Are the Jaguars done with WR Justin Blackmon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Another waste of talent, SMH.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/05/caldwell-hints-that-jaguars-are-done-with-blackmon/

Caldwell hints that Jaguars are done with Blackmon
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2015

blackmon.jpg
Getty Images

Before the 2015 draft, the Jaguars didn’t close the door on receiver Justin Blackmon, the fifth overall pick three years ago. After the 2015 draft, G.M. Dave Caldwell provided a more definitive assessment of Blackmon’s future with the franchise.

Via Hays Carlyon of the Florida Times-Union, Caldwell told Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday that the team’s decision to draft two more receivers should provide an indication of the situation.

The Jaguars added Florida State receiver Rashad Greene in the fifth round, and Monmouth receiver Neal Sterling in the seventh. There’s a chance that one, or both, won’t make the 53-man roster. Regardless, the message via the selection of two receivers is that the Jaguars are no longer holding a spot for Blackmon.

And for good reason. He last played in October 2013, and there’s no indication that he has remained clean long enough to get reinstated. There’s no indication, as recently noted by Big Cat Country, that Blackmon even wants to be reinstated.

It’s another reminder that plenty of those 32 guys about whom draft experts have been raving for the past few months will end up washing out of the league, for one or more of many possible reasons.

Making Blackmon’s situation even more unfortunate is the fact that he doesn’t lack the talent. His brief NFL tenure includes a 236-yard game in November 2012 and 326 total yards in his first two games from his most recent — and quite possibly final — NFL season.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Jaguars sb nation wrote an article about this. Someone here knows Justin Blackmon and said that he doesn't plan to apply for reinstatement. Apparently he's gotten his life together and doesn't want to risk relapsing due to the kind of lifestyle that comes with being an nfl player. If that's the case, then I applaud Blackmon for choosing his wellbeing over money

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If he is reinstated, I'd definitely take a chance on him. We'd have a lot less to lose than the Jaguars as he's basically a sunk cost for them at this point.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What a tool that guy is man. All that talent wasted. Give it to me, I'll put it to good use. And I'll even sign with the Rams for a big discount!!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Coach Fisher, at this point I believe you should take those poor abused glasses of yours, tape them back together, call the Jaguars and thank them profusely for jumping you in 2012. Also extend Brockers' contract while you're at it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
And while I'm thinking of it, look at that 2012 1st round... RG3 - broken. Kalil - broken. Blackmon - too stupid to football. Claiborne - totally worthless through 3 years. Barron - on our team now for a 4 and a 6.

Then go down a little further and you've got such luminaries as Melvin Ingram, Kendall Wright and Brandon Weeden.

Better than 2010, but a rough crop.

Athos

Legend
Such a shame.

Elite talent. But an alcoholic who can't or won't find the help he needs. Not surprising. A lot of alcoholics don't.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Such a shame.

Elite talent. But an alcoholic who can't or won't find the help he needs. Not surprising. A lot of alcoholics don't.
My next door neighbor and (formerly) good friend is a massive alcoholic who, after being in jail/treatment for six months and away from his wife and kids, didn't follow his medication schedule properly, spiraled out of control, ended up headbutting his own wife in front of the police and going back to jail.

It's amazing how the sauce can literally take over someone's life, almost to the point where they're completely unable to control themselves.

Athos

Legend
It's amazing how the sauce can literally take over someone's life, almost to the point where they're completely unable to control themselves.

Not really. Just look at brain imaging when under the influence and how much activity in the brain is suppressed. The body's internal chemical makeup is delicate.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently he's gotten his life together and doesn't want to risk relapsing due to the kind of lifestyle that comes with being an nfl player. If that's the case, then I applaud Blackmon for choosing his wellbeing over money

At the beginning of my alcoholism treatment, this would be 1980, I was told to avoid people, places, and activities that triggered me. In my case that was playing in clubs with bands. After one year off the booze I decided to go back to the clubs.

One night after taking a break I noticed someone had left a glass of whiskey on my amp. I walked away that night and never went back. JB needs to do whatever's best for him. Still a shame.

Not really. Just look at brain imaging when under the influence and how much activity in the brain is suppressed. The body's internal chemical makeup is delicate.

Oh absolutely. My brain had become so drenched in booze that I was the last one to realize how really screwed up I had gotten. The defense mechanisms the brain throws up like a shield to protect you are truly amazing.

Here's a prime example of this from the man himself from May of 2013. You can't make good decisions Justin when your brain is not functioning properly.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tin-blackmon-denies-drinking-problem/2156627/

Justin Blackmon says he doesn't have drinking or drug problem

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Justin Blackmon pinned his problems on his decisions.

Blackmon, suspended the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, acknowledged Monday that he's at a crossroads in his career and his personal life. But the Jacksonville Jaguars receiver insisted he doesn't have an alcohol or substance-abuse problem.

"Out of this whole thing one of the main things I would say that I had a problem with was just making a poor decision, making a selfish decision at that and not thinking about the long term of it and just thinking about at the time," Blackmon said following the team's first organized team activity. "If you want to ask if I have a problem, I have a problem with making a poor decision."

Blackmon has a credibility problem, too.

It was just 11 months ago that that Blackmon apologized for getting arrested on a DUI charge inStillwater, Okla. - tests showed his blood-alcohol content to be three times the legal limit - and vowed that this is "not who I'm going to be."

Blackmon eventually pleaded guilty to aggravated DUI, which put him in the league's substance-abuse program. Although he declined Monday to reveal what triggered his suspension, it's likely he failed a random test.

The former Oklahoma State star and fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft also was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge in Texas in 2010 after officers caught him speeding on a suburban Dallas highway. The charge was later reduced to an underage alcohol possession charge.

Although it sure seems like this is a pattern of behavior, Blackmon said he's "confident" his latest mistake will be his last.

"I don't think anybody wants to be in the position that I'm in right now, and I don't think anybody wants to be in a position that can be any worse," Blackmon said. "I'm not going to go into it and say I want to be in this position because that's not where I want to be. All I can do is come out here and work every day and get better each day. Coach Gus (Bradley) says every day, 'Today is the most important day,' and that's all I can do is come out here every day and try to improve and take care of everything else as it comes."

Blackmon declined comment when asked whether he plans to enroll in a rehabilitation program.

Blackmon, who caught 64 passes for 865 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie, will miss games against Kansas City, Oakland, Seattle and Indianapolis to open the season. He will be eligible to return to practice Monday, Sept. 30. He will be allowed to attend meetings and be inside the facility during the suspension, but can't practice or play.

Blackmon apologized to teammates shortly after the suspension was announced April 30.

"He came across well," veteran center Brad Meester said. "He just apologized for what he did. He knew he was wrong and said it wouldn't happen again. We all accepted that. ... We can't control what people do what they leave here. We can't change what happened in the past. We have to be there for him and help him through this and make sure this doesn't happen again."

Running back Maurice Jones-Drew, though, said reaction to Blackmon's suspension has been "out of control."

"The media just blows it out of proportion," Jones-Drew said. "A lot of people make several mistakes. If you're that age and you have that amount of money, how would you act? If you answer that question truthfully, you can go from there."

Plenty of first-round draft picks, however, go their entire careers without landing in the substance-abuse policy or on the suspended list.

"You have to do the right thing no matter where you are," Meester said. "We're blessed with this opportunity. You'd hate to lose that opportunity because of something dumb you did outside of here. You don't want that to be the reason you can't play this game."

If Blackmon gets another suspension while in the program, it would be for a full season.

"We're going to see what kind of character he has," Jones-Drew said.

Blackmon's four-game hiatus will cost him about$220,000. It also triggered language in his contract that voids future guarantees, meaning the Jaguars could cut him without having to pay about $10 million that remains on a four-year, $18.5 million contract.

Blackmon made it clear he wants to move on from the suspension, but the 23-year-old receiver stopped short of saying he plans to change his lifestyle.

"I've just got to make better decisions," he said. "Like I said, my problem was I made a selfish decision and I apologize for that. I apologized to my teammates and I apologized to my family for it. That's something that I did and I take full responsibility for it."

V3

Hall of Fame
The Jaguars sb nation wrote an article about this. Someone here knows Justin Blackmon and said that he doesn't plan to apply for reinstatement. Apparently he's gotten his life together and doesn't want to risk relapsing due to the kind of lifestyle that comes with being an nfl player. If that's the case, then I applaud Blackmon for choosing his wellbeing over money
Someone on this forum knows Blackmon?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Didn't he come back against us and catch like 7-100+yards? First game? Or was it his first hundred yard game after the suspension?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/04/jaguars-dont-expect-justin-blackmon-to-play-again/

Jaguars don’t expect Justin Blackmon to play again
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 4, 2015

350x-218.jpg
AP

Three years ago the Jaguars used the fifth overall pick in the NFL draft on receiver Justin Blackmon. Now the Jaguars think Blackmon’s career is over.

Jaguars General Manager David Caldwell said today that Blackmon, who has been suspended by the NFL for the last 21 months because of repeated failed drug tests, appears to have decided that he’s not willing to put in the work to get himself back on the field.

“I have not heard anything and I guess I harbor a little bit of hope but realistically I think when you’re away from the game for two-and-a-half years what you were once is not what you probably will be,” Caldwell said. “Your skills do erode and especially if you’re not staying in tip-top shape and you’re not in football shape. I don’t know to expect but I would say common sense would probably be if you haven’t played football in two-and-a-half years apparently that’s not a priority for you.”

That’s a shame. Blackmon has great, great talent. He was a two-time winner of the Biletnikoff Award for the best wide receiver in college football, and he was the first wide receiver ever to win the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year Award. He could have been something special in the NFL.

Instead, Blackmon will be a cautionary tale of a player whose great talent wasn’t enough to overcome his off-field problems.