All-Time Favorite Rams Coaches?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
@paceram I'm confused here.. Did you mean Head Coaches or just coaches in general?

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@paceram I'm confused here.. Did you mean Head Coaches or just coaches in general?

Good question! I was really asking about Head Coaches but I would be interested in hearing who some of your favorite assistance coaches as well!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good question! I was really asking about Head Coaches but I would be interested in hearing who some of your favorite assistance coaches as well!
Now your Really going to make it rough!!!:confused::LOL::D Fun Time! ( I'll Be Back!)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You didn't like DV eh?
Well its a 2 part answer,
1) I started being a fan somewhere around 77-78 and Malavasi was the first coach I remember. And to this day, when I think of what a coach should look like, its him. Lol. So since Malavasi there have only been 8 head coaches, 3 of which were failures (even though I think Rich Brooks gets a bad rap) and our current coach. So we're really only working with a pool of 5....
2) DV? Well, just my .02 but I find him to be quite over rated and I believe (again my opinion) fans creatively forget how much of a failure he was before 1999. I didnt like the hire (I thought Brooks should have gotten another year) and when he hired the geriatric crew of coaches, I couldnt stand it. But yes, when forced to go with Martz, the story writes itself. So he's not in my bottom but not on top.

Like Martz or not, but the fact remains that the Rams havent had a winning season since 1989 without Martz on the team

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like Martz or not, but the fact remains that the Rams havent had a winning season since 1989 without Martz on the team

Good points, but IMO, the two men together were great and Vermeil went on to do a very good job with the Chiefs with Al Saunders as his coordinator. One thing you're not giving Vermeil credit for was his ability to draft and empower the people around him. Like Charley Armey for example, Martz was not very good at this and IMO the Rams gave Martz too much power on personnel decisions, but they gave him the same power as Vermeil.

In the end IMO the Rams would have been better if Vermeil had finished his contract and they had Martz inked to taker over after that. Martz would have benefited from two more years of learning from Vermeil. As to Vermiel being overrated? Not a chance, he won with two franchises that had not won for a very long time.

The Eagles were a joke and the Rams were a circus act before Richard Albert "Dick" Vermeil came to town and yes Martz made them better, but it was also the acquisition of talent too that led to the perfect storm as we know it in 1999 and if the two had stayed together I am sure there would be a few more Lombardi Trophies in the trophy case.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points, but IMO, the two men together were great and Vermeil went on to do a very good job with the Chiefs with Al Saunders as his coordinator. One thing you're not giving Vermeil credit for was his ability to draft and empower the people around him. Like Charley Armey for example, Martz was not very good at this and IMO the Rams gave Martz too much power on personnel decisions, but they gave him the same power as Vermeil.

In the end IMO the Rams would have been better if Vermeil had finished his contract and they had Martz inked to taker over after that. Martz would have benefited from two more years of learning from Vermeil. As to Vermiel being overrated? Not a chance, he won with two franchises that had not won for a very long time.

The Eagles were a joke and the Rams were a circus act before Richard Albert "Dick" Vermeil came to town and yes Martz made them better, but it was also the acquisition of talent too that led to the perfect storm as we know it in 1999 and if the two had stayed together I am sure there would be a few more Lombardi Trophies in the trophy case.
Likewise, great points.
Only correction Id like to make is that I don't over rate vermeil as a coach but I do think his Rams career is. And I only say over rate in the sense that while remembered for brining us out only Super Bowl win, and God bless you for that DV, his 1st 2 seasons were awful. Spags/linehan like.
Brooks is looked at as a failure yet his 13-19 record is quite a bit better than DV 9-23 in his first 2 years.
Again end of the day it's all about personal opinion or preference.
I don't mean any disrespect towards DV he's just not in my top 3

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
For nostalgic reasons I would say George Allen. He was the coach when I first became a fan. Just like if someone asked who's my favorite QB. I'd say Roman Gabriel. My favorite receiver was Jack Snow. My favorite all time Ram would be Jack Youngblood.

But you can't argue with Dick Vermeil. He took us where no one ever did before.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For nostalgic reasons I would say George Allen. He was the coach when I first became a fan. Just like if someone asked who's my favorite QB. I'd say Roman Gabriel. My favorite receiver was Jack Snow. My favorite all time Ram would be Jack Youngblood.

But you can't argue with Dick Vermeil. He took us where no one ever did before.

Totally understand! Roman Gabriel will ALWAYS be my favorite QB!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Knox, Malavasi, Vermeil....maybe Robinson....Vermeil gets so low cause he wasn't here long enough...Protho wasn't no joke either, but don't remember him too well....fisher....how does he even get on this damn list?