Arian Foster fires back at Anheuser-Busch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
First of all, I can't do anything in only 15 minutes. It takes longer than that for me to get up and get another cup of coffee. :seizure:
Second of all, the daydreaming refers to you wondering what others are thinking instead of keeping your nose to the grindstone and coming up with your own favorite beer. ;)
It's probably not @CGI_Ram as I'm pretty sure he spends all his extra cash on burgers.
It's probably not @PhxRam because he's too cheap to finance DR RAM's new Hot Babe forum.
It's probably not @The Rammer because we know he's spending all his cash on loose women and Pacifico beer.
I'm going to just guess here and say it's my wife because she seems to have money whenever I need it. :)
Loose women are good to!

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
blue4 reading something into what Foster said that may or may not be true:
Foster and others would be better off pointing out that good work than circling the wagons for wife and child beaters.
While I agree with your first two things, I disagree with your third one. I don't disagree with the the thought behind it, I just disagree that he's doing/saying that.

No matter how many times I read what he said (“Selling poison on that high horse,” Foster said on Twitter. “Domestic violence and alcohol damn near synonymous.”), I can't find the part where he's circling the wagons for wife and child beaters. I agree with every word he said and I'm not circling the wagons for wife and child beaters. That is IMO, pure speculation on your part as to his motivations. I'm not sure why you'd assume the worst but I personally think it's a bad idea to read anything into anything said by anybody. You're bound to be wrong at least 50% of the time.

My reading of what he's saying is that they are both heinous.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rammer shocking the whole ROD community:
Loose women are good to!
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: (they're the best kind if they're not in your family.)

Last edited:

AZRamsFan93

I don't much care who the NFL will listen to. Arian Foster owned the crap out of them. Plus, that cliche is wrong too. Having money allows for your BS to talk as well.
Wow, you are even disagreeing with cliches! That is disagreeable! I will nit pick - the $$$ allowing the BS to talk means that the $$$ is doing the talking. Without the $$$ the BS has no chance.

I also don't care much what Arian Foster has to say.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, you are even disagreeing with cliches! That is disagreeable! I will nit pick - the $$$ allowing the BS to talk means that the $$$ is doing the talking. Without the $$$ the BS has no chance.

I also don't care much what Arian Foster has to say.

Then why click on the thread? ;)

I don't think anyone can really disagree with what he said and he put them in their place. Yea, their money talks but what Foster said certainly wasn't BS. What AB said was BS. But, as you said, money talks. AB can be gigantic hypocrites so long as they have the money. Then again, Arian Foster can use his platform as an athlete to point out how laughable their comments are when put in context.

It would be like Philip Morris condemning the NFL for not protecting the health of their players.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
A tad off topic but the thought just occurred to me. When will people begin filing wrongful death lawsuits against the a brewery or distiller as the result of a drunk driving accident an alcohol overdose or some other tragedy that results from someone consuming to much alcohol?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
A tad off topic but the thought just occurred to me. When will people begin filing wrongful death lawsuits against the a brewery or distiller as the result of a drunk driving accident an alcohol overdose or some other tragedy that results from someone consuming to much alcohol?

At present its pretty much impossible because the law takes the view (for pretty sensible reasons of policy) that everyone knows getting drunk aint always the best idea in the world - and that the individual takes the decision to get drunk. Thus any harm that comes as a result of getting drunk was as a result of the decision the person made to consume the alcohol in excess - and not the brewers fault for making the product. In essence, everything is ok in moderation, but if you make the decision to get too drunk then you have to face the consequences.

In some ways its different to tobacco, because for years the tobacco industry hid the long term health effects that smoking caused, and obfuscated and denigrated any reports or scientists who dared talk out. So they got people hooked without those people knowing what harm they were doing to themselves.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Because they're literally selling a product that serves no purpose but to mess with the human body, it kills brain cells, it fucks up livers and many other countless health problem. At this point you're saying, that's not fair, they don't make people drink too much. In that same vein though, the NFL doesn't make it's players douchebags, no more than they make the choir boys choir boys.It's hypocrisy because they're calling out others for being a detriment while they themselves have been selling a poison for years. It's a throwing stones in glass houses. How can you stand to make am moral high ground when you're selling swill that's killed drinkers and nondrinkers alike?
Beef messes with your health too. Do farmers also not get an opinion? Winemakers also no opinion? How about plastic manufacturers? The NFL doesn't make them do anything, but as their employer they can choose to discipline them. And AB or any other company should be able to comment.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
While I appreciate Arian Foster pointing out AB's hypocrisy... and that's what it is on one level...

It misses the point.

The point is that if a core sponsor... a sponsor that is as much a part of the game as Anheuser Busch is...where their product is sold AT the games, their advertising is IN the stadiums, AROUND the stadiums and tens of millions of Dollar a year in advertising revenue are spent trying to reach NFL fans... then the NFL has a SPONSOR problem.

And it really doesn't matter if they sell beer or yoga pants. The bottom line is that one of the biggest sponsors of the NFL just warned them that they'd better get their house in order because this isn't tenable.

If AB pulls its advertising (they won't pull the beer and likely would cite contractual obligations), that could cost the league millions, even if they only pull it for a few weeks.

The fact that all of this is about a moral issue (in this case, domestic violence) isn't really the point. The point is that all of this pressure has brought a MAJOR sponsor to the point of publicly putting the league on notice. Publicly. Corporations generally don't do that. Normally, this would be handled internally, especially when it comes to entities like the NFL. For this to be made public, this was also for the customers of AB to make clear where AB stands. Which is pretty simple, "have a beer. Drink responsibly." They don't want to be associated with this behavior, long term. Certainly not so publicly. So, unless Goodell or the next Commish does something about it, sponsors will look to other venues.

And trust me... it won't take 100 more stories of Domestic Violence with video and pictures of beaten kids like in the Peterson case for fans and big sponsors to not just walk away, but RUN away. Heck, in Minnesota, the Wilf Family has to be crapping kittens. Without AP, that team is a lottery team and they just got a new stadium. They can't do a reverse Herschel Walker trade and they can't cut him and they're going to eat a MASSIVE amount of crap for playing him because those photos are what they are...

As dedicated fans, this is a big concern. We know most players aren't like this and these few bad apples are going to ruin the game we cherish.

THIS. IS. WHY. This is why we must have a new Commissioner more in the mold of Adam Silver who will bring decisiveness, integrity and transparency to the position for the NFL.

Because without it, we're just looking at more of....this. And really, how fun has this been? Turn on football and we get every color commentator giving us his take on the latest disgusting failure in the NFL rather than his take on...well, football.

If we want to get back to football (and I think we all DO) while at the same time NOT saying in any way that the issue of Domestic Violence should go away or is unimportant or shouldn't change in this country (because, like Small Pox, Domestic Violence needs to be eradicated and that's going to take a massive cultural change including significant changes in law as well as how the law is enforced and adjudicated), then we can't ignore the obvious. And that's this: this issue isn't going away.

It's just...not. And every knucklehead...like the 2nd string RB from AZ who just got popped for Domestic Violence tonight will just add gasoline to the bonfire. Worse, because Goodell screwed up the Rice suspension, a neutral arbitrator will likely overturn the 1 year suspension and reduce it something like 6 games or even less "based on precedent". And since Goodell set the crappiest, most lenient precedents, the arbitrator won't have much choice. The NFLPA, which has to do this, is stuck with this bag of poo of a case, will "win" if only in the case that they will prevent this Commish and any future ones from setting a precedent of "double jeopardy". Great. Thanks Goodell.

Which is why a major sponsor saying something NOW is important. Because if guys keep beating women and getting relatively light sentences and Ray Rice plays this year... well, it's important for the OWNERS to know that there will be consequences.

And it won't be picketers who weren't going to the game, anyway. It's major sponsors who will have other major sports that are growing like NASCAR, MLB and the NBA as well as a growing MLS vying for any dollars the NFL loses.

They can fire Goodell now or they can continue to let him spray the fire with a squirt gun and hope it doesn't get out of control. I'm just sayin' that's probably not such a good plan.

Just sayin'

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The people committing the crimes are responsible. Alcohol impairs judgement, but the people are still to blame.
I've made many, many mistakes in my younger days under the influence, but I was still responsible for my actions.

The next time one of us starts a thread on what we are drinking while watching the game I guess we are all just as hypocritical if these are the parallels we are going to draw.

:cheers: These damn smileys are about to go home and beat their children and wives, they're drinking a beer!

Oh what that? Adrian Peterson beat his child and Ray Rice beat his wife? Yes, let's deflect from that and go after a sponsor that says they don't condone that. Good for you Arian Foster! That poor Adrian Peterson needs your support.

If the sponsor is not to blame for the domestic violence actions of individuals, then how is the NFL to blame for the same actions of individuals? Of course Goodell could handle punishment much more effectively but it was an unfair shot to the NFL as a whole when this sponsor was pointing a finger that isn't quite clean themselves in that respect. Arian Foster did the right thing by standing up against yet another carrier of an uneducated public push.

AZRamsFan93

Then why click on the thread? ;)

I don't think anyone can really disagree with what he said and he put them in their place. Yea, their money talks but what Foster said certainly wasn't BS. What AB said was BS. But, as you said, money talks. AB can be gigantic hypocrites so long as they have the money. Then again, Arian Foster can use his platform as an athlete to point out how laughable their comments are when put in context.

It would be like Philip Morris condemning the NFL for not protecting the health of their players.
Thanks for declaring what "anyone" can or can't disagree with. Actually, I completely disagree with Foster. Selling beer does not cause alcoholism anymore than selling cars causes reckless driving. Saying Foster "put them in their place" is laughable. I sincerely doubt that AB is rethinking any of their positions based upon what Foster said.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for declaring what "anyone" can or can't disagree with. Actually, I completely disagree with Foster. Selling beer does not cause alcoholism anymore than selling cars causes reckless driving. Saying Foster "put them in their place" is laughable. I sincerely doubt that AB is rethinking any of their positions based upon what Foster said.

Well, if we're inferring that sort of link...selling cars does cause reckless driving because without any cars being sold, there wouldn't any cars to drive recklessly.

But you're also missing the important difference. Cars have nothing in them that inherently can cause reckless driving. That's a choice made by the person driving it. Alcohol has chemicals in it that can cause dependency.

I think if you argued that selling cigarettes causes health problems, you'd be justified in that argument...and that's a more applicable analogy to alcohol than cars.

AZRamsFan93

Well, if we're inferring that sort of link...selling cars does cause reckless driving because without any cars being sold, there wouldn't any cars to drive recklessly.

But you're also missing the important difference. Cars have nothing in them that inherently can cause reckless driving. That's a choice made by the person driving it. Alcohol has chemicals in it that can cause dependency.

I think if you argued that selling cigarettes causes health problems, you'd be justified in that argument...and that's a more applicable analogy to alcohol than cars.
Of course cars inherently have things that can cause reckless driving. Why do they sell cars that will go 150mph? Where is there a speed limit that high? See the link?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course cars inherently have things that can cause reckless driving. Why do they sell cars that will go 150mph? Where is there a speed limit that high? See the link?

Nope. Still not an analogous situation. There's no such thing as reckless driving dependency. There's nothing in the car that forces/influences you to the extent that chemical dependency does with alcohol. Cigarettes are analogous. Cars? You're reaching. Driving recklessly is a choice. Do you believe being an alcoholic is a choice?

AZRamsFan93

Nope. Still not an analogous situation. There's no such thing as reckless driving dependency. There's nothing in the car that forces/influences you to the extent that chemical dependency does with alcohol. Cigarettes are analogous. Cars? You're reaching. Driving recklessly is a choice. Do you believe being an alcoholic is a choice?
Absolutely. Drinking is a choice. How do alcoholics recover? They choose to stop drinking.