All our 2016 Free agents (wow alot!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

One other thing to keep in mind. This past year we saw a $10 million jump from $123 to $133 million. Most people are estimating that it will jump at least another $10 million a year for 3 or 4 years, possibly more a couple of them. Remember the large share each team got from the TV contracts. As that goes up the salary cap will go up per the CBA with the players union. It's not going to be easy to keep everybody but the cap will increase substantially in the next few years.

actually the local tv revenue was much higher last year than expected, which is part of why it was a bigger jump than anticipated.. I expect it to jump by $10-$15 million within the next 2 years

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I can bet that 95% of that list won't be on the team after it's all said and done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Looking at the list I'd say one of the two Hayes and Sims will be back the other will be let to explore free agency. Barron will be offered a deal same with Fairley I think it just depends on what other teams offer, they both could get more money elsewhere. Quick with a good and fully healthy year is back and Pead I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone this year. They're already talking about extending JJ and Foles. Fisher seems to love Harkey and Benny. McLeod seems to live a charmed life. And I'd say Zeurlein needs a solid year or he could be replaced with a 6th round pick. Looking into the magic 8 ball I'll say we bring back

Sims, Barron, Quick, JJ, Foles, Harkey, Benny and Zeurlein.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looking at the list I'd say one of the two Hayes and Sims will be back the other will be let to explore free agency. Barron will be offered a deal same with Fairley I think it just depends on what other teams offer, they both could get more money elsewhere. Quick with a good and fully healthy year is back and Pead I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone this year. They're already talking about extending JJ and Foles. Fisher seems to love Harkey and Benny. McLeod seems to live a charmed life. And I'd say Zeurlein needs a solid year or he could be replaced with a 6th round pick. Looking into the magic 8 ball I'll say we bring back

Sims, Barron, Quick, JJ, Foles, Harkey, Benny and Zeurlein.

Hard to argue with your list.

I think Trumaine is a good fallback and option if JJ doesn't sign.

I think the Rams would love Will Hayes to come back. At 31, he might be reasonable.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I read through that pretty well and don't see it ever mention projections for the upcoming years salary caps. It projects the league needs to grow revenue by $1 billion a year for 13 years to meet Goodell's projection. If it does the salary cap should go up another $10 million each year just like the article I linked said. It's total revenue not just TV. And yes TV is the largest portion of that as we all know. The real test coming up is the court battles with Direct TV for the NFL package. If they lose that and the package is broken down like the suit wants the TV revenues could drop. Your article seems to agree with me though that revenues should go up another billion like they did this past year and if it does we should see another $10 million jump in cap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to argue with your list.

I think Trumaine is a good fallback and option if JJ doesn't sign.

I think the Rams would love Will Hayes to come back. At 31, he might be reasonable.
I agree with ya there. I think it'll be either or Hayes or Sims as we've drafted a couple project DE the last few years and with all these other free agents it could force one of them out, heck it could force both out. I would love actually if we resign both JJ and Tru. We'll see what happens. It's fun being an arm chair GM!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Seems like a lot.
But how many do the Rams really have to bring back? Some of the names might not the team this year.
A decent draft and and a couple outside FA's and maybe a UDFA makes the team every year is say 10 out of the 53 man roster.
That's a normal turnover.
The Rams will focus on the core before the next off season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sorry, but i'm just not seeing a problem here. As it stands, with all those potential free agents we will also have close to a minimum of $34.mil of CAP space available. Add in what is becoming a near annual rise of another $10.mil per team to the overall CAP, now you're up to near $44mil. Right now the Rams have over $7.mil in available CAP for the remainder of this season, and if we don't add another free agent or extend someone like Jenkins (which would reduce the 2016 FA list by 1), this extra CAP space could be carried over to next season, … that could conceivably bring the 2016 available CAP to near $5o - 51mil. Consider also that it is highly improbable that Chris Long or Jared Cook will be earning what their present contracts call for. I suspect that both these players will be extended/restructured or face becoming CAP casualties. CLong's CAP hit next season is over $14mil, but his dead money cost drops closer to $2.5mil, Cook's $8mil CAP hit also drops closer to $2.mil in dead money, so both these salaries enter prime territory for restructure.
I see no problem for the Rams retaining whoever they want, even with Foles making some real money should he be re-signed. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sorry, but i'm just not seeing a problem here. As it stands, with all those potential free agents we will also have close to a minimum of $34.mil of CAP space available. Add in what is becoming a near annual rise of another $10.mil per team to the overall CAP, now you're up to near $44mil. Right now the Rams have over $7.mil in available CAP for the remainder of this season, and if we don't add another free agent or extend someone like Jenkins (which would reduce the 2016 FA list by 1), this extra CAP space could be carried over to next season, … that could conceivably bring the 2016 available CAP to near $5o - 51mil. Consider also that it is highly improbable that Chris Long or Jared Cook will be earning what their present contracts call for. I suspect that both these players will be extended/restructured or face becoming CAP casualties. CLong's CAP hit next season is over $14mil, but his dead money cost drops closer to $2.5mil, Cook's $8mil CAP hit also drops closer to $2.mil in dead money, so both these salaries enter prime territory for restructure.
I see no problem for the Rams retaining whoever they want, even with Foles making some real money should he be re-signed. jmo.

Exactly, River. Their existing contracts open up cap dollars.

Again; KD has this figured out.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody here is saying there is a problem, just solutions, but what those are is the questions to be answered.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Foles has to be our first priority. Even if he's not great, you HAVE TO have a QB.

After that, Jenkins, and Greg the Leg. Guys like that are hard to replace. They both have something special to them, that you don't find every day.

We will undoubtedly lose some good players, but I'm pretty sure we will be okay.

Fairley probably won't be resigned, but he's a luxury player on a team like ours anyway.

ram007

Starter
So we are going to "re tool" when we are about to turn the corner. Freaking fantastic!

iced

I think I read through that pretty well and don't see it ever mention projections for the upcoming years salary caps. It projects the league needs to grow revenue by $1 billion a year for 13 years to meet Goodell's projection. If it does the salary cap should go up another $10 million each year just like the article I linked said. It's total revenue not just TV. And yes TV is the largest portion of that as we all know. The real test coming up is the court battles with Direct TV for the NFL package. If they lose that and the package is broken down like the suit wants the TV revenues could drop. Your article seems to agree with me though that revenues should go up another billion like they did this past year and if it does we should see another $10 million jump in cap.

you missed the point of my article - it's not that just the TV contracts were a reason for the salary cap bump; but also because of the growth in local tv revenue. And it's a hard figure for them to project - That's all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On the UFA DL'ers....One would think that these three back ups could be considered starters [Hayes/Sims/Fairley] on many other teams. Starting DL'ers make big big money $$$:cautious:.

High probability that K.Demoff will NOT be able to match most other teams offers if they are looking @ these three as starting material:notsure:. No way the Ram Org. will be able to pay the 31 yr old William Hayes the near 5 million like he will earn this season:(. Hayes, while he is no healthy Chris Long has shown he is a outstanding professional well balanced DE & for all practical purposes was the Rams starting LDE last season.

I tend to think like CGI mentioned above that KD/ Snead/Fisher have already place their DL 2016 UFA plan into action......(y)

Rams brought in DE/DT Ethan Westbrooks last season. EW looked real good early in his rookie season until he badly damaged & broke his hand. I expect EW to have an very good TC.

Then in the FA'cy they made a move to land pass rushing large OLB'er in over 6-3 255 plus pound Akeem Ayers. Ayers has already shown to have outstanding with the ability to stick his hand in the dirt and rush like an end on third downs. Ayers' extreme athleticism is going to give him a versatile role on this Gregg defense.

Rams followed up draft week in bringing in Louis Trinca-Pasat & Martin Ifedi. LTP is a DT who has some of the same skills as Fairley not Brockers. Ifedi who is listed as a DE is more of a run stuffer than pass rusher...good chance he will be worked inside. Both could be a future candidate to replace Nick Fairley if he demands big $$$.

Finally KD/Snead/Fisher have the 2016 draft to help fill the 3 DL vacancies if the four above mentioned Rams fail to prove their worth of a roster spot. :bueller:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Who do I want back? Lets see:
Barron, Hayes, Quick, Fairley, Jenkins, Foles, GZ, Harkey....

On my maybe list:
McLeod, Tru, Pead, Givens, Bates......Depends on how they play....Keep drafting Snisher....