Another good OTA report by Nick Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Finding Rhythm in OTAs

Posted by nickwagoner on June 7, 2013 – 6:42 PM
<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/06/07/rams-finding-rhythm-in-otas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/06/07/ ... m-in-otas/</a>

y8Q1x4M.jpg

- The Rams just wrapped up their sixth Organized Team Activity of the offseason. They’ll return to the practice field on Monday for the final week of the offseason program with four OTAs scheduled for next week (M-Tues.-Thurs.-Fri.).

- Quarterback Sam Bradford discussed the development of the offense at length yesterday, pointing out a few specific things in which he sees improvement, namely the speed of the group as a whole. In past years, it’s been common practice for the defense to be well ahead of the offense at this point in the offseason. The main reason for that is the musical coordinators the offense has dealt with and the time and difficulty that goes into learning a new system seemingly every year.

- But it seems that things are turning for the better, that is if the happenings on the practice field are any indication.

- Here’s what Bradford had to say about the general state of the offense yesterday:

“I think the installs have gone a lot faster,” Bradford said. ”Last year, year one, you really have to start with the basics, with everything. You start with formations. I mean, everything is very simple and then you build your way into third down, red zone, the different situations that you get into during a game. Whereas in year two, we went back and looked at some of the areas we need to be better at and we need to be better on third down. We need to be better in the money zone. So, starting day one we were able to start working on those areas and I think that’s been one of the biggest differences, is just the speed that we’re able to get to different situations.”

- On Friday afternoon, that ability to be a little further along manifested itself into what appeared to be a very strong day for the offense, including a few receivers in particular.

- By now, it’s becoming a familiar refrain that TE Jared Cook is creating havoc all over the field with his combination of size, skill and athleticism. He continued that Friday. But others also flashed their potential.

- Perhaps heading that list is WR Austin Pettis, who may be the forgotten man in the receiver room but probably shouldn’t be. Coach Jeff Fisher mentioned Pettis’ strong offseason yesterday and that work was on display Friday. He worked all over the field and had one terrific catch on a jump ball near the back line in the end zone against Quinton Pointer for an acrobatic touchdown grab.

- Spoke to Pettis after the practice and it’s worth noting that he’s really taking on the role of leader for the young receiver group. As strange as it sounds, Pettis is the “grizzled” veteran of the receiver group in only his third season. But he’s taking that role seriously. He took Chris Givens and Brian Quick with him to California earlier in the offseason to try to show them the right way to do things and how to be a professional.

- It seems those lessons are paying off. Givens was solid again, flashing some of the intermediate route running skills he’s been working on Friday but it may have been Quick who actually stole the show on Friday. Quick made catches of all kinds, including some difficult ones in the red zone and one deep ball that would have gone for a long touchdown.

- Tavon Austin continues to look good but never better than he did as he elevated and made a diving catch with a DB draped on his back for a touchdown in red zone work. Impressive grab on a ball out of his normal catch radius.

- On the other side, one play by the defense stood out in particular and it was another rookie doing the work. This time in the form of CB Brandon McGee. Matched up in one on one drills in the red zone, McGee came up in press coverage against WR Nick Johnson and dropped a thunderous jam at the line and followed with another strong jab to knock Johnson off the route for an incompletion. It was only one play but McGee showed some impressive physical traits to match his already evident speed.

- It should also be noted that the Rams were working a bit short handed at defensive back with a couple of regulars not participating Friday.

- Some other news and notes we didn’t get to yesterday:

Fisher said the Rams will again take their time in signing their rookie class as they put them through some classes and info on how to manage their money. It’s all part of adjusting to the league:

“We just feel like they’ll be better suited if we can take them through step A and B or financial planning 101 before we give them the money,” Fisher said. “It’s just that simple. We’ll get them all signed and we’re communicating with them. They have a roof over their head and three meals, and they’re doing fine right now.”

Safety Matt Daniels is still working his way back from knee surgery and while he’s making progress, it remains to be seen how far along he’ll be when training camp begins.

“Yes, it will be close, but it’s the ACL thing,” Fisher said. ”He may start off on the PUP, we’ll see, but he’s working. He’s working good right now.”

- That’s going to do it for this week. Some great community events this weekend in the St. Louis area for those wanting to get some time up close to the Rams. Tomorrow is the defensive line’s Paintball Challenge benefiting the St. Patrick Center and the Sack Homelessness Campaign. Sunday is Coach Fisher’s celebrity softball game at GCS Park. Both events will be a great time and benefit charities doing wonderful things so come on out and say hello. Thanks for reading.

nighttrain

Legend
To me at least, great to hear Quick getting some props. thot the guy had never showed. Also last season Pettis in red zone made some very good catches. really like what he did, getting together with Givens, Quick and TO in the off season
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
but it may have been Quick who actually stole the show on Friday. Quick made catches of all kinds, including some difficult ones in the red zone and one deep ball that would have gone for a long touchdown.

Finally - A Quick sighting - and pretty impressive description too. Gotta like THAT.

nighttrain

Legend
RamFan503 said:
but it may have been Quick who actually stole the show on Friday. Quick made catches of all kinds, including some difficult ones in the red zone and one deep ball that would have gone for a long touchdown.

Finally - A Quick sighting - and pretty impressive description too. Gotta like THAT.
:nana: :brava: :bangin:
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:

Shut up. He's was a reach then, he's a bust now, and Snead could have had Cordy Glenn if he knew anything about personnel evaluation.

:doink: :hmph: :pissed: :beating: :ragin: :dangit: :censored:

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Shut up. He's was a reach then, he's a bust now, and Snead could have had Cordy Glenn if he knew anything about personnel evaluation.

oh, Quick doing good making somebody's evaluation look bad :hehe:
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 wrote:

If I remember correctly, he really looked good in practice last year too. I'm gonna wait to see how well he recognizes when he needs to make blitz adjustments and the like in game situations. Sounds great though. :bg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 wrote:

If I remember correctly, he really looked good in practice last year too. [hil]I'm gonna wait to see how well he recognizes when he needs to make blitz adjustments[/hil] and the like in game situations. Sounds great though. :bg:
That's the one variable in which we need to see significant improvement.
Thankfully, a second year in the system and more coaching is the formula for success.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
How are you doing that highlighter thing?
The [hil] button up there.
Select your text and hit that button.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
albefree69 said:

Why are you teaching him new tricks.....don't you realize the risk? You've jeopardized us all.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If Quick plays well this year, along with Givens, and Pettis, then we could afford a little patience with our two rookies. THAT would be awesome. Regarding Quick, he's one fierce looking dude, and if he can play like he looks, holy crap!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
X said:
albefree69 said:

Why are you teaching him new tricks.....don't you realize the risk? You've jeopardized us all.

Too funny. I suspect you're right. Someone hide the emoticons! Though I'm a little annoyed that all he put in the quotes on my last comment was "RamFan503 wrote:" Kinda look forward to his more colorful descriptions of what we write. Is he getting tired already? :lol: Hey old guy. Keep up.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
RamFan503 said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
If Quick plays well this year, along with Givens, and Pettis, then we could afford a little patience with our two rookies. THAT would be awesome. Regarding Quick, he's one fierce looking dude, and if he can play like he looks, holy crap!

Right. I'd love to see us be able to use TA and Bailey in more situational roles at first. Use them - definitely. But how cool would it be if you didn't NEED to use them in every down situations and instead they rotated in and the defense couldn't key on them for fear of being burned by real threats everywhere else.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

Right. I'd love to see us be able to use TA and Bailey in more situational roles at first. Use them - definitely. But how cool would it be if you didn't NEED to use them in every down situations and instead they rotated in and the defense couldn't key on them for fear of being burned by real threats everywhere else.
When you add our tight ends, and speedy RB's coming out of the backfield. I'm not as worried as I was before. I think that we will be OK in our youth. Could be downright fucking scary.

We, if everyone gels, will create the most diverse match-up nightmares in the league. I don't see how Seattle, in particular, can match up with us.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 wrote:

If I remember correctly, he really looked good in practice last year too. I'm gonna wait to see how well he recognizes when he needs to make blitz adjustments and the like in game situations. Sounds great though. :bg:

Albe you ain't a pulling that "wait and see crap" with me...U can't see squat!

t0329.gif

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LesBaker in panic mode:

Calm down Les. Believe it or not I was going to try it in another thread and found I'd already forgot how to do it. Plus I just tried again and I can't find the button. :=:)

And BTW, :neener:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:
LesBaker said:
X said:
albefree69 said:

Too funny. I suspect you're right. Someone hide the emoticons! Though I'm a little annoyed that all he put in the quotes on my last comment was "RamFan503 wrote:" Kinda look forward to his more colorful descriptions of what we write. Is he getting tired already? :lol: Hey old guy. Keep up.

We weren't allowed to have cool emoticons from where we came. So Albe is embracing his new digs like Les always twists the threads to balls. :shock:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
EastRam taking the low road:
Albe you ain't a pulling that "wait and see crap" with me...U can't see squat!

t0329.gif

I'm going to take the high road here and just point out that when I say "see", I mean read reports by my fellow board members who can see. :p

Old farts like you have only two eyes while I have a whole board full of eyes. :hmph:

:ahight: