Any cyclists?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I've been getting back into riding over the past year - rode a too-small Specialized Sirrus hybrid for a year, just trading up to a Salsa Vaya 3 touring road bike - and I love it. Once the Vaya is in, I'll be riding 32 miles round-trip to and from work every day.

There's not much better than the feeling of flying that cycling affords.

Anyone else a rider?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No, but I live on a street that is famous for biking thanks to Lance Armstrong who used to live off Hamilton Pool road (or may still own the ranch, not sure)
But my road - Fitzhugh in dripping springs - gets tons of bikers
This area where I live seems to be a destination point for bikes / everyday if I'm in the front pasture by the highway you'll see 6 to 10 guys and gals riding ten speeds (or whatever they are called) up and down my road

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's one hell of a commute.
16 miles in the AM, gets the blood pumping. Another 16 in the PM, makes me desperately want ten pounds of food and three beers.

All in all a good day every day.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
16 miles in the AM, gets the blood pumping. Another 16 in the PM, makes me desperately want ten pounds of food and three beers.

All in all a good day every day.
Hope you live somewhere where it's flat.................lol

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The wife and I are casual bike riders , we have some really nice trails around the lakes here and we'll going riding every now and then , we own a couple GMC Denali's , nothing fancy , but fit our needs just fine

I don't know if you've ever heard of RAGBRAI , I believe it's billed as the largest , non competitive bicycle event in the world , it's a 7 day bicycle ride across the state of Iowa , they take a different route every year , you start out in some town along the Missouri River , then 7 days later you end up in some town along the Mississippi River , last year it went right through my home town , and they estimated just over 30,000 bicycles rode through town , every town it passes though has entertainment set up , and beer tents , plenty of beer tents , it's basically a none stop party for 7 days , and which ever town they spend the night in always has huge concerts and stuff ,

Here's a video and a couple pictures of RAGBRAI coming through my town last summer , so if there are any bicycle enthusiast out there looking for something to do at the end of July , come to Iowa and join the 30,000 other bicycle enthusiast's as they party their way across the state for 7 days

R63_zpsmuy2bmpt.jpg

R64_zpsu7ttaiyl.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wouldn't mind biking to work if I had more time, it'd take about an hour, only about 7 miles. Of course there's hills which would suck, but it'd be good exercise and I could use it. My knees are pretty shot from the military and years of hockey. Problem is I'm at school so much, I typically have to go straight to work afterwards. Plus on the weekends I have to be there at 7, so I don't want to be getting up at 5.

One day when the situation is better.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
11155083_10152752834116143_6302994568869245656_o.jpg

Glacier National Park will make you feel small in the best way... And plenty of places to cycle! But beware of the Bears!

495501415_640.jpg

082ffc85564202ef6e779d1f93b7b435.jpg

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I used to ride about 300 miles a week on my Bob Jackson with full Shimano Dura-Ace. That was quite a while ago, tho.

Haven't ridden like that in 24 years...damn, has it been that long? Used to train triathlon before I joined the Navy and that was '91.

Agree about the flying. I used to get into a trance like state and would just... fly. Would come to maybe an hour later or more going 20+ mph feeling refreshed and relaxed as if I'd just gotten up from a nap and I'd travelled more than 20 miles.

Training for me was my meditation. I used to love cycling. I really did. Dunno how I'd do in Florida. The drivers really are the worst in the country... my youngest daughter put it very well. "if they walked down the street like they drove, they'd be arrested for sexual assault." Drivers here are just crazy. And the weather here changes every few minutes and I like riding in the rain, but Central Florida is the lightning capital of the world and I'm in no rush to be struck. I've been really close to a few lightning strikes and they....ooof, lemme tell ya, it defies description.

That said, if I found a cycling club and had the money to get a new bike (my Bob Jackson is made for someone about 80 lbs lighter... me 24 years ago... I was 160 lbs at 6'1" then), I'd seriously consider getting back into it.

There's something very cool about riding to work, too. The brain chemistry is so much better for most of the day and after so much vigorous activity, getting started isn't an issue.

Do you have a favorite bike?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I knew I had this somewhere. A friend of mine was biking, with some others, through Yellowstone Park last year when they ran into a Good Ol' Fashion Montana Traffic Jam.
MT Traffic Jam 2014.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I've been getting back into riding over the past year - rode a too-small Specialized Sirrus hybrid for a year, just trading up to a Salsa Vaya 3 touring road bike - and I love it. Once the Vaya is in, I'll be riding 32 miles round-trip to and from work every day.

There's not much better than the feeling of flying that cycling affords.

Anyone else a rider?
I am. You know it's bad when you get bummed out that your job moves closer so you don't get to ride as far

Got a motorcycle too, two wheels every chance I get.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am. You know it's bad when you get bummed out that your job moves closer so you don't get to ride as far

Got a motorcycle too, two wheels every chance I get.
Hah. I'm actually using bikability-from-home as a deciding factor on my current job search. May end up taking a lower-paying job just to not have to drive ever.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Now, I don't wanna brag. But back in the mid 90's when I was about 10, I was the first kid on the block with shocks on the front of his bike. I could take jumps that were 3 bricks high. Lol ahhhh, I was such a little bad ass. It was black with neon green front forks. Wish I could find a pic but I can't.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Pictures can actually ruin a good story

When I was a kid , we lived on one corner of the block and there was a family that lived on the other corner of the block , their still there actually , well , their mom and dad are anyways

And they had three kids , two girls and a boy , the boy was two years older then me , but we hung out together all the time as kids

Well for years , I always told the story that Craig had a Purple Schwinn Stingray and I had a Blue Schwinn Stingray and how we used to go everywhere on those bikes , Craigs was a 5 speed stick shift and mine was a 3 speed stick shift , and just how cool those old Schwinn Stingray's were , that was the bike everyone owned

or I thought , and I told those stories many times

Then............

A couple years ago , I came across this picture of Craig and I ,

I'm the one on the left , and to my surprise , Craig was the one with the Blue Schwinn Stingray , and mine was the Purple one, but the thing was , the closer I looked , I figured out , mine wasn't even a Schwinn Stingray , and after several hours of investigation , it turned out mine was a Ross Barracuda , , even though the Schwinn Stingray was the main bike in those days , there were several imitations , I remember Sears had their Spyder along with others

So after telling those stories of my old Schwinn Stingray hundreds of time , it turns out , I was completely wrong , :whistle:

A couple bad ass biker dudes

bike1_zpsccar9vr4.jpg