Ask 5: Who's the most underrated QB in college football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Louisville's Lamar Jackson has clearly been the most dominant quarterback through the first three weeks of the college football season. I think we can all agree on that one. Who's the most underrated signal-caller in the country? The answer to that question is less obvious. I reached out to five NFL personnel executives to get their opinion on the subject. Here are their answers.

Executive 1:
Shane Buechele, Texas
"I know he's just a freshman but the Texas QB is legit. I love his poise, deep-ball touch and overall feel for the game. He carries himself the right way, too."

Executive 2: Davis Webb, Cal
"I really like Webb at Cal. He's got great size, a strong arm and top-shelf intangibles. His footwork is a little raw and he needs to improve his quickness through progressions but he has a lot to work with."

Executive 3: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech
"I like Falk at Washington State but I'll go with the kid at Texas Tech. He's got a big arm, he's athletic and he has tremendous upside."

Executive 4: Tyler Stewart, Nevada
"Stewart has good size and he's a decent athlete. He's more of a pocket guy. He wasn't a great fit for what they were doing last year. He needs some development but he's worth a pick."

Executive 5: Luke Falk, Washington State
"I think a lot of people sleep on Falk because of the system but I think he's got a real chance to be a starter at the next level. He throws a pretty ball and they rave about his toughness up there. He makes others around him better."

Summary: That's one vote apiece for Buechele, Falk, Mahomes, Stewart and Webb.

Conclusion: I haven't done a lot of tape work on these quarterbacks but I can vouch for Buechele's talent. I watched him live against Notre Dame in Week 1 and I was impressed with his arm talent and poise. He has a bright future. Of the other players mentioned, I'm really intrigued by Webb. Everyone that has been up to Cal has told me he has off-the-charts intangibles and work ethic. I've seen plenty of Mahomes and Falk on TV, and I'm really looking forward to digging into their tape. I don't know much about Stewart. That is a new name for me. He's officially on my list of players to study.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My vote goes to Luke Falk. I'm going to be honest. I mostly only pay attention to Pac-12. But I was very very impressed with Luke Falk. I think he has a future in the NFL. I'm very hyped about that guy.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I think Colorado's Sefo Liafu would be here too if he didnt get hurt. He was lighting up #4 Michigan until he got hurt. I think they would have won had he not gotten injured.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too soon...but I like a bunch of these kids....dude at U of Washington looking good...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I also like a kid from Utah....Played HS ball down here was a stud....Williams...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we could start up the "Over rated QB" thread after the past 2 weeks
1) Josh Rosen
2) DeShone Kizer
3) Josh Dobbs
4) Brad Kaaya

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we could start up the "Over rated QB" thread after the past 2 weeks
1) Josh Rosen
2) DeShone Kizer
3) Josh Dobbs
4) Brad Kaaya

Kizer isn't overrated as far as I've seen. He's stuck in a toxic situation. Confidence is getting destroyed. It's too bad. He's such a talented kid.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kizer isn't overrated as far as I've seen. He's stuck in a toxic situation. Confidence is getting destroyed. It's too bad. He's such a talented kid.
Kizer is suffering from Everett Golson turnover disease. Golson got infected by Tommy Rees who in turn got it from Dayne Crist.
Its the same thing year in and out at ND.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
How's my list looking these days?

As a UCLA fan I dont think Rosen is overrated but UCLA's team as a whole was massively overrated. The O-line makes the Rams O-line look like world beaters. They have the worst rushing offense in the country lol (2.9 ypc). They also are below average pass blocking. They were having to rely on Rosen to literally be the whole offense plus some inexperienced mediocre receivers that drop alot of passes to be the whole offense. UCLA lost its 2 best pass catchers from last year in Thomas Duarte and Jordan Payton. They also lost there best RB Paul Perkins. Id wait another year to call Rosen overrated imo since he was only a true Sophomore. The offense around Rosen was terrible and the O-line was getting him killed (hence why he was out the rest of the year). Mora is also alot like Fisher and is way too conservative at times. Id like to see him fired but I doubt he will be.

spamlord

Rookie
As a UCLA fan I dont think Rosen is overrated but UCLA's team as a whole was massively overrated. The O-line makes the Rams O-line look like world beaters. They have the worst rushing offense in the country lol (2.9 ypc). They also are below average pass blocking. They were having to rely on Rosen to literally be the whole offense plus some inexperienced mediocre receivers that drop alot of passes to be the whole offense. UCLA lost its 2 best pass catchers from last year in Thomas Duarte and Jordan Payton. They also lost there best RB Paul Perkins. Id wait another year to call Rosen overrated imo since he was only a true Sophomore. The offense around Rosen was terrible and the O-line was getting him killed (hence why he was out the rest of the year). Mora is also alot like Fisher and is way too conservative at times. Id like to see him fired but I doubt he will be.
I really like UCLA's Soph Running Back #4 Olorunfunmi. He's got a crappy Oline, but the guy still looks like a solid prospect.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I really like UCLA's Soph Running Back #4 Olorunfunmi. He's got a crappy Oline, but the guy still looks like a solid prospect.

Yeah hes a straight ahead power back whos good for the tough yards. There really hasnt been any holes opening for any of them at all. Jamabo is alright too but they are both bigger power backs. UCLA needs an explosive speed RB to compliment them but I dont see one on the roster atm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kiser going pro
Mistake!
Mike Sanford leaves the Irish to coach WKU
Wow, Brian Kelly may need a miracle to survive next season!