Any police officers here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Cops are like every other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I live in a small town that can't pay the police a great salary, so the quality reflects that. Also still a lot of the good old boy system in place so if you know somebody "important" you can get a pass on some things. Agree with using your right to remain silent if you are arrested until you have a lawyer present. Unless you have something in writing from the prosecutors office don't agree to any deals. I learned a lot when my 17 year old stepson sat in a car while his friend broke into the friends grandparents house and stole a bunch of stuff. The town detectives asked him to cooperate and they would take care of him, so he told them what happened. He ended up with the same felony as the friend that did the crime.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am all for our rights. And I am all for standing up for them. But you have to use common sense. You are dealing with a person just like yourself with all the everyday problems everyone else has. Plus a job that can get you killed. Its has been my experience that cops can and will do anything they want. Doesn't mean they can make it stick. But it does mean they can make your life a living hell for a while. Maybe ending up sore in places you don't wanta be sore. I liken hassling a cop to pissing in a fan just not to bright a thing to do. But if you must have at it.
Not letting them search your car illegally is not hassling them.
Being a smart ass, being rude or verbally abusive is one thing, saying, "hey, you're not allowed to do that" in a calm, intelligent way is another.
Police are no different than anyone else. Some are cool, some are power drunk dicks. Everyone wants to have a decent day and go home at the end of it.
As for dangerous jobs....yeah, its dangerous. So is truck driving and commercial fishing. Both of those jobs are more dangerous than being a peace officer. I guess the difference there is people that do those jobs don't feel entitled to a parade for doing their job.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
True story.

I got a job with SC Department of Labor and on the VERY DAY that I was to report for orientation, I got a speeding ticket. And oh how I deserved it. I was going 94 in a 70, but I didn't really feel like I was speeding. It's just such a long road with almost nobody on it, and I was passing an 18-wheeler that was going around 80-85. You know how it is when you're behind those things. They could be going 100 and you'd still wanna be in front of them. Suck ass trucks.

But anyway.

I was freaking out. It turns out that if you're adjudicated for going 15 MPH over the speed limit in South Carolina, NORTH Carolina will suspend your license on the spot. Not to mention the fact that I was reporting for a government job that was giving me a State-owned vehicle. That's not going to reflect favorably on my level of responsibility.

So I had no choice but to hire a lawyer. I researched it and found a firm online in SC that had just dozens upon dozens of great reviews and satisfied customers. It seemed like they could do anything. So I gave them $455 to represent me, and they said I didn't even have to be present. This was last week, and I just heard from them yesterday. They said they were able to "negotiate" with the judge and the trooper to get my ticket reduced to 4 (that's FOUR) MPH over the speed limit. No points, no fines, and North Carolina would never even know about it.

What?

Yeah. Seems like the corruption runs DEEP in South Carolina. My wife and I figured that these lawyers have to be giving a C-note to the judge and the cop while keeping a couple hundo for themselves. Because SO MANY people have gotten off of tickets with this firm. And not only that, several people praised them by saying their DUI's were reduced to careless driving. There was like $1000 fee to get it done, but consider the alternative. I mean, I should feel guilty for gaming the system, but I am SO not. Makes me wanna go 140 on this highway next time.

So yeah. That's it.

Its not that at all.

Speeding tickets are significantly reduced all day every day in most every jurisdiction in the nation. Why? Because its called a plea BARGAIN. Otherwise, everyone sits thru a 45 minute trial to determine if the state can prove it.

There is no money passing hands - the only thing the judge and the cop get out of it (besides large chunks of their salaries being paid by the court costs) is that they get a 30 second plea instead of a trial. Your lawyer keeps most of the money. The school district gets some of the fine.

By they way - NC will still know about your 4 over - it just won't hit your insurance if you have had a clean last 3 years. NC will revoke your license for any ticket over 55 mph and over 15 mph over the speed limit - regardless of where you get the ticket.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not letting them search your car illegally is not hassling them.
Being a smart ass, being rude or verbally abusive is one thing, saying, "hey, you're not allowed to do that" in a calm, intelligent way is another.
Police are no different than anyone else. Some are cool, some are power drunk dicks. Everyone wants to have a decent day and go home at the end of it.
As for dangerous jobs....yeah, its dangerous. So is truck driving and commercial fishing. Both of those jobs are more dangerous than being a peace officer. I guess the difference there is people that do those jobs don't feel entitled to a parade for doing their job.
I agree for the most part. I guess its a risk reward thing. And picking your battles. Each situation is different.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Its not that at all.

Speeding tickets are significantly reduced all day every day in most every jurisdiction in the nation. Why? Because its called a plea BARGAIN. Otherwise, everyone sits thru a 45 minute trial to determine if the state can prove it.

There is no money passing hands - the only thing the judge and the cop get out of it (besides large chunks of their salaries being paid by the court costs) is that they get a 30 second plea instead of a trial. Your lawyer keeps most of the money. The school district gets some of the fine.

By they way - NC will still know about your 4 over - it just won't hit your insurance if you have had a clean last 3 years. NC will revoke your license for any ticket over 55 mph and over 15 mph over the speed limit - regardless of where you get the ticket.
Yeah, I considered that too, but there were just SOOOO many 'plea bargains' down there, that it borders on excessive. I mean, I guess they could be that lazy, but man. Even DUI's? I mean, my fine didn't increase or anything either.

Do you live in NC too?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I am all for our rights. And I am all for standing up for them. But you have to use common sense. You are dealing with a person just like yourself with all the everyday problems everyone else has. Plus a job that can get you killed. Its has been my experience that cops can and will do anything they want. Doesn't mean they can make it stick. But it does mean they can make your life a living hell for a while. Maybe ending up sore in places you don't wanta be sore. I liken hassling a cop to pissing in a fan just not to bright a thing to do. But if you must have at it.

Pretty much what I've been saying. Don't be a dick. Work with the officer, not against him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah, I considered that too, but there were just SOOOO many 'plea bargains' down there, that it borders on excessive. I mean, I guess they could be that lazy, but man. Even DUI's? I mean, my fine didn't increase or anything either.

Do you live in NC too?

Yes - I'm in Raleigh and I work as a lawyer defending DWIs, speeding tickets, and other criminal charges.

There are so many cases - 99% of them end in a plea bargain.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes - I'm in Raleigh and I work as a lawyer defending DWIs, speeding tickets, and other criminal charges.

There are so many cases - 99% of them end in a plea bargain.
Cool. Thanks for the info.
I'll hit you up next time I tear through Raleigh and get slapped again. :cool:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Heh, my friend's friend got a parking ticket in LA today due to parking on the curb while he was away. I knew cops were pigs in general but I never thought they would be this stupid

YrCohFZ.jpg

fQZqt4h.jpg

4fFCw02.jpg

This is borderline laughable, California must be desperate.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The cops wouldn't spray paint, so my guess is someone else did and a parking enforcement officer just wrote it. That won't be hard to fight, I wouldn't stress it.