Anyone know anything about the training staff and doctors?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
C. Long's leg has atrophy?
J Long and Bradford retear ACLs
Players are dropping like flies every week

Is there a connection to the strength and condition trainers and doctors on staff with the Rams? I don't know anything about them but it sure seems like this has been a problem at Rams park for a while.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Atrophy is normal when you can't use the muscles. He couldn't put weight on his foot for a while.

lockdnram21

Legend

Is there a connection to the strength and condition trainers and doctors on staff with the Rams? I don't know anything about them but it sure seems like this has been a problem at Rams park for a while.

long has atrophy because his foot was in a cast and couldnt move it. Has nothing to do with trainers

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
long has atrophy because his foot was in a cast and couldnt move it. Has nothing to do with trainers
Yeah I get that is the reason, been in a cast myself but why isn't he farther along in recovery? He was scheduled to be on the field this week so why didn't they have him ready?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah I get that is the reason, been in a cast myself but why isn't he farther along in recovery? He was scheduled to be on the field this week so why didn't they have him ready?
It must have been a fairly serious injury. I think it required surgery.
I've had a few sprains and a broken ankle myself. I never needed surgery on them though. With the break, I removed the cast after 2 weeks and was fine. It on I obviously wasn't anything near what Long has.

lockdnram21

Legend
His ankle must not have been ready. It must have been worse then they thought

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Who had him scheduled to be on the field? I know that the IR designated return list says he could start practicing, but that isn't a very personal schedule if you ask me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Who had him scheduled to be on the field? I know that the IR designated return list says he could start practicing, but that isn't a very personal schedule if you ask me.

From Wagoner "Of players not on the injury report but working back from injury, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that defensive end Chris Long is making progress. Long is eligible to begin practicing this week as part of his injured reserve/designated to return spot, but the Rams aren't rushing him back."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Long is eligible to begin practicing this week as part of his injured reserve/designated to return spot, but the Rams aren't rushing him back."
This^ is all that I need to know at this point in time. And all that needs to be said.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I was concerned about the team doctors as well, but it turns out that both Bradford and Long both decided not to have them perform their surgeries. Instead they went with the much higher-profile Dr. James Andrews (trademark pending).

Maybe we should be more concerned about Andrews and the people advising Bradford and Long.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

absolutely not. players don't just have a specific team doctor they all have to go to. players and especially their agents want to find the right doctor for them. they're free to use whatever doctors they want. and the stregnth and conditioning coaches on the Rams staff are top notch just like every NFL team. these players are walking money bags so every organization will be sure to have top notch guys working with the players.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
absolutely not. players don't just have a specific team doctor they all have to go to. players and especially their agents want to find the right doctor for them. they're free to use whatever doctors they want. and the stregnth and conditioning coaches on the Rams staff are top notch just like every NFL team. these players are walking money bags so every organization will be sure to have top notch guys working with the players.

You would expect that to be true ,but there have been teams that used Drs. and fitness trainers that worked pro bono in order to be able to claim the distinction of NFL team ( insert title) the Caedinals did that back when they were in St.L or so I've heard.
I seriously doubt the Rams are utilizing people that way now and think that we have a skewed view of injury because it has effected our record so adversely.

FWIW the need for a coach to succeed by third year is the key to our current futility ,loading a roster up with older players and cutting developmental players had left us without depth on our roster so when injuries happen the next man up like last Sunday resulted in three rookies playing in the defensive backfield , three of five o-linemen either new to the roster at that position this year or seeing their first ever NFL action, a rookie RB, a guy with 6 NFL starts at QB no wrs with more than 2 years with this team,2 rookie RB's ,2 second year RB's . Being young and talented is great for the future but it doesn't set you up very well for when the injuries hit .

Injuries are such a fact of life in the NFL it has gotten to my overall attitude as to whether being a fan of a team even makes any sense when you can hope and analyze and devote enormous amounts of time arguing posting buying gear and have the whole thing blow up in your face because of a few key injuries .
I'm keeping the faith ,but it aint easy as I'm sure everyone knows ,
I believe this team is going to explode on the league if we get the QB position right which say what you will is the center piece of most every franchise that achieves success in this league and the inability to predict our horrendous lack of the ability to count on that position to be a strength because of the repeated injuries to the player we had so much cap sunk in his contract is something too many people discount when they decide this coaching staff,training staff, strength and,fitness staff, team Drs. might be sub par.

Another poster said earlier that he was certain the season was over when Bradford went down, I think for a time we most all did, then we talked ourselves into thinking Hill would save us ,only to see a guy we were about to cut play well enough the coaches decided would give us a better chance to win and so our beleaguered OC adapted and game planned to such a degree he hid a lot of the kids deficiencies but eventually this league solves you if you don't solve it .

SO we are faced with a decision, really we aren't Stan is, does he stick with the plan in place ,or knee jerk, fire Fisher and hire a new coach who will go one of two ways.
Way 1: clean house start over with "his guys" sort of like Lovie is doing in Tampa providing the excuse that the previous people were incompetent and I had to .
Way 2: stick with the players he inherits and add some of his choosing and have what he inherits be his excuse if he doesn't enjoy success

Either way if we don't give this guy or the next guy the time it takes to develop front line players AND depth we are setting ourselves up for a cycle of futility I'm tired of watching or depend on dumb luck on the injury front and or get lucky choosing the new guy and he goes a third way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen some posters question whether Long and Bradford were rushed back. And now with C Long they are not rushing him back and that is also being questioned?
All I know is that since the NFL reduced the amount of practice time allowed and put the clamps on training camp/pre season, it sure seems like more injuries than ever

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
These questions have all been raised before and IMO Reggie Scott the team trainer is highly regarded and has only been here about five years. As to the strength & conditioning coach Rock Gullickson, he's old school and I'm not sure how much he gets involved in nutrition and yoga as part of the whole package, but he is the guy they have at the combined and IMO if he was not cutting the mustard Fisher would have gone in another direction.

As to the team Doctors I brought that up in a previous post more tongue & cheek because the Raiders physicians failed Saffold and the Rams passed him. But in most cases you need a little luck too and God knows the Rams have had none of that for a long period of time. Now I understand that Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity, but what luck is the Rams have had none of it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
From Wagoner "Of players not on the injury report but working back from injury, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that defensive end Chris Long is making progress. Long is eligible to begin practicing this week as part of his injured reserve/designated to return spot, but the Rams aren't rushing him back."
He is ELIGIBLE based on the league rules..... what does that have to do with his recovery from the surgery? I have not heard one single statement from the Rams, nor from Long himself, quoting any sort of time table for his return.

Same thing with Trumaine Johnson. Just because a guy is cleared to START practicing medically, doesn't mean they are ready for GAME ACTION. For all intents and purposes, when a player is completely inactive for 6 weeks, they are starting over again in terms of getting back into FOOTBALL SHAPE. Why do you think they have training camp in the first place? To get them physically ready. At the very minimum, players who have missed significant time with an injury, especially a leg/ankle/foot injury that prevents them from doing much in terms of conditioning, need at least 2-3 weeks to get back to football shape.

IMO, too many "fans" think that its a simple as strapping it on and get out there as soon as they can practice. That's the perfect formula for further injury.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He is ELIGIBLE based on the league rules..... what does that have to do with his recovery from the surgery? I have not heard one single statement from the Rams, nor from Long himself, quoting any sort of time table for his return.

Same thing with Trumaine Johnson. Just because a guy is cleared to START practicing medically, doesn't mean they are ready for GAME ACTION. For all intents and purposes, when a player is completely inactive for 6 weeks, they are starting over again in terms of getting back into FOOTBALL SHAPE. Why do you think they have training camp in the first place? To get them physically ready. At the very minimum, players who have missed significant time with an injury, especially a leg/ankle/foot injury that prevents them from doing much in terms of conditioning, need at least 2-3 weeks to get back to football shape.

IMO, too many "fans" think that its a simple as strapping it on and get out there as soon as they can practice. That's the perfect formula for further injury.
I question IF he should be on the field because he is a professional athlete, his body is a finely tuned machine that most of us will never understand, he has had 6 weeks to recuperate, and he has shown (95 STRAIGHT GAMES) the ability to be on the field through minor problems all players get.

There are plenty of reasons why he should be ready by now and NOT many other than the year is in the toilet to keep him out. If they were winning he would be there.

Now leaving C Long out of the equation why were Bradford and J Long back in there so quickly after much worse injuries? Has there been a change because they have no chance to win? And why have the Rams had so many injury problem over the last few years?

This question is not just about C Long.

You don't need caps to make a point with me @CoachO (y)

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'm tired of watching or depending on dumb luck on the injury front and or get lucky choosing the new guy and he goes a third way.

It's no coincidence that during our greatest season the OL was virtually intact and the QB played in every regular season game...

One would hope we could have good luck more than once every 15+ years!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I question IF he should be on the field because he is a professional athlete, his body is a finely tuned machine that most of us will never understand, he has had 6 weeks to recuperate, and he has shown (95 STRAIGHT GAMES) the ability to be on the field through minor problems all players get.

There are plenty of reasons why he should be ready by now and NOT many other than the year is in the toilet to keep him out. If they were winning he would be there.

Now leaving C Long out of the equation why were Bradford and J Long back in there so quickly after much worse injuries? Has there been a change because they have no chance to win? And why have the Rams had so many injury problem over the last few years?

This question is not just about C Long.

You don't need caps to make a point with me @CoachO (y)
Finely tuned athlete or not, when he had surgery on what apparently was a pretty serious foot/ankle injury, he is unable to do anything in the time he is recovering. In the meantime, that finely tuned athlete, who trains every day when healthy, will atrophy more than the "normal" weekend warrior.

He has been out of the walking boot for a little less than two weeks. If you think that is enough time, first to get ALL the strength back into his injured leg, AND then once he does in fact get the strength back, be enough time to get back into football game shape, then you and I will agree to disagree.

As far as Bradford and Long, they had MONTHS to rehab an injury that required surgery, and were never in a cast and immobilized for more than 6 weeks. Totally different injuries, so its not even a comparable conversation. For me, that Chris Long has been so durable, and has played thru many minor injuries in the past, just exaggerates the point of seriousness for me as to why he isn't back yet. IMO, you are just looking for something that isn't there.

Last edited: