Assessing the trade market for RG III

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post?id=24480

Assessing the trade market for RG III

September, 17, 2014
SEP 17 12:56 PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider

Robert Griffin III's dislocated left ankle didn't require surgery but is expected to keep him sidelined for a good chunk of time, and if Kirk Cousins continues to play like he did in Week 2 then Griffin's days in Washington could effectively be over.

What, then, might the Redskins be able to get on the trade market for the No. 2 overall pick in 2012 after Griffin's two-plus injury-plagued seasons? Lets take a look.

Mark Maske wrote about where things currently stand in The Washington Post on Tuesday:

"As those in and around the sport view the Griffin-Cousins dynamic from afar, they see Griffin as a still-gifted but injury-plagued quarterback whose ability to stay in the lineup now must be seriously questioned by the Redskins — or any other team that ultimately might try to obtain him," Maske wrote.

"The unsettled situation in Washington has created the possibility that Griffin may be most valuable to the franchise as a trade asset. And if the Redskins eventually decide to keep Cousins and consider offers to part with Griffin, sources in and around the league say there certainly will be teams interested and willing to surrender something of value for him."

Griffin and Cousins are both under contract through the 2015 season, and the Redskins have a team option on Griffin for 2016, so they don't necessarily need to make a move anytime soon. The decision whether to deal Griffin, who they traded three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis to move up and get on draft day, could ultimately depend on two things:

1. How well Cousins plays as the starter

2. What type of asset(s) the Redskins can fetch for Griffin

If Cousins plays well and Griffin is able to fully overcome his latest injury, there are several teams around the league that could conceivably be interested in RG III. "Look around the league at who’s starting right now," a league executive told The Washington Post. "Josh McCown is a starter. Chad Henne is a starter. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel, Geno Smith, Jake Locker, the kid [rookie Derek Carr] in Oakland, the situation in St. Louis [Austin Davis started last weekend with Sam Bradford and Shaun Hill injured]. You can’t tell me Robert Griffin can’t be a starter somewhere."

Many of those teams listed, however, already have their quarterback of the future waiting in the wings. With that in mind, and this is merely speculation, look for teams like Tampa Bay, St. Louis and Houston to emerge as the likeliest suitors in trade talks for RG III. While the Redskins would likely seek a first-round pick in return, one must believe a second- or third-rounder would probably be more realistic at this point.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'll give a 5th rounder for him. Wouldn't that be the greatest trade in the history of the NFL? We get the player for minimal value anyway.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'll give a packet of wotsits and a used condom.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'll give a 5th rounder for him. Wouldn't that be the greatest trade in the history of the NFL? We get the player for minimal value anyway.
It all depends on how the players turn out that the Rams took. We won the trade, no doubt, but to say it's the greatest trade ever? I wouldn't go that far just yet.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd give a third for him. He has all the physical skills. He just needs to learn how to slide/avoid contact and go through his reads better. The thing that worries me the most about him are the injuries. We've been through that already. I'm not sure I'm ready to go through it again.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It all depends on how the players turn out that the Rams took. We won the trade, no doubt, but to say it's the greatest trade ever? I wouldn't go that far just yet.

Yeah, obviously. It was really more of something that amused me, not to be taken literally.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Is RG3 without his legs even an NFL QB?

To put it simply, no.

Personally I don't even want him on this team. He's a mess and hasn't shown anything impressive in over a year despite having numerous opportunities.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll give a packet of wotsits and a used condom.

I'd Google wotsits since I don't know what they are but they're slightly better than a used condom evidently so I'm afraid pictures and stuff might come up

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't give those bastards anything. We have our own injury riddled QB right now. We don't need another.

…..

Legend
Is RG3 without his legs even an NFL QB?

Is RG3 WITH his legs an NFL QB???? I never thought so.

He is, was, and always will be a gimmick, a trick play, and an insult to Cunningham and earlier Vick years.