Another Loss: Rams Lose Game of Offensive Coordinator Musical Chairs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agree with all that.

That's a question I'll ask Demoff when he comes back too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good offenses. I'm not saying Schotty was elite or anything, but people really need to take a step back and look at what he had to work with.

Mike Martz made lousy offenses respectable even good at times. There seems to be a higher level of understanding how to outsmart defenses, teaching the scheme to players, getting production out of guys like Mike Furrey. Schottenheimer had some good weapons that he failed to make use of or teach the game to or whatever.

The one evidential knock on him though is the inconsistency of using what worked. In the second half of 2013 we saw Tavon used affectively as a wideout running the deep routes. I don't think we saw any of that this year. One game we would see a successful screen play or two and then nothing for three weeks. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to the offense, no identity. I understand that he was working with backup QBs but other teams seem to be able to do that without a huge dropoff and it doesn't necessarily change the entire complexion of the offense. Maybe he just had too many plays and was trying to use them all. But either way I saw instances of success that seemed to be totally abandoned in favor of unsuccessful plays. Schottenheimer didn't seem to have a plan. Or, he was outthinking himself by trying to change it up too much game to game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Martz made lousy offenses respectable even good at times. There seems to be a higher level of understanding how to outsmart defenses, teaching the scheme to players, getting production out of guys like Mike Furrey. Schottenheimer had some good weapons that he failed to make use of or teach the game to or whatever.

The one evidential knock on him though is the inconsistency of using what worked. In the second half of 2013 we saw Tavon used affectively as a wideout running the deep routes. I don't think we saw any of that this year. One game we would see a successful screen play or two and then nothing for three weeks. There seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to the offense, no identity. I understand that he was working with backup QBs but other teams seem to be able to do that without a huge dropoff and it doesn't necessarily change the entire complexion of the offense. Maybe he just had too many plays and was trying to use them all. But either way I saw instances of success that seemed to be totally abandoned in favor of unsuccessful plays. Schottenheimer didn't seem to have a plan. Or, he was outthinking himself by trying to change it up too much game to game.
Yeah, I heard all that before and I still don't subscribe to it. There's no way any of us can definitively say what he could or couldn't do based on watching TV. There's simply too much unknown about what was actually employed but failed, what the defense was allowing, how certain players were performing at the time, etc. If *we* were able to determine what the failings were, then Fisher is an abject moron for letting Schotty do the same thing we saw that wasn't working.

And I swear to Buddha, if one more person says the name Mike Furrey or Jon Kitna in order to prove anything about anyone, I'll take a fucking flamethrower to this place.

upload_2015-1-31_22-24-18.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, I heard all that before and I still don't subscribe to it. There's no way any of us can definitively say what he could or couldn't do based on watching TV. There's simply too much unknown about what was actually employed but failed, what the defense was allowing, how certain players were performing at the time, etc. If *we* were able to determine what the failings were, then Fisher is an abject moron for letting Schotty do the same thing we saw that wasn't working.

And I swear to Buddha, if one more person says the name Mike Furrey or Jon Kitna in order to prove anything about anyone, I'll take a freaking flamethrower to this place.

View attachment 5205

Its not rocket science...........just saying.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Fuck it, make Sam OC. Have him draw up plays during the game, backyard football style. When all else fails, just ask Madden.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
We are waiting for Peyton Manning to announce his retirement and come in as our new OC!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The longer it goes on the more likelihood its gonna be in house. My guess is Boras. But Cignetti might be an option too. Fisher's gonna call the shots anyway. Its his ass. Sink or swim.

One thing to ponder, people think another sub-par season will be the end of Fisher. If fans think the Rams are a lame duck team for 2015 I wouldn't think the seats would be very full. And if there really are a lame duck team, chances are Kroenke doesn't care if they have one more bad season. He'll give Fisher a pass and move everyone to LA and expect better things there. Wouldn't be surprised to see them hover below .500 winning percentage most the year. Maybe another 6 or 7 win season. Enough to keep things from falling apart but not enough to garner a lot of interest.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And I swear to Buddha, if one more person says the name Mike Furrey or Jon Kitna in order to prove anything about anyone, I'll take a freaking flamethrower to this place.

97101-rfg-97-rfg-97101rfg-97-97101s-main-s-main.jpg

I've got my suit ready because it's just a matter of time... LOL