Glennon - 49 MPH
2012 - Kirk Cousins - 59 MPH
2012 - Brandon Weeden - 59 MPH
2012 - Nick Foles - 57 MPH
2012 - Russell Wilson - 55 MPH
2011 - Colin Kaepernick - 59 MPH
2011 - Andy Dalton - 56 MPH
2011 - Cam Newton - 56 MPH
2008 - Joe Flacco - 55 MPH

Austin Davis matched up well with some notable guys. Hopefully as he continues to play, the weak arm notion will start to go away.

2. Combine Scouting Report - [www.nfl.com]

Second-team All-Conference USA as a Senior, a conference which has surprisingly produced pro-ready quarterbacks over the years. He is a good athlete and an accurate short-intermediate passer. Started a lot of games and has the pocket presence to stand behind an NFL line early in his career. His prospects are hurt by the general elimination of the third-string quarterback in the NFL, and if he is selected on a flier late, will likely need some time to develop on a practice squad.

STRENGTHS: Davis is athletic and systematic in his drop back. Toward the end of his college career, he was hitting a lot of his second and third reads, a good sign when evaluating his NFL-readiness. He will need to show the ability to hit fast NFL receivers in stride on the deep ball, but shouldn't have any problems managing a West Coast offense.

WEAKNESSES: Davis hasn't played in many high-level games. Struggles with his deep ball at times and his arm strength have been a slow, yet steady progression throughout college. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the type of zip on his ball to hit a deep 15-yard out in the NFL.

I’m a huge Sam Bradford fan, but I’m not sure Sam makes some of those throws on that game winning drive on Sunday. It was eye opening to see Davis’s ability to sense the pocket breaking down, step up, and drive into the pocket while making those secondary and tertiary reads then making a smart decision. It is a very small sample size, but I think we might have something in Davis. He could also be a flash in the pan.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will be interesting to see What Fish does if the Kid goes 2-0...

I was thinking that myself.

Let's say Davis starts Sunday (I think he will), does well, Rams beat Dallas and Davis goes 2-0 as the starter.

Fisher is now on record that, if heatlhy, Hill is the starting QB. Period.

Hill should be ready for Philadelphia after the bye.

Fisher will have had two weeks of getitng asked the same question: Why wouldn't you keep starting Davis? He's done well and they are winning under him.

If Fisher remains stubborn on this and Hill struggles in Philadelphia, the QB thing could get very messy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
However, I thought his high rankings in these stats is surprising and interesting. Like I said, only 1.5 games so it's not anything to fawn over yet but I think he's earned another start this weekend.
That's 1.5 games vs 2.0 games for everyone else. OK I like it!!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yet, somehow, the teams that were "built to win" have QBs that play at a higher level.

This is a chicken and egg argument, and there is no one correct answer. QB play is central to success and requires support of the entire offense. One cannot exist without the other.

Let me just say that if Ryan Fitzpatrick had went to the 2013 Seahawks after his initial year as a Ram, that they would had no QB issues. IMO of course. I think he suffered from the 7th round stigma and was only viewed as stop gap. He also came up in the big arm era, which I don't think is viewed as quite as important in some of these offenses being ran now.

Alan

Legend
Dieter the Brock noticing his modus operandi:
Isn't Fitzharvard 2-0, not bad start for the Texans
Tease - To arouse hope, desire or curiosity without affording any ultimate satisfaction.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was perusing PFF and I stumbled upon some interesting stats for Austin Davis. I thought I'd share them with you. Obviously, it's only been 1.5 games for him and the 1 game was against a very vulnerable TB defense so I wouldn't buy too much into them but I do think they're interesting. They definitely lend credence to the theory that we should start Austin Davis against Dallas.

PFF QB Rating - 100.51(#3 in the NFL behind Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)
% of Yards in Air - 71.7%(#1 in the NFL)
Yards Per Attempt - 8.21(#3 in the NFL behind Andy Dalton and Peyton Manning)
Accuracy% - 80.0%(#3 in the NFL behind Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson)
Deep Passing Accuracy% - 85.7%(#1 in the NFL; 25.7% ahead of 2nd place)
Pressure% - 39.7%(6th most in the NFL)
Completion% Under Pressure - 52.9%(10th best in the NFL)

Percentage of Yards in Air bothers me because that means our WRs aren't picking up YAC.

However, I thought his high rankings in these stats is surprising and interesting. Like I said, only 1.5 games so it's not anything to fawn over yet but I think he's earned another start this weekend.

Interesting stuff jrry and thanks for the work, I think he deserves another shot too.

I wouldn't worry about the WR's not getting YAC, they were well covered plenty of times by Bucs defenders and got taken down. Plus I have to give credit the safeties played well and actually broke up one play that could have been a nice gain.

They will get the RAC, its coming.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#3 overall without throwing a TD pass? Wow
Careful what you wish for here fellas, remember that in the 3 games after the Houston game, Fitzharvard only completed 47% of his passes for 467 yards with only 1 TD, 7 INT for a paltry 37 QB rating

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
He simply needs to bring down that ball a little sometime. I don't think he's purposely letting them sail high. needs work on some throwing mechanics
I think the high balls are on purpose to keep the defenders from getting it, and if you watch the game over the side line passes were all back shoulder were they are suppose to be. I give Davis the nod for the Dallas game.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
He did, and I am too, but it appears that a lot of people are missing something. He wasn't going to his 2nd or 3rd option and making great plays. He just wasn't.
Yes he was, watch the game over. The side line pass to Cook for a 1st down was his 3rd option.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
He did, and I am too, but it appears that a lot of people are missing something. He wasn't going to his 2nd or 3rd option and making great plays. He just wasn't.
Yes he was, watch the game over. The side line pass to Cook for a 1st down was his 3rd option.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
There will be some bogus excuse why Hill can't start, don't you worry none about that.

But if Davis shits the bed just watch how fast Hill "recovers" in time to step in and the cover up will continue in to another post game.

Of course if Davis plays well again, going in to the bye, it will make it impossible for Fisher to keep dancing the Texas two step there after.

Give Davis another chance against Dallas. After watching the way he played against a so called mediocre defence, his throws were accurate and were they need to be ! He drove the team out of the end zone twice and got close to the red zone both times and close enough to at least come away with points! And a Win !

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn dieterbrock rain on parades much? LOL......
Or...
Jason Garrett filled in for Dallas for 6 games as starter and they had a 3-3 record, 5 TD/ 3 INT 85 QB rating
Or....
Bulger