Aldon Smith suspension could be cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...co-49ers-see-suspension-reduced-good-behavior

Aldon Smith suspension could be cut
Updated: October 21, 2014, 12:16 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

ESPN NFL's Chris Mortensen breaks down the possibility of 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith returning early from his nine-game suspension due to good behavior.

The San Francisco 49ers could get help sooner than expected following this week's bye because outside linebacker Aldon Smith's nine-game suspension could be reduced for good behavior, league sources confirmed Monday. Aldon Smith's nine-game suspension could be reduced for good behavior, league sources said.

Smith was suspended before the season by the NFL under terms of the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies. His nine-game suspension is set to end Nov. 10 after the 49ers play the Saints.

However, sources confirmed an NBC Sports report that Smith's suspension could be reduced by one or two games, which makes it possible he could be available to play in a Week 9 game against the Rams or the Week 10 game against the Saints. He must maintain his good behavior for commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce the penalty.

Under terms of his suspension, the league has allowed Smith to be in the team's facility for meetings and conditioning, although he has not been allowed to practice with the team.

A reduction to Smith's suspension would not set a precedent, as other players, including Ben Roethlisberger and Brandon Marshall, have had similar suspensions reduced.

Why are they thinking of doing this? This guy is doing a hard, well earned 9-game suspension for the multiple crimes he made off the field. The gun charge, the DUI where he crashed into a tree, and the bomb threat. He deserves to serve the full 9-game suspension (more imo). Why would they let him off 1-2 games early? Just because he's stayed out of trouble for a stretch of 3 months? Good behavior is a positive and a sign of progress on his part, but it in no way, shape, or form erases his bad decisions in the past.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Meh I think they reduce it by one game if at all two would be excessive even look like they were going soft , a token game only the Saints would be upset

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Isn't Aldon Smith being allowed to be on site with the team? No wonder he's on his best behavior, with the team as a support staff. Give me a fucking break.

Athos

Legend
Goodell can suck my wang for a million if true. That'd be horse shit. This isn't a little kid who let out of time out because he shut up and stop hitting his brother.

This is a grown-ass man who needs to live through the consequences of his stupid actions. Dangerous actions too that put other people at risk. I say this as an MU alum too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sounds like we'll be playing against him.

We suck against the Niners.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL suspensions are too subjective. Good behavior? What?
Yeah, no shi$#!!
WTF is "good behavior"?
So lets reward a guy for acting like he should be acting in the first place?

What's next, Ray Rice suspension lifted for not beating up his wife lately?

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Would the NFL do the same for any player or just the stars that raise ratings.Its BS if they do reduce it,what little credibility they have left will be gone.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Because the last game of his ban is the Rams game, and the NFL doesn't want to leave it all on the refs next time?

We've beaten them with Aldon on the field before. Not a big deal to me. He still has to get into game shape, as well.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I was young and dumb once... Good behavior gets rewarded. I'd rather beat them with him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sure would like to get a definition of "Good Behavior". Does that mean he hasn't shot anyone, done drugs, driven drunk, or yelled bomb in an airport in the last two months? Seriously? Isn't the NFL trying to improve their image after the whole two game suspension of Ray Rice? So they are then going to award good behavior points to a team that totally did an about face on their policy regarding domestic abuse?

Writing is on the wall if Goodell does this. He absolutely HAS to go. What a tool.