Aaron Rodgers: "Size matters"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Let the jokes begin...:mrburns:

debate___does_i_have_big_hands_by_drewthewolf.jpg

For those who are wondering about Jared Goff's hand size, they measured in at 9.0 inches...oh, oh.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/02/25/jared-goff-hand-size-combine/80933712/
**********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gers-size-matters-when-it-comes-to-his-hands/

Aaron Rodgers: “Size matters” when it comes to his hands
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 20, 2017

When NFL evaluators descend on Indianapolis late next month for the Scouting Combine, people will laugh about their obsession with the measurements of the quarterbacks. But for all the jokes, there was a practical application of those numbers on display last week.

When Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was being sacked from behind by Cowboys safety Jeff Heath, he didn’t lose the ball he had in his right hand. Why not?

Size matters,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com.

When he was at the Scouting Combine, his hands measured 10 1/8 inches. Assuming they haven’t grown since then (or that he hasn’t had them stretched), that makes them officially large.

“His grip strength has got to be fantastic,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “I totally thought the same thing. During the game, I said, ‘That’s amazing that the ball did not come out.’”

Anything under 9 1/2 inches is considered small, and can make it harder for a quarterback to grip the ball well enough to spin it in inclement weather. Or in Rodgers case, to secure it without fumbling while being drilled from behind with 18 seconds left in a tied playoff game.

“That was a huge play because if the ball comes out right there, that’s probably the game for them because they’re already in field goal range,” Packers pass-rusher Julius Peppers said. “I think when he absorbed that hit and held onto the ball, that was just a great, instinctive play that probably saved the game for us.”

Instincts and big hands, neither of which you can teach.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Note that Austin Davis, Mark Sanchez, and Nick Foles have even bigger hands than Rodgers and that didn't seem to help them.

main-qimg-0f826c9351ec49008fcdae75b1daab70-c

jap

Legend
It's not just the size; one has to have a strong grip too. Steelers' QB Big Ben has a terrific pump fake because He can fake rifling the ball with a strong throwing motion. Most QB's trying to do the same with as much force as Ben would drop the rock.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Keep saying it, that the way the NFL measures hands is wrong. Going from thumb to pinky does not take into account all factors.

Hold a ball. How well you can grip it is moreso your span of thumb to middle finger, and secondarily your ring finger. Some folks have longer fingers than others, and with hand size varying widely and in different ways from palm width to individual finger lengths it's ridiculous to think there is one measurement that can give NFL decision makers a feel for how well the QB can grip the ball. Also, it is something that is important for RBs too, probably different fingers than with a QB but for ball security it would be the same.

What I would do is have them grip a large pipe that has standard width scoring lines on it. This would allow you to determine how long their thumb to each finger ratio is, their effective grip span to each finger. Then you draft an equation that takes the different measurements into account. I think the results would be interesting, and after tuning them year to year would provide a much more accurate predictor of ball security than the current method.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they play in inclement weather I believe there is some truth to that and being able to pump fake bigger hands makes things much easier the new gloves have helped, but as I've reminded my bride of 23 years..."Size, there is substitute!"

Bruce2980

Starter
Keep saying it, that the way the NFL measures hands is wrong. Going from thumb to pinky does not take into account all factors.

Hold a ball. How well you can grip it is moreso your span of thumb to middle finger, and secondarily your ring finger. Some folks have longer fingers than others, and with hand size varying widely and in different ways from palm width to individual finger lengths it's ridiculous to think there is one measurement that can give NFL decision makers a feel for how well the QB can grip the ball. Also, it is something that is important for RBs too, probably different fingers than with a QB but for ball security it would be the same.

What I would do is have them grip a large pipe that has standard width scoring lines on it. This would allow you to determine how long their thumb to each finger ratio is, their effective grip span to each finger. Then you draft an equation that takes the different measurements into account. I think the results would be interesting, and after tuning them year to year would provide a much more accurate predictor of ball security than the current method.
The PSI of the ball also plays into it, ask Brady, I mean ask his ball boy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought Goff measured 9.25" at or before combine?

I believe hand size matters. It's impossible not to.

But, I am pretty sure Goff's measured acceptably at 9.25".

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought Goff measured 9.25" at or before combine?

But, I am pretty sure Goff's measured acceptably at 9.25".

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/jared-goff-hands-have-grown-nfl-draft

Apparently Jared Goff's small hands have miraculously grown
By: Laken Litman

One of the biggest stories at the NFL combine last month was about potential top quarterback prospect Jared Goff and his small hands. Goff’s hands measured in at nine inches, which is under the threshold teams are looking for in passers, which is between 9 1/8 and 9 1/4, you see.

But at Goff’s Pro Day at Cal on Friday, it appeared his hands had miraculously grown. In just three weeks!

#NFL Network analysts discussing how Jared Goff's hand grew from 9 inches at Combine to 9 1/8 at Pro Day today. Teams like at least 9 1/8 - Mary Kay Cabot

Goff's hand span grew 1/8 of an inch in a month. Now 9 1/8" - Todd McShay

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll never play QB, damn it :)

Don't worry - neither will Trump
*This post is not to be intended as either an indication of any political stance, nor a personal attack. It is merely a reference to the John Oliver bit on Last Week Tonight*

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It used to for me too.

But I have a girl now.

Look at my icon. I have HAND. It's not JUST a five penis thing.

If you handed me a football I would be able to grip it with my prehensiles.

Just being logical HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA