Alternative Browser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I alternate between Google Chrome and Firefox but they've both become so fat and bloated that I'm looking for another browser. Any suggestions for an alternative browser? I'm using a Dell with Windows XP. Thanks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I'll download it today and give it a shot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Are you sure it's your browser?

Chrome for me is so simple, smooth and slick. I love firefox too but everything was too big and in your face.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's probably more the fact that I have an older pc. Chrome and Firefox were much better. imo, years ago before they added on tons of crap. I would use Firefox 3.0 except that it's not supported and you can't use adblock. Tried Commodo Dragon this morning and it wouldn't work for videos. So now I'm using Maxthon. It works fine but their adblocker sucks. Thanks for asking.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Chrome has gotten pretty bad. I actually switched back to the evil empire because Chrome has become so bloated. I keep it on my computer because sometimes some things simply won't run on the latest IE. I may try Comodo though.

PhxRam

It's probably more the fact that I have an older pc. Chrome and Firefox were much better. imo, years ago before they added on tons of crap. I would use Firefox 3.0 except that it's not supported and you can't use adblock. Tried Commodo Dragon this morning and it wouldn't work for videos. So now I'm using Maxthon. It works fine but their adblocker sucks. Thanks for asking.

What problems were you having with videos?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It said I needed an upgrade and also HTML5. I got rid of the download after that. The Maxthon Cloud browser, which I'm on at the moment, is working fine except I need to figure out the AdHunter thingy.

PhxRam

It said I needed an upgrade and also HTML5. I got rid of the download after that. The Maxthon Cloud browser, which I'm on at the moment, is working fine except I need to figure out the AdHunter thingy.

Isn't Maxthon a Chinese made browser?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm not using Firefox 3.0 because it's not supported any longer. I wish I could because it's light compared to what it is now. Yes, I believe Maxthon Cloud is Chinese. I will give konqueror a look tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Huh. I've used chrome for less than a year and never saw all this crap you speak of. I have the bear minimum on: ABP, my Google Theme and Google Cast for my Chromecast. Maybe that's why?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Internet Explorer doesn't play nice with my pc for some reason.

Huh. I've used chrome for less than a year and never saw all this crap you speak of. I have the bear minimum on: ABP, my Google Theme and Google Cast for my Chromecast. Maybe that's why?

Every year that goes by Chrome seems to take longer to load websites. Then again I have an older Dell with Windows XP. It might be time to reformat the whole mess and start over.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Every year that goes by Chrome seems to take longer to load websites. Then again I have an older Dell with Windows XP. It might be time to reformat the whole mess and start over.
It might be that time, yeah. I have 7 extensions on my Chrome browser, and it's still fast. The fastest browser I use, actually - and I've tried them all. There are, however, stripped-down versions of Firefox that you can try. I don't know if what they lack is going to be something you need, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Waterfox
Pale Moon

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Downloaded the latest version of IE yesterday and it automatically made itself the default browser. I really hate that! It went into the recycle bin where it belongs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It might be that time, yeah. I have 7 extensions on my Chrome browser, and it's still fast. The fastest browser I use, actually - and I've tried them all. There are, however, stripped-down versions of Firefox that you can try. I don't know if what they lack is going to be something you need, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Waterfox
Pale Moon

Downloaded both browsers just now with negative results.

Waterfox popup: "This instillation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

Pale Moon popup: "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library KERNEL 32.dll."

Am currently using Slim Browser which I just now downloaded. Will take this baby for a spin. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Slim Browser notified me when trying to play a video - "The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback. Get the latest Flash Player
Learn more about upgrading to an HTML5 browser." Bye

http://www.torchbrowser.com/ might be worth a look as well.

Will check it out. Thanks!