Andrew Whitworth brings protective services to Rams/LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Andrew Whitworth brings protective services to Rams

By Gary Klein

During the last eight of his 11 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, Andrew Whitworth played left tackle and protected a couple of very good quarterbacks.

With Whitworth minding their blind side, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton each led the Bengals to the playoffs.

So it was no surprise in March when the Rams and new coach Sean McVay pursued the three-time Pro Bowl selection, and guaranteed him a handsome sum, to protect quarterback Jared Goff, the top pick in the 2016 draft.

Whitworth already sees traits that Goff shares with his previous high-profile teammates, especially the more “laid back” Palmer.

“It’s just getting him to let it out and be confident and be assertive and run the show,” Whitworth said of Goff, adding, “We all go as far as the quarterback goes and it’s our job to make his job easier.”

The Rams signed the 6-foot-7, 333-pound Whitworth to keep Goff upright, provide team leadership and set an example for members of the Rams’ embattled offensive line.

Last season, the same group fell apart after performing adequately in 2015.

Running back Todd Gurley, the 2015 offensive rookie of the year, could not escape the backfield without getting hit. Goff was under siege throughout nearly all of his seven starts.

Les Snead. Among their top priorities was finding a left tackle that could set the tone on the field and in the locker room.

They gave Whitworth, 35, a three-year, $36-million contract, with $15 million guaranteed, to replace struggling Greg Robinson and anchor the line.

“Obviously,” Goff said at the start of offseason workouts in April, “Whitworth is going to be great for me.”

McVay too.

“He’s been a great sounding board for me,” McVay said last week. “Just watching the way he communicates with his teammates. How receptive he is to coach Kromer’s techniques. … His presence has definitely been felt on our offense.”

Whitworth joined a position group that includes: Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft; seven-year veteran Rodger Saffold; third-year pros Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown; and other young players. The Rams signed veteran center John Sullivan a month after acquiring Whitworth.

Leadership, Whitworth said, is “more about you just kind of being who you are” rather than telling someone what to do.

“The bottom line is the best way to lead is to play well,” he said a few weeks ago, after the first day of organized team activity workouts.

Whitworth said last week that he was by nature “an encourager” and that he was providing positive reinforcement for his linemates and other players.

The message: “Hey, let’s take these steps toward this direction and let’s let this be our new standard.”

Teammates are listening.

“What he’s brought to me is how to be a pro,” Brown said.

Brown, a third-round pick from Louisville in the 2015 draft, played guard during his first two NFL seasons. Last week, coaches moved him to right tackle, where he took first-team reps in place of Robinson.

Whitworth has shared his experience and knowledge with all linemen, Brown said.

“He’s really an open book,” Brown said. “He has a personality that he’s here for the unit and team to get better in whatever ways that are needed.

“So the energy that he gives off makes it easier for me and, I’m sure, the other guys to kind of go up and ask different questions. He gives you good feedback, and that allows you to be more confident and gives you the ability to really dive in and use him as a tool.”

Whitworth played at Louisiana State and was selected in the second round draft of the 2006 draft. He has played in 168 regular-season NFL games. Asked how long it took him to become comfortable as a pro, he said it was an ongoing process.

“I don’t think I’m comfortable now,” Whitworth said. “As I say, ‘Every tackle’s nightmare is third and long.’ … I get just as nervous and just as freaked out about games now as I did when I walked in the league.

“I think you just learn that, over time, what happens in the situation, what happens under pressure is what you’ve practiced and what you’ve repped.”

The Rams will conduct their final four OTA workouts this week. A mandatory minicamp June 13-15 will follow.

Whitworth knows that the Rams’ success will be tied to Goff’s play — and the performance of the offensive line.

A young quarterback such as Goff must not only find his way but also develop the ability to inspire his protectors, Whitworth said.

“I think sometimes they only think about skill — what can they get out of receivers, what can they get out of this and that,” Whitworth said. “And the reality is, man, the better that line plays, the more time they have, the more opportunities they have to do special things.”

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Still very concerned about the right side of the line with Havenstein moving to Guard and as of right now the RT position in flux as I would love Greg Robinson to really take that position as for some reason I'm not that confident in Jamon Brown because pass protection was his issue, but again I trust OL Coach Aaron Kromer to ensure this unit is ready come September Morn.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Rams are lucky to have Whitworth. He sounds like a natural born leader.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

By Gary Klein

During the last eight of his 11 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, Andrew Whitworth played left tackle and protected a couple of very good quarterbacks.

With Whitworth minding their blind side, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton each led the Bengals to the playoffs.

So it was no surprise in March when the Rams and new coach Sean McVay pursued the three-time Pro Bowl selection, and guaranteed him a handsome sum, to protect quarterback Jared Goff, the top pick in the 2016 draft.

Whitworth already sees traits that Goff shares with his previous high-profile teammates, especially the more “laid back” Palmer.

“It’s just getting him to let it out and be confident and be assertive and run the show,” Whitworth said of Goff, adding, “We all go as far as the quarterback goes and it’s our job to make his job easier.”

The Rams signed the 6-foot-7, 333-pound Whitworth to keep Goff upright, provide team leadership and set an example for members of the Rams’ embattled offensive line.

Running back Todd Gurley, the 2015 offensive rookie of the year, could not escape the backfield without getting hit. Goff was under siege throughout nearly all of his seven starts.

Les Snead. Among their top priorities was finding a left tackle that could set the tone on the field and in the locker room.

They gave Whitworth, 35, a three-year, $36-million contract, with $15 million guaranteed, to replace struggling Greg Robinson and anchor the line.

“Obviously,” Goff said at the start of offseason workouts in April, “Whitworth is going to be great for me.”

McVay too.

“He’s been a great sounding board for me,” McVay said last week. “Just watching the way he communicates with his teammates. How receptive he is to coach Kromer’s techniques. … His presence has definitely been felt on our offense.”

Whitworth joined a position group that includes: Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft; seven-year veteran Rodger Saffold; third-year pros Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown; and other young players. The Rams signed veteran center John Sullivan a month after acquiring Whitworth.

Leadership, Whitworth said, is “more about you just kind of being who you are” rather than telling someone what to do.

“The bottom line is the best way to lead is to play well,” he said a few weeks ago, after the first day of organized team activity workouts.

Whitworth said last week that he was by nature “an encourager” and that he was providing positive reinforcement for his linemates and other players.

The message: “Hey, let’s take these steps toward this direction and let’s let this be our new standard.”

Teammates are listening.

Brown, a third-round pick from Louisville in the 2015 draft, played guard during his first two NFL seasons. Last week, coaches moved him to right tackle, where he took first-team reps in place of Robinson.

“He’s really an open book,” Brown said. “He has a personality that he’s here for the unit and team to get better in whatever ways that are needed.

“So the energy that he gives off makes it easier for me and, I’m sure, the other guys to kind of go up and ask different questions. He gives you good feedback, and that allows you to be more confident and gives you the ability to really dive in and use him as a tool.”

Whitworth played at Louisiana State and was selected in the second round draft of the 2006 draft. He has played in 168 regular-season NFL games. Asked how long it took him to become comfortable as a pro, he said it was an ongoing process.

“I don’t think I’m comfortable now,” Whitworth said. “As I say, ‘Every tackle’s nightmare is third and long.’ … I get just as nervous and just as freaked out about games now as I did when I walked in the league.

“I think you just learn that, over time, what happens in the situation, what happens under pressure is what you’ve practiced and what you’ve repped.”

The Rams will conduct their final four OTA workouts this week. A mandatory minicamp June 13-15 will follow.

Whitworth knows that the Rams’ success will be tied to Goff’s play — and the performance of the offensive line.

A young quarterback such as Goff must not only find his way but also develop the ability to inspire his protectors, Whitworth said.

“I think sometimes they only think about skill — what can they get out of receivers, what can they get out of this and that,” Whitworth said. “And the reality is, man, the better that line plays, the more time they have, the more opportunities they have to do special things.”

[www.latimes.com]
I know I'm not the only one, But I can't help but get more and more pumped-up, about our O-Line, the more I read about what Whitworth alone brings to the Team!!
McVay and Snead scored BIG when they brought Whitworth in! no pun intended!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He was a great acquisition by the Rams. He's been durable AND good.

I think this piece also highlights what he brings to the table outside of game day.

Psycho_X

Legend
Whitworth is the type of player you wish your whole team was. God I wish he was 30 still but if we can get two solid years out of him Goff will go through his learning curve years with one of the best guarding his back. That is a godsend for this young offense, QB, and coach frankly.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Whitworth is the type of player you wish your whole team was. God I wish he was 30 still but if we can get two solid years out of him Goff will go through his learning curve years with one of the best guarding his back. That is a godsend for this young offense, QB, and coach frankly.
Who's coach frankly?:D

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couple of things...

Whit is gonna be worth his weight in gold just in terms of OL leadership and locker room OL culture building. Some of the comments made by Jamon Brown and others about him kinda hint at what was missing last year with our OL. So many youngsters there last year that the blind was leading the blind all too often. Now, 60% of our OL are long term seasoned vets. And Hav plus Brown/GRob should soak up Kromer's teachings like sponges.

The other thing that I liked hearing was Vinny's commentary about what a positive difference Whit at LOT and Hav at RG have made in OL play. That's huge, huh?

Kromer was our 3rd best signing. Right behind McVay himself and Wade.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Couple of things...

Whit is gonna be worth his weight in gold just in terms of OL leadership and locker room OL culture building. Some of the comments made by Jamon Brown and others about him kinda hint at what was missing last year with our OL. So many youngsters there last year that the blind was leading the blind all too often. Now, 60% of our OL are long term seasoned vets. And Hav plus Brown/GRob should soak up Kromer's teachings like sponges.

The other thing that I liked hearing was Vinny's commentary about what a positive difference Whit at LOT and Hav at RG have made in OL play. That's huge, huh?

Kromer was our 3rd best signing. Right behind McVay himself and Wade.

Hmm..
Gold is currently 1281.77 per ounce.
Whitworth is 330 lbs, so 5280 ounces.
1281.77 times 5280 = $6,767,745.60!

Sorry I couldn't help it..

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Hmm..

Gonna let that one slide, rdw.

Mostly 'cause the price of gold actually crossed my mind as I typed that. Lol.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Hmm..

An ounce of gold is actually a pretty decent size so imagine stretching an ounce out to a foot.
5280 feet is a mile.
So he is also a mile long strip of gold.
So that is approximately a 10 gauge wire a mile long.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A good tackle, is worth more than a great wr....A great tackle...probably worth 2 wr's & a decent RB.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

By Gary Klein

McVay too.

Whitworth joined a position group that includes: Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft; seven-year veteran Rodger Saffold; third-year pros Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown; and other young players.

The Rams signed veteran center John Sullivan a month after acquiring Whitworth. Leadership, Whitworth said, is “more about you just kind of being who you are” rather than telling someone what to do.

Teammates are listening.

“I think sometimes they only think about skill — what can they get out of receivers, what can they get out of this and that,” Whitworth said.

“And the reality is, man, the better that line plays, the more time they have, the more opportunities they have to do special things.”
[www.latimes.com]

Bonsignore: In Andrew Whitworth, the Rams are getting much more than a new left tackle

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE
PUBLISHED: June 6, 2017
0605_spo_ldn-l-rams-ota07_23961637_562096-1.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS — It was a simple gesture, nothing more than a few words of instruction from one player to another. But the poignancy and significance of the moment weren’t lost on Rob Havenstein upon getting a quick visit recently from new Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

The unsolicited manner in which Whitworth approached Havenstein was incredibly telling, and that stood out to Havenstein. As it should for the rest of the offensive line and the Rams in general, for that matter.

See, there are multiple reasons the Rams targeted Whitworth, 35, in free agency this offseason – above and beyond his All-Pro caliber play, which will be a revelation to a young, struggling offensive line – and reeled him in with a three-year, $36 million contract.

The qualities the Rams coveted in Whitworth extend beyond his personal performance, which is rated among the best at his position in the NFL.

Chief among them are his veteran leadership, work ethic and the non-threatening manner in which he serves up wisdom and perspective in easy-to-swallow spoonfuls rather than forcing it down someone’s throat.

Whitworth is, as one Rams executive recently pointed out, exactly what the youngest locker room in the NFL needed.

And some of the dynamics have already begun to surface.

“It is early but you see it right away,” new Rams coach Sean McVay said. “You get around him – even for me when you’re talking to him from a player’s perspective, on some of the things that you want to handle with the team.

He’s been a great sounding board for me. Just watching the way he communicates with his teammates.

How receptive he is to Coach (Aaron) Kromer’s techniques. He certainly knows what it looks like. He’s played at a Pro Bowl level the last couple years. We feel very fortunate to have him. His presence has definitely been felt on our offense.”

As Havenstein recently discovered.

The Rams were going through a practice during Organized Team Activities, and after a complete overhaul of the coaching staff from last year, veterans and rookies alike were trying to get a handle on their new responsibilities.

Whitworth included, given his newness to the franchise and learning to play left tackle in McVay’s offense.

In other words, Whitworth had plenty stacked up on his own plate, let alone keeping a watchful eye on his linemates. And on this particular day, the move Havenstein is making from right tackle to right guard was getting the best of him.

Little did he know, he wasn’t fighting this battle alone. A few feet to his left, Whitworth detected the frustration and anxiousness in his new teammate.

“And without me even asking, (he) came over to me and (said): ‘Hey, think about this: As soon as you set, think about this, and that will put you in the right position to then do what you need to do rather than thinking about 100 things at once,’” Havenstein remembered Whitworth telling him.

Simple. But powerful.

“And that’s without me even asking him,” Havenstein said, appreciatively.

And it perfectly sums up the attributes the Rams went looking for this offseason in bringing in a handful of veteran players through free agency.

On paper, Robert Woods, John Sullivan, Connor Barwin, Lance Dunbar and Whitworth all provide upgrades at positions that desperately needed enrichment.

But their presence will also be felt in the much murkier world of intangibles, as they’ll serve as veteran mentors in a young locker room that, as willing as it is to establish a winning culture, still needs role models to lead the way.

“If you carry yourself the right way, do things the right way, guys will notice it quick,” Whitworth said.

That’s already happening with the Rams.

“Just having older guys in the locker room, you just get more people who are doing the right thing all the time. And people can see that,” guard Rodger Saffold said.

“Not just from one person that they consider a ‘try hard guy” Now they have seven or eight veterans all doing it the right way. And that becomes contagious.”

No one is more appreciative of the veteran additions than Saffold, who was the lone graybeard on an impossibly young offensive line the last two years.

Saffold, like Whitworth and Sullivan, is a willing tutor but at times last year he felt overwhelmed trying to excel at his job – which included playing three positions – and being a sounding board for his young linemates.

“A lot of times I was trying to help everybody, and there was just too much going on at one time,” Saffold said.

Into that classroom steps Whitworth, a 6-foot-7, 330-pound mountain of a man whose physical stature is matched by his credentials.

The 12-year-veteran has been to the Pro Bowl three of the last five years and been named All-Pro the last two seasons. Last year, Pro Football Focus ranked him first among all left tackles.

He’s also a three-time state champion in high school whose recruiting class at LSU won the most games in school history – including a national championship – and was a key player in the Cincinnati Bengals’ climb from cellar-dweller to playoff contender.

That includes helping the Bengals bridge the transition from veteran quarterback Carson Palmer to rookie Andy Dalton, a role he will play again with Jared Goff in Los Angeles.

“Andy and I were very close and spent a lot of time trying to pull that thing and get us to be a winner year in and year out,” Whitworth said. “I welcome that (kind of) relationship with Jared.”

From high school to the NFL, Whitworth has lived the good and bad and been part of the transformation from one to the other. And that makes him uniquely qualified to help the Rams as they try to end a 13-year string of non-winning seasons.

He doesn’t just welcome the challenge that comes with that, he purposely left his comfort zone he built for himself in Cincinnati seeking it.

“I really had an easy situation in Cincinnati as a player,” Whitworth said. “The kind of situation a lot of players sit around thinking: ‘Man I wish I could have it like that.'” But I wanted the challenge. I wanted the opportunity to go do something that people say can’t be done.

I’m excited and I’m loving it. I’m welcoming the adversity and everything that comes with it. I am, because I truly believe in the power of mentality and strength and believing in yourself. And hopefully we can all pull that way and do something special.”

The Rams have been dreadful at left tackle the last three years waiting for Greg Robinson to emerge as the player they envisioned upon drafting him second overall in 2014.

His failure to do so – coupled with injuries and inexperience – caused a disastrous domino effect along an offensive line that ranked last in the NFL in 2016.

The chain reaction that resulted was an offense unable to run the ball effectively – Todd Gurley went from 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2015 to 885 yards and six touchdowns in 2016 – and quarterbacks Case Keenum and Goff spent far too much time under duress rather than operating in clean pockets.

The results were disastrous.

Whitworth is being counted on to stabilize the unit by locking down the left tackle spot and allowing Robinson or Jamon Brown to shift to right tackle,

Havenstein to settle in at right guard and Saffold to remain at left guard rather than sliding up and down the line as he did last year.

If Sullivan can stay healthy at center, what was an eyesore last year can at least be league average in 2017. And that changes everything.

Nearly as importantly, Whitworth will be an example and sounding board for a young offensive line in need of positive mentors.

“Sometimes people misconstrue it a little bit. Most of this line is really young,” Whitworth said.

“The reality for me is just being here and being an encourager and help them when they’re doing something positive or pulling them aside and saying ‘Hey you’re doing a good job of that.’

Or if there’s something I feel, (saying) ‘Hey man I’ve done it a different way or seen it a certain way and this is what I feel (the coaches) are telling you what to do.’

“I feel like that’s kind of what I’m expected to do, just be a extra person in their ear telling them something positive or let’s take steps towards his direction and let’s let this be our new standard.”
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/0...are-getting-much-more-than-a-new-left-tackle/

0605_spo_ldn-l-rams-ota08_23961639_231318.jpg

Last edited: