Are Mega-Trades A Bad Idea In The NFL? –ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I haven't listened to the link but the RG3 trade was a great idea

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Some trades work some don't. I'm glad the Rams traded up for Orlando Pace. The Falcons are probably happy with Julio Jones. I don't see draft day trades ending any time soon. Their definition of a mega trade is a trade to move up in the 1st and 2nd rounds. All the talk of mega trades and no mention of Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Imagine if a GM traded their entire draft away to move up two spots to #4 to take a RB now, theyd be crucified and fired on the spot.

V3

Hall of Fame
Some trades work some don't. I'm glad the Rams traded up for Orlando Pace. The Falcons are probably happy with Julio Jones. I don't see draft day trades ending any time soon. Their definition of a mega trade is a trade to move up in the 1st and 2nd rounds. All the talk of mega trades and no mention of Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams.
The Rams could have stayed where they were and taken HOFer Walter Jones. A big reason the Falcons have been struggling the past couple seasons is because they didn't have a lot of high picks to restock the cupboard. The Walker trade was a great one for one team but that was a long time ago and the NFL has changed quite a bit since then so I really don't even like to include it. The Williams trade was also lopsided.

So I'm not sure if big trades in the first round are ever a great idea for the team giving up all the picks. I personally hate the idea of moving up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The risk with any trades and free agents was once explained on ESPN radio. I don't recall which former player said it but it went like this.

When players are drafted, the initial welcoming to the NFL for the young guys is with their new team. That organization, coaches and players, quickly feels like family. The family feeling is very strong, since they are being taken under the wing of the organization. There is a certain comfort zone that is attained.

When players get traded or sign as free agents that feeling of family is gone and now the player is in the league as more of an individual. Some players struggle with the move as if they were pulled from their family and are slow to adjust to new surroundings. For some the fun is gone and they don't play at their previous level.

My brother was a high school standout and when went to college to play he didn't like it because it wasn't fun for him without his friends. He quit the team and chose a tech school near home. His experience leads me to believe that the same feelings may be true for many other individuals including Pros.

jjab360

Legend
Didn't realize Claiborne (a first and a second for a higher first) was a "mega-trade".

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As long as there are teams that feel desperate, there will be possible Big trades!

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I'd rather be the 1 getting more picks then giving up some.If there's a strong coaching foundation and good scouts that team will get better players instead of rolling the dice on just one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Imagine if a GM traded their entire draft away to move up two spots to #4 to take a RB now, theyd be crucified and fired on the spot.
No doubt. I brought that up when someone was arguing the history of the draft and that you never..... But deaf ears are a pretty useless listening device. Do you wonder where even the likes of ED would go in today's draft?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The risk with any trades and free agents was once explained on ESPN radio. I don't recall which former player said it but it went like this.

When players are drafted, the initial welcoming to the NFL for the young guys is with their new team. That organization, coaches and players, quickly feels like family. The family feeling is very strong, since they are being taken under the wing of the organization. There is a certain comfort zone that is attained.

When players get traded or sign as free agents that feeling of family is gone and now the player is in the league as more of an individual. Some players struggle with the move as if they were pulled from their family and are slow to adjust to new surroundings. For some the fun is gone and they don't play at their previous level.

My brother was a high school standout and when went to college to play he didn't like it because it wasn't fun for him without his friends. He quit the team and chose a tech school near home. His experience leads me to believe that the same feelings may be true for many other individuals including Pros.
Interesting. And it makes a lot of sense. Probably why Hayes took a smaller contract to remain with the Rams. I remember him saying as much but often you wonder if it is just the correct thing to say.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting. And it makes a lot of sense. Probably why Hayes took a smaller contract to remain with the Rams. I remember him saying as much but often you wonder if it is just the correct thing to say.

It makes sense. Some players like Marshall Faulk or Reggie White seem to be unaffected by the move, but people are not the same. I can understand how it would not be a comfortable feeling to pick up and move suddenly and try to melt with a new team.