Arian Foster fires back at Anheuser-Busch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/16/arian-foster-fires-back-at-anheuser-busch/
"On Tuesday, billion-dollar beer company Anheuser-Busch fired a shot across the bow at the NFL for its current domestic violence problem. One of the NFL’s employees has fired back.

“We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season,” Anheuser-Busch said in a statement. “We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league.”

Texans running back Arian Foster thinks Anheuser-Busch is being a tad hypocritical.

Selling poison on that high horse,” Foster said on Twitter. “Domestic violence and alcohol damn near synonymous.”

While drinking doesn’t cause domestic violence, the impaired brain function from excessive alcohol consumption can lead to all sorts of problems. Ray Rice, for example, was reportedly intoxicated on the night he knocked out his then-fiancée, now wife. (She reportedly was, too.)

The broader point is that the companies that sell alcohol, which leads to a wide array of unfortunate behaviors, may not have the best standing to preach about a “moral code.” Beer companies simply want to sell as much beer as they can, even if it means that too many people are drinking too much of it.

They tell you to drink responsibly in the fine print. The overriding message is drink. And if the drink contributes to a decision to do something you shouldn’t, well, you’re on your own, Sparky."

I totally agree with Foster and the writer. Of course I'm also glad Anheuser-Busch is doing it even if it is hypocritical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing more can be said. Foster shut them up.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/16/arian-foster-fires-back-at-anheuser-busch/
"On Tuesday, billion-dollar beer company Anheuser-Busch fired a shot across the bow at the NFL for its current domestic violence problem. One of the NFL’s employees has fired back.

“We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season,” Anheuser-Busch said in a statement. “We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league.”

Texans running back Arian Foster thinks Anheuser-Busch is being a tad hypocritical.

Selling poison on that high horse,” Foster said on Twitter. “Domestic violence and alcohol damn near synonymous.”

While drinking doesn’t cause domestic violence, the impaired brain function from excessive alcohol consumption can lead to all sorts of problems. Ray Rice, for example, was reportedly intoxicated on the night he knocked out his then-fiancée, now wife. (She reportedly was, too.)

The broader point is that the companies that sell alcohol, which leads to a wide array of unfortunate behaviors, may not have the best standing to preach about a “moral code.” Beer companies simply want to sell as much beer as they can, even if it means that too many people are drinking too much of it.

They tell you to drink responsibly in the fine print. The overriding message is drink. And if the drink contributes to a decision to do something you shouldn’t, well, you’re on your own, Sparky."

I totally agree with Foster and the writer. Of course I'm also glad Anheuser-Busch is doing it even if it is hypocritical.

There's a "Foster" in Adrian Foster. Which means he's an Australian sympathizer. Which is why he doesn't support American beer.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love it, and was thinking to myself what moral code are they talking about?? There are thousands of companies that make beer and no offense but Budweiser is not really a very good beer IMO.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Foster is not ONLY right ,it brings up the larger point as to whether enticement / advertising known to be addictive substances doesn't have intrinsically illegal properties.

While I am against prohibition, I do believe it's at least borderline criminal to match the cumulative intellect of Madison avenue against the inhibition of the individual when it comes to potentially self destructive choices.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
blackbart liking Bud:
Budweiser really very good beer IMO.
Gag!
Here's the good stuff!
upload_2014-9-16_22-57-46.jpeg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Foster is not ONLY right ,it brings up the larger point as to whether enticement / advertising known to be addictive substances doesn't have intrinsically illegal properties.

While I am against prohibition, I do believe it's at least borderline criminal to match the cumulative intellect of Madison avenue against the inhibition of the individual when it comes to potentially self destructive choices.

I doubt it's intelligence that's at the heart of Madison Avenue.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Would it look better for AB to continue to support the league? Regardless if they are alcohol related I don't think their statement is any different than any other sponsor. Perhaps Arian Foster should draw some parallels to Nike's use of sweatshops.

I get his point...but I also think it is deflection from the true issue at hand.

Alan

Legend
Sum1 with his view:
Perhaps Arian Foster should draw some parallels to Nike's use of sweatshops.

I get his point...but I also think it is deflection from the true issue at hand.
I'm not sure you're getting his point because the comparison to the sweatshops isn't fair IMO. I think Foster's main point had to do with the hypocrisy. Foster, regardless of who his sponsers are, wasn't being hypocritical.

It also didn't deflect from the main issue for me because he compared it to domestic violence and thus kept my eye on the ball. But of course that's just my personal response to what he said.

Last edited:

iced

Buy our product, but don't consume it and let us profit off it!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Would it look better for AB to continue to support the league? Regardless if they are alcohol related I don't think their statement is any different than any other sponsor. Perhaps Arian Foster should draw some parallels to Nike's use of sweatshops.

There are multiple issues "at hand" ,issues are not in short supply and deserve to be brought forth not the least of which is whether a company that trades in a product that produces a myriad of social ills has the moral standing to evaluate the behavior of the league when they sponsor SOOO many concerts of "music artists" who glorify not just violence against women but nearly every social ill imaginable.

Athos

Legend
Hypocritical or not, I don't care. Whoever has the balls to threaten and or drop the NFL sponsorship gets a reprieve from my hate for the day.

Bud, Busch, etc, all the piss water....all sucks by the by.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I wonder what his thoughts are on Nike, Ford, and Geico.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I doubt it's intelligence that's at the heart of Madison Avenue.
Make no mistake it's intelligence,focus group research ,resources that have enormous manipulative power that overcomes human resistance in such predictable ways it's hard to not consider it criminal Goebbels was an amateur compared to these folks.

Alan

Legend
CodeMonkey daydreaming:
I wonder what his thoughts are on Nike, Ford, and Geico.
I don't know about Foster but I like the gecko.
upload_2014-9-16_23-38-4.jpeg