Apple's iCloud Mania

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
So, I don't really pay attention to the news. And ROD is my Facebook surrogate. So, if I don't hear about something here, then I probably don't hear about it. But a close friend just returned from a trip to visit relatives in Canada and proceeded to tell me all about Apple's latest round of arrogance in some iCloud security breach where lots of nude celeb photo's were released. Anyway, for those seeking a cloud storage replacement for services such as iCloud, Box, or Google Drive, I suggest trying bittorrent's free product...

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

Allows a user to sync and store all of their files (whether on a pc, mac, tablet, or mobile device) on their own storage solutions. So, say I want all of my mobile devices to sync with my desktop computer at home, no problem.

My wife uses it to keep all of our kid's photos downloaded to our home computer, and has turned-off all of Apple's syncing services - we've been using it now for about 6-months.

Anyway, thought some here might be interested.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use space monkey. True story.
But why pay them $49/yr after buying their device? We have a 4TB NAS that sits in a closet and stores everything. Yea, it probably cost approx $600 up front, but there's no ongoing costs.

Bottom line, one can't protect themselves from a security breach. All one can do is make the process of breaching more expensive for the breacher.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Never store anything sensitive on a cloud based storage system. Rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't show people personally, don't store it there, store it on a physical drive instead.

I'm actually surprised celebrities don't hire tech guys to keep them from doing something stupid to put them at risk. They hire food guys, gym guys, money guys, clothes guys, everything but tech guys.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If I were you I wouldn't use any cloud based storage for any personal or important items. Get a nice external HDD and encrypt it. Disconnect it when it's not in use. BOOM, instant security.

I only use google drive to hold on to my old college papers, my resume, and some music albums I've downloaded to transfer then to my phone.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If I were you I wouldn't use any cloud based storage for any personal or important items. Get a nice external HDD and encrypt it. Disconnect it when it's not in use. BOOM, instant security.

I only use google drive to hold on to my old college papers, my resume, and some music albums I've downloaded to transfer then to my phone.

Yup that's the only way to be SURE you're safe. I actually use thumb drives for really important stuff that I don't want anyone to have access to it's a simple cheap method that is fail-proof.

I have stuff on Drive also, and if my account gets hacked and nude pics of me get distributed on the web oh well.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yup that's the only way to be SURE you're safe. I actually use thumb drives for really important stuff that I don't want anyone to have access to it's a simple cheap method that is fail-proof.

I have stuff on Drive also, and if my account gets hacked and nude pics of me get distributed on the web oh well.

Not even the CIA wants to spy on your Drive, Les...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For all of the ibots out there....

iphone-6-nexus-4.jpg