Are the St. Louis Rams too young to be considered true contenders?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think we're legit. We finally have a qb . Foles is clearly a upgrade over what we've had. Even without Gurley o feel we still have a damn good RB. I feel our receivers are better then most think and will show now that we have a qb. Don't think defense will start off slow and this season

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think we're legit. We finally have a qb . Foles is clearly a upgrade over what we've had. Even without Gurley o feel we still have a damn good RB. I feel our receivers are better then most think and will show now that we have a qb. Don't think defense will start off slow and this season

I think the defense has to start strong. Another slow start would likely mean another struggle to reach 7 wins. I don't like the idea of starting against the Seahawks, but its at home and the best time to catch a team like that is early in the season. But we can't start out 1-3 or 2-5 if we think we're a legit playoff contender.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
9-7 if the line gels fast and the team gets out of the gate strong with a win over the Hags. Foles needs to play closer to the '13 version as well. With Gurley possible later in the year, Palmers likely slow down and SF's skid, I see this team sniff the WC playoffs.
If the relocation mess doesn't derail the whole night train.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Team player youth is no longer an acceptable excuse, if you ask me.

Acquiring Foles was the key. Even the '14 version of Foles would be light years ahead of our 2nd and 3rd string QB's of last year. Remember, Foles was 6-2 while "struggling" last year!

How many times were we seeing open receivers deep last year that our QB's either didn't see or knew they couldn't make the throw? Well, we won't see much of that anymore.

Then there's the improved OL. Sure, it has to gel. But compared to Wells and Joseph last year? Not to mention both Saffold and GRob were forced to play through injuries? I don't think it's a stretch to think this year's version will be a big improvement.

Bailey available for all 16 games. Hopefully, Quick, as well.

Gurley and Mason in the backfield.

GW's fully assimilated D plus the addition of Fairley and Ayers for all 16 games. Wow!

Coach Fassel's dynamic ST contributions.

Nope, team youth is no longer a disadvantage. It's a team strength, if you ask me.

I see a playoff caliber final 53 roster. One that no team will want to play.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Excuse is not really the right word in my view. There have been reasons why this team has been sub par the last few years and yes starting a ton of 22, 23, & 24 year olds, at key positions, has been a reason for inconsistent play.

However, even with that fact, the biggest issue has been that this team has started a 2nd or 3rd string QB in 25 of their last 32 games. Everyone wants to cannonize Bruce Arians yet last year he went 5-6 without Carson Palmer at QB.

Two years ago the Pack went 8-7-1 and were unable to win games without Rogers at QB. You need a capable QB to compete in the NFL and hopefully the Rams have that along with stability at the position.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our players may be relatively inexperienced, but our coaches sure as hell aren't.

I'll bet our collective coaching staff is among the highest in NFL coaching experience.

Man, that's gotta count for a bunch, don't you think?
Well, yes... it's of paramount importance that they coach these kids up well.

Like @-X- said, this regime likes athletes. These athletes might not be the brightest bulbs in the pack, so they need coaching... lots of it and lots of repetition.

nighttrain

Legend
9-7 if the line gels fast and the team gets out of the gate strong with a win over the Hags. Foles needs to play closer to the '13 version as well. With Gurley possible later in the year, Palmers likely slow down and SF's skid, I see this team sniff the WC playoffs.
If the relocation mess doesn't derail the whole night train.
wont happen, the players will play, they have to for their next contract
train

RamWoodie

Legend
It comes down to youth and discipline because youth is not a bad thing if you have discipline to go with it.

Take a player like Jenkins...very talented and instinctive. He's one of my favorite players...BUT...he needs discipline to be great. Add discipline to Jenkins and you have a great CB! If Jenkins learns to not bite on fakes and double moves, he's a pro-bowler! Look at what the guy does when he simply plays sound fundamental CB.

If discipline comes to each player and their commited to each other, the Rams are simply tough to beat.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5/29/8690051/st-louis-rams-top-5-players-25-or-younger

St. Louis Rams: Top 5 Players 25 or Younger
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB

A little over a week ago, Fox Sports listed their Top 25 NFL players at 25 years old or younger. The St. Louis Rams - the league’s annual young bunch - had two players make the list. It may come as no surprise, but both of them earned a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2014...

...hard to argue. Robert Quinn may very well be the best 4-3 defensive end in the game, and Aaron Donald didn’t miss a step in his jump from college to the NFL. He consistently dwelled in the opposition’s backfield, and his dominant play earned him Rookie of the Year honors.

After that, though, rounding out the Top 5 for the Rams gets a bit murky. And that’s where I need your help. According to the Rams’ official website, they have 28 players that are 26+ years old. They have 62 players that are 25 or under.

So, you’ll be the judge.

A Few Options

Johnny Hekker - He’s the only other Ram to have gone to a Pro Bowl [2013]. He’s started every game as the Rams’ punter since being [un]drafted in 2012. In an oft unappreciated position, Hekker’s ability to pin opponents deep should not be underestimated.

Trumaine Johnson - Another 2012 pick [3rd round], Tru has played in 41 games in his first three seasons in the league; yet only started in 20. He’s recorded 8 INT’s and a pick-six against Matt Schaub [who hasn’t?]. He’s also forced one fumble.

Tavon Austin - Austin has the speed, and ability, to change the game in the blink of an eye. He’s Rams’ most dynamic weapon, but there's much discussion surrounding whether or not he was properly utilized in Brian Schottenheimer’s offense. He’s recorded 4 receiving touchdowns, 3 rushing touchdowns, and 2 punt return touchdowns since being drafted in 2013. One need look no further than the 2013 matchup vs. Colts, where he tallied 314 all-purpose yards, to see the potential.

Alec Ogletree - Ogletree is, at this point, the best linebacker on the Rams’ roster. The "most tackles" accolade seemed like an annual gimme for MLB James Laurinaitis until 2013 when Tree was drafted. He’s lead the team in tackles [117 and 111, respectively] ever since. He’s also racked up three INT’s; one a 98-yard pick six against T.J. Yates in his rookie year.

Greg Robinson - He may [or may not] have been a Top 5 player last year, but the Rams certainly need him to be in 2015. Playing left tackle on an offensive line riddled with new faces, he’ll need to live up to his draft status [2nd overall from 2014]. With former No. 1 pick Sam Bradford in Philly, G-Rob joins Chris Long as the highest drafted player on the squad.

Tre Mason - Mason, a 3rd round pick from 2014, earned the starting job at running back prior to the onset of his rookie campaign. He rushed for 765 yards in 12 games, scoring four times. He also hauled in 148 receiving yards and another score. That said, the Rams drafted Todd Gurley 10th overall in the 2015 NFL Draft, and that may mean playing second fiddle in the upcoming year.

E.J. Gaines - Many deemed Gaines the "steal" of the 2014 NFL draft for the Rams. A 6th round selection, Gaines consistently showed up on Sundays and looks to be in line for the CB2 spot for the 2015 season. He may very well be the best cornerback on the roster. We’ll find out soon enough.

Others who may garner attention: Michael Brockers, Mark Barron,T.J. McDonald, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey

Rookies: Todd Gurley. That is all
So tell me...who are the Rams’ 3rd, 4th, and 5th best youngsters?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still have to wonder if that O-line is going to be ready though. Lotta inexperience there.

Robinson, Brown, and Havenstein are almost as young as it gets for day 1 starters. But that is only a massive concern if we are looking to air it out a ton. It's quite the opposite as we all know.

Keep in mind that article is only counting the projected offensive starters. And only starters at that it doesn't account for backup, defense and we don't know who it's calculating as starters. One interesting part is it is counting Gurley as the starter not Mason and we don't know what that'll be for the opener(yes it's only 1 year).

nother thing I hate to think about is if we picked a bust in one or two of the linemen we drafted. We all know how big of a crapshoot the draft can be. We will have at minimum 2 rookie starters, a first time full time C starter, and a LT who is still going to be a little bit raw.

No I don't think so I think this team is ready to dominate the league we just needed a reliable Qb and better O-line.And it might take a few games to gel but they are very close and after the last decade I can't wait to enjoy every minute of it.
All you guys raise great concerns... I offer you...
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/05/29/w...f/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
So many of us anti-Koolaid drinking Old fans that have seen 4-5 decades of OUR Rams , just can't resist taking a sip this year with so much hope and we have had our HOPES crushed so many times before yet this time the youngens and depth of competition and not counting on any wounded vets at key spots is a breath of fresh air.

We have plenty high drafted talent playing their contract years. Hopefully more inspired than Barksdale was in his last season. Yes we have some returning from offseason surgeries and a major Stud RB in Gurley will hold all of our attention thru camp and beyond as this true NFL Stallion will finally be let out of the barn and hopefully not in desperation.

GW has prettymuch gotten his way and I see our guys picking up his super unique "D" and he could be the mike martz of our team yet on the "D" instead. Just love his packages that only a team playing hurry-up can try to stop his freedom to cause havoc for each team played. I'd like to see a better run stopping "D" as his highest upgrade. Don't know how Fairley will add to that. Ayers will have to be used in stunts that finally get there where JL may have lost a step. (Don't jump me please,love his effort). As Tree has led the team in tackles two years straight i see him just getting better and with his size he can be moved ANYWHERE GW wants to play him. I think he still needs to upgrade his pass"D" in coverage and think Barron and the other SS packages will work in coverage. Just hope the run tackling is there.

One of our two CB's in their contract year MUST step up and be a solid starter we can count on. This is bigtime this season. Just as our offense must show us something we never saw under our last OC. We have so much depth in coaching minds on the offensive side and I remember our World Championship season we had a shared coaching system on defense that worked well for only one season under coach Vermeil. It turns out the same style was the best Fisher saw for this years Offense. Trust me guys we are gonna throw the ball well in certain sets and we don't want to be scouted too early and figured out too soon.

Our new OC is a very highly detailed guy who I can't wait to finally see some adjustments either made on the fly or at least by Halftime. I just never saw big changes last year after halftime and certainly not on the fly. We have too many heads in Cignetti, Boras, Weinke, Garcia and Bou and his asst. not to mention our RB & WR coaches. I see us trying to run just over the amount we will NEED to throw the ball.

Finally "PROTECTION" is the word I can't address till we start getting camp reports and a healthy bunch of refrigerators pushing people around. Gurley also like Mason last year will have the time to learn NFL pass protection and I see an effort to have Harkey possibly Laskey if he surprises and our newly signed TE Hendricks who does a decent job pass blocking. Hope Cig. makes it a real part of our offense and Foles finds him a favorite TE as Everitt loved Holohan . Rams fans have not seen the tight End used as so many other teams like the cheatriots and others use them. ITS DAMN TIME. Plus this would fit our new offense to a "T". Get Tavon his touches and just let Stedman Bailey become ALL HE CAN BE. I see something very special Foles can find in this cat with such hands and his route running may not get great seperation but its at a NFL level and he makes the tough catches if Foles can just get it to the right area. Britt and a healthy Quick will just be gravy and both when healthy can block bigtime.

So lets start the reports of practices and hold nothing back . Unleash the DOGS OF WAR. Iron sharpen Iron . Goodluck coach Boudreau as this is your biggest challenge in your long coaching history . Hope our guys are as smart as we drafted them for. I think that part will be quick in our OL getting 5 to gel and LEAD. Injuries finally stay away and we make playoffs . Burp... hate those Koolaid burps. We do have lots of talent. Don't want to hear the excuse of time I'm hearing Fisher practicing to speak . This was his chosen path and with no vet OL signed (yet) besides Reynolds we should'nt have to hear it. GO RAMS!